Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Earplugs and Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 06:11 AM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to wear them regularly consider a really good pair. You form them yourself, etc. It will make a difference.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:51 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I allways use plugs, I find the buffeting is different with the different helmet I use, with the full face it is 10 times worse than with the half, i think you end up with the air in the full face helmet pressurerizing and de-pressurerizing as it has no where to escape like it does in the half this causes the buffeting on the ear plug and the pressure on the other side of the plug is the noise you hear, I have another full face that has tight fitting foam over the ears and this definately reduces the buffeting, I hope this helps,

Last edited by nigelgeast; 08-11-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 AM
chiefparry
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too wear plugs, will listen to my Ipod while riding, but on the occasions when I do not I really hear a lot of engine noises that scar me. I did not realize who much clatter and whin there is. Reading all the different posts here on the many different problems people have I start freaking out thinking my bike is falling apart. I have about 38k on my bike and it seems like every little noise now freaks me out, so I just prefer to wear the plugs, listen to tunes and wait fo a noise that breaks through the tunes, then I guess I have a problem to worry about.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:13 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting. I bought a set of the Sony noise canceling headphones for my MP3 player. I know that when I'm listening to music with noise cancel ON, the buffet/vibration seems more pronounced. I wonder if the absence of noise makes me more aware of other feedback while riding. It's kinda freaky that the engine and pipe noise is almost gone. Makes it tough to know exactly when to shift.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:18 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

The reason I haven't tried earplugs is I can hear cars coming up from behind. Do the plugs take that away?

Beary

Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't it dangerous to where plugs? Can't hear cars around you, horns, etc.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a problem. I can hear my pipes, my music etc. If you aren't wearing something to protect your ears then you are going to sustain damage that will affect you down the road.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:40 AM
RoadKingCop
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Beary and Crusher

The plugs mostly just reduce the low frequency flutter. You can still have a conversation with a passenger. You can even hear cars since a lot of the flutter is gone. That said, I don't wear them on my ElectraGlide. I'd imagine that I'm not allowed to wear them at work.
Ben

Old 08-07-2008, 10:46 AM
gibby122
Road Captain

Ive just started wearing ear plugs not that I have a RK Cust, never used to before, never had an issue with noise or buffering... it used to be alot worse on the stock seat (felt like I was in a high chair) I bought a Mustan solo and I seem to sit JUST a little lower than before, that helped with the buffering a good bit, the wind noise was still there. I really helps to wear them, makes for a much more enjoyable ride.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:03 AM
alwaysarider
Cruiser
Default Buffeting

If ya got a helmet visor, take it off. It helps with helmet buffeting and the corresponding noise.

Quick Reply: Earplugs and Buffeting