Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Touring Fuel Filter Shell Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:43 PM
JDSski
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by electra-hog
I have not received a letter stating that I need the recall for the fuel filter canister however I did call my dealer and request that he get on the HD website and check my Vin Number and there was no campaign recall for my 08 Electra Glide bike so if in doubt just call your dealer and request the Vin lookup it will ether say it needs it or it wont - some were shipped with the faulty part and some were not, i guess it depends on the build date as to which part they used on yours. Good Luck and Ride Safe.
I got a letter also but before I did I put my VIN# in the link and it came back with the notice that I need the recall work done. I've been hearing that some people got letters but were told that they already had the new part installed. When I first called my dealer, they had no idea that this recall was out there.

On a side note, I've been calling my dealer at least once a week since the 1st week of August and they are still waiting for the "kits" from HD. Not confident in doing a long ride knowing this can go at anytime.

Maybe I can get this done next week. Not taking any long rides until it gets done.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 PM
electra-hog
Intermediate

Here is a good photo job of the cheap made part - http://home.comcast.net/~bertkk/StreetGlide/index2.html - both good and bad parts are shown just to give an idea of what exactly is going on and where the part is located thanks to BertK, and like someone else said don't travel without a cell phone and a Hog card because if it's under warranty the tow is on the dealer. Saturday would be a good time to ride or during there busines hours just in case, but by all means ride safe and enjoy. The pictures explain a lot and will help in understanding the situation - Great Job Bert.

Last edited by electra-hog; 09-04-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:38 PM
electra-hog
Intermediate

BaggerDriver said his Letter says build dates are between 05/06/07 and 12/11/07, seems like I did read somewhere in my documentation when my bike was shipped to the dealer or it's actual build date but I can't remember where or what document it was, this to could shed some light on which ones need it and which ones do not - how frustrating. Good luck to all who have to endure this problem.

Last edited by electra-hog; 09-04-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 1,840 Posts

The MOCO just recently changed the protocol and are shipping out more kits than previous and requiring a 50% completion rate as opposed to a 75% completion rate so your dealers shouldn't be having problems getting kits.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:48 AM
bbocksta
Stage IV

Got mine back again. They found a leaking "O" ring at the fuel shell fitting. I presume, that since I didn't have a real problem untill later in the day, that when they installed the "O" ring, they pinched it in the fitting, and the leak increased during my ride home. Either way, its BACK TO NORMAL.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:31 PM
JDSski
Novice

Originally Posted by dawg
The MOCO just recently changed the protocol and are shipping out more kits than previous and requiring a 50% completion rate as opposed to a 75% completion rate so your dealers shouldn't be having problems getting kits.
Hope that means my dealer gets the part soon. I just got off the phone with them and they are still waiting claiming they have alot of bikes awaiting the part. Called 2 other dealers and got the same story.

I'd like to check myself just to see if I'm worrying about nothing. The service manual shows some tool to remove the thing but do you really need a special tool to get to the filter part to inspect it?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
iambill
Tourer

mine is getting changerd on the 27th. Hope I dont BLOW UP befor then

Old 09-11-2008, 05:44 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSski
Hope that means my dealer gets the part soon. I just got off the phone with them and they are still waiting claiming they have alot of bikes awaiting the part. Called 2 other dealers and got the same story.

I'd like to check myself just to see if I'm worrying about nothing. The service manual shows some tool to remove the thing but do you really need a special tool to get to the filter part to inspect it?
No you don't need a special tool. Undo the bolts holding down the console and then you will see the cam lock ring with tabs on it. You can gently take a blunt piece of metal and a mallet and tap on a couple of the rings working your way around to unlock it. Then just pull it up and out.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:11 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the link to check your vin# to see if your bike is included in this recall
https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/M...laction=logout
copy and paste to check your vin#

Old 09-15-2008, 04:36 PM
JDSski
Novice

Originally Posted by dawg
No you don't need a special tool. Undo the bolts holding down the console and then you will see the cam lock ring with tabs on it. You can gently take a blunt piece of metal and a mallet and tap on a couple of the rings working your way around to unlock it. Then just pull it up and out.
Thanks

Quick Reply: 2008 Touring Fuel Filter Shell Recall