Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing bikes pulling left or right.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 12:29 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batwing bikes pulling left or right.

Since May of 06,when we bought our Ultra, it always would pull/drift to the left.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Last week the fairing braces broke on the&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; left side. I took it apart and welded, reinforced it. When I put it back on I tried to get the same spacing between the handlebars and the inner fairing.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Since then the bike runs down the road straight as an arrow. No pull at all. I,m thinking that by pushing the fairing forward on that side,or pulling the opposite side back, that a person can get rid of some of the pull/drift.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:31 PM
PA SILVERBACK
Tourer
Default RE: Batwing bikes pulling left or right.

Haven't noticed any pull on either of my SG's....

Old 07-27-2008, 12:56 PM
rodeking
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine wants to drift left.&nbsp\\; Think it is because of the cluch cable puts forward pressure on the left handle bar which causes a left turn when at speed and in gyro effect.&nbsp\\; Clutch cables are pretty stiff.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:09 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I eliminated the windshield as a source of steering input while investigating why my 07 FLHRC pulls left. In order to get it to not pull left I must aim the rear wheel so far to the right that it dog-tracks, has a notable side-to-side component when going over bumps, and the handlebars point right while going straight. I have ended up getting the back to follow the front as best I can and just apply pressure to the right handgrip to keep it going straight. That or a 12-pack in the R.H. saddlebag...

My clutch cable presses against the back side of my engine guard. That would induce a right-hand drift if it were the cause.

Maybe the new frame for 09 with its many less parts and welds will allow them to build them more consistently than they previously could.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:15 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

I just noticed it today. It's been over a week since I repaired those braces.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:16 PM
tailgater
Advanced

Think you might be on to something there. On my 07 ultra (drifts to right) I can put my left foot on the road peg and it will run straight with hands free. Bat wing a little out of line should do the same thing.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-27-2008, 01:27 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine sometimes pulls left sometimes right. depends which side of the road the bars on[8D]

Old 07-27-2008, 02:23 PM
badlandr
Road Captain

I had a 2003 Road King that would pull hard to the left if I took my hands off the bars it would take a U turn.
I went took it back to the dealer and after a few calls 1 of the techs loosen the tripple trees and retightened and that fixed it.
One side was bounded up during manufacturing.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:01 PM
lakerats
Stage III

My '08 Ultra Classic has a slow roll and pull to the left with "hands off". Otherwise, it runs straight and I have no conscious thought of putting extra pressure on the right side of the handlebar to counteract it. I mentioned it to my dealer, they checked and indicated there was no problem as wheel alignment was in spec. My tires were a bit low although I've experienced the same "pull" with properly inflaed tires. One of the salemen mentioned the wight or pull of the primary, but that didn't make much sense to a novice. I plan to have a couple of my buds ride the bike for a 2nd opinion then back to the dealer if necessary. Let me get this right - the fairing alignment is a possible cause? Hmmmmm. Maybe pushing out on the right side a bit will make it track a little straghter?

This is one of those things I don't mind...I just want to know why it's happening. However - seems to me the bike should run straight with "hands off".

Old 08-21-2008, 10:07 PM
tmblweed
Road Captain

When I let the handlebar on my 07 FLHTC go the bike runs straight.

Quick Reply: Batwing bikes pulling left or right.