Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Sizing Idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Windshield Sizing Idea

Just responded to a PM feom kzman and thought I would pass along what I think might be a cheap & fast idea that might save someone from buying the wrong height windshield/deflector.

I have a Street Glide that came with the cool 4" shield which of course is useless to anyone over 3'-6" when it comes to wind protection.

So here's my idea:

If you were to cutout a piece of cardboard shaped roughly like the windshield and place it where the windshield goes and have a fan or hair dryer or leaf blower or whatever blown at you while you were sitting on the bike you could probably get an idea as to the ideal windshield height for your application. Some ride taller in the saddle, as it were, so we can't really use overall height as a deciding factor.

Scientific? No.

Cheap easy way to guesstimate minimum required height thus avoiding buying multiple replacement windshields? I think so.

I went and ordered a 6" shield from sincitycycles.com before I came up with this idea. I'm waiting on a chrome trim piece to arrive before installing so I'm hoping it works out.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Ride safe all,

Primo

Old 03-13-2006, 05:15 PM
BladeMan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Windshield Sizing Idea

I like to look over my winshield instead of through it. The way I measure for my line of sight is to take a small ruler and tape it to the windshield. Get on the bike and go for a ride. You can look at the ruler as you go down the road. Be careful and don't scratch your windshield.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:18 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thnx for the advice. I actully love the 4" as the air hits just the top of my head which is fine, but I'll be going with the 6" because of the passenger sitting a little higher it hits her directly in the face.

I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i got the 6" HD windshield also...wind hits me at the hairline...perfecto

Old 03-13-2006, 09:24 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

5' 6", 6 inch shield works great for me - I wear a fullface 98% of the time and even with a bennie the 6" works at highway speeds... If I am going to tour and expect RAIN - I switch to the stock shield...

Old 03-13-2006, 11:18 PM
pete_4854
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too like the low shield for the looks and ability to see over the shield, but I also like the protection from a taller shield. I bought a smoked 8" Clearview Shield with recurve for my 2004 SEEG. The 8" recurve design actually works better than the 9.5" HD shield it replaced. Now I have the best of both worlds. I highly recommend the Clearview Shield product. Also note that if you are unsure of the correct height for your application, you can purchase their shield, mount it on your bike and as long as you don't remove the protective film, you can return it for full refund or exchange for another size. No one out there I know provides that kind of customer satisfaction guarantee.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:41 AM
kzman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete

How tall are you? Does the 8" push the wind over you?

Thanks