Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear cyl cut off 2009 models

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:44 PM
v8capt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear cyl cut off 2009 models

Thinking of trading my 2007 Road King for a 2009 Street Glide, then I found out they have added something I know nothing about. When the engine heats up the rear cyl stops firing. I just can't imagine what this sounds like. Does anyone have any experience with this new feature?
Capt Bob

Old 08-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Jager
Cruiser

It's an option included with the 2008+ ignition systems. You can turn it off if you want (simple key sequence turns it on and off).

It only shuts down the rear cylinder at while at idle, if the temp reaches a certain (quite high) threshold. As soon as you come off-idle the rear cylinder immediately fires.

It's a nice feature, if you ask me.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have this feature on my 08 UC. To protect the Engine the Rear Cylinder Fuel Injector Shuts off a a predetermined Cylinderhead Temp. 287 deg (I think) and the Inj. turns back on when the temp goes down or when You acceralate. This happens usually in heavy stop and go traffic. Your bike will idle a little rougher, but its no big deal, You will hardly notice it in operation, wihich is seldom unless You drive a lot in traffic. Enjoy Your 09 SG.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I think this subject is posted at least once an hour.

Once enabled (which the owners manual is very clear how to do - page 140 for 2008 touring).

System Function

When engine temperature reaches a pre-determined point, the EITMS will turn off the rear cylinder fuel injector. Idle speed will be maintained, however the rear cylinder will become an “air pump” which will work to cool the engine. EITMS will activate (rear cylinder will turn off) when all of the following conditions are met for approximately 6 seconds.

• Engine temperature is greater than 287° F domestic (165° C international)

• Twist grip opening less than 2.0%

• Vehicle speed under 1 MPH (2 KPH)

• Clutch lever in or transmission in neutral

Engine speed under 1200 RPM EITMS will disable (rear cylinder will again fire) if any one of the following occurs:

• Engine temperature falls below 275° F domestic (135° C international)

• Twist grip opening greater than 2.3%

• Vehicle speed exceeds 2 MPH (3 KPH)

• Engine speed exceeds 1350 RPM

• Clutch is released with vehicle in gear When the engine is in EITMS mode you may notice a difference in idle cadence. Additionally there may be a unique exhaust odor. These are both considered to be normal conditions.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

Originally Posted by v8capt
Thinking of trading my 2007 Road King for a 2009 Street Glide, then I found out they have added something I know nothing about. When the engine heats up the rear cyl stops firing. I just can't imagine what this sounds like. Does anyone have any experience with this new feature?
Capt Bob
If you want to "test drive" this feature, go by the dealer and ask them to turn the option "on" on your bike. I have a 2007 RK and the mechanic swears this feature is an engine saver. He enabled the option on my bike. On really hot days right about the time you think the bike is running hot, it will kick in...only at idle. It sounds like a funny idle with no loping. if you give it the slighest amount of gas, it starts running normally. It is essentially effortless on your part.

It does sound funny, but it only comes on when you need it and only when setting still, at idle, and the engine is hot. I think it is a great "peace of mind" option....and it doesn't cost a penny!

Andy

Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

You can turn the option on and off while sitting there in traffic. I had it off on my 09 and then later that day got into some serious traffic. I turned it on while sitting there and sure enough it kicked in. Wife leaned over and said, hey I smell something... you do that? IT was the bike . It idled a little different also. No biggy, and my chestnuts wernt roasting either. I like it and make sure it's on when I get in stop and go traffic.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 PM
GenuineNavyChief
Intermediate

You didn't notice a difference until reading it on here the other day. If you place your hand on the exhaust, it blows cool air unlike the front cylinder. Technology!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:51 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

really will not notice differance other than sound of putt-putt when at a light. only kicks in after few seconds while ure at idle at pre determined temp as above post.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:23 PM
King Crimson
Tourer

Questions...how much cooler will your engine run when it's active? Will it cool enough to let the 2nd cylinder kick back on?

Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

You can turn it on and off on 08 touring models by closing the throttle and going a bit past closed. Hold it there for three seconds, and the cruise control light will flash green. You do not have to have the CC option for it to work or to see the indicator. The CC indicator light is on the speedo of all the touring models. To turn it back off its exactly the same procedure.....just the CC light will flash red. This can be done with the bike running or just with the ign switch in the run position. So if all of the sudden you find yourself in heavy traffic, all you have to do is turn the system on.....and then you could just leave it on. IIRC the default setting from the factory is ON.

Quick Reply: rear cyl cut off 2009 models