Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Fuel filter shell failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:11 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 08 Fuel filter shell failure

I was stranded on the way to cody wy from chicago because of this. I suggest getting it fixed. I had to be towed to Sioux City HD. When it breaks the bike will not stay running. Great diagram at this link https://www.hdforums.com/m_3599675/tm.htm Someone wrote in the article that it pertains to bikes built 11/07. Not sure how true that is because I bought mine in 10/07 and mine had the defective part. The first thing i thought of when this broke was the forum. The part failed on 10JULY08. Now of course I see the threads about this. After the bike was fixed it was fine for about 200 miles. Then once i entered South Dakota it started pinging at one point it would not accelerate past 75-80mph.&nbsp\\; I was in 6th but on a straight away not pulling any hills. Sometimes it was pinging in 5th past 3300rpms. It is going back to my home town dealer tomorrow to be looked at. Other than that I made it home safe 4000 miles later!!

&nbsp\\;

Old 07-20-2008, 01:19 PM
winston chopper
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 08 Fuel filter shell failure

That sucks man. I had mine checked out by Vin# and they said it is ok. The stories in this forum is pre- 11/07 . The tech a Atlanta Harley asked me if I got a letter? I said no, are they recognizing defective parts and recalling them? He said I dont know, let me check your Vin# . I guess im just adding more suspition to this whole thing but this is a true story. He told me he never heard of anyone getting stranded. I didnt ask sny other questions. To me, we shouldnt have to pay a dime for this. Anybody else think so?

Old 07-20-2008, 01:31 PM
scttgr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have seen many stranded in the last few weeks.&nbsp\\; The MOCO has NOT issued any recall letters as of yet to correct this situation.&nbsp\\; You cannot "warranty" a good part prior to failure as most "warranty" parts are returned to the MOCO, and if not defective the dealer is charged back the repair.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:31 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

I don't know what to believe. I ordered my new filter shell (p/n 62229-08A) last week to carry with just in case. The&nbsp\\;parts dept&nbsp\\;had none in stock and said they never sold one before. Talked to the ser mgr and he was completely in the dark about any problems involving the filter shell failing resulting in fp loss and shutdown.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:33 PM
joker1450
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: winston chopper

I had mine checked out by Vin# and they said it is ok.
were do You have check the VIN?

Old 07-20-2008, 01:34 PM
scttgr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: EG Ultra Classic

I don't know what to believe. I ordered my new filter shell (p/n 62229-08A) last week to carry with just in case. The&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;parts dept&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;had none in stock and said they never sold one before. Talked to the ser mgr and he was completely in the dark about any problems involving the filter shell failing resulting in fp loss and shutdown.
that shell is on NATIONAL back order with no known release date.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Tell you service manager to check hd net.&nbsp\\; There is a legitamate issue with the part breaking but I bekieve it to be just a small number when compared to the entire number of bikes produced.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:40 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

well, they put the order in the HD parts ordering system, and said it would be in the middle of next week, no ordering problems mentioned....sooo...We will see if it comes in the middle of the week or not. Someone is keeping someone in the dark, or something else is going on.
I might add, I have 4000miles on my ultra, build date&nbsp\\;12-07,&nbsp\\;and it runs great.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 755 Likes on 521 Posts

I was at High Desert HD in Boise yesterday and the service mgr said he hadn't heard of this issue/problem at all, that he has not had to replace any of these shells.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
My build date is 11/07 and I don't want to get stranded, can you see inside the tank with a little flashlight and tell the difference in the shells?

Old 07-20-2008, 10:03 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure which bikes are affected I had not even heard about this until it happened to me. What a pain in the butt. At least HOG will reimburse me $100.00 for the tow.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

No you can't tell till you pull the pump. I'm not sure by some of the questions if some of your are questioning if the parts are really breaking or not. If you had an early built 08 touring bike and by early I mean around 10/07 or earlier you better find a filter shell. I don't care what some parts guy or service manager says. You may be stranded on the road if you listen or wait for a recall. The part cost $32 dollars and can be changed in a hr or so. If there's not a problem then go see if you can find one.

Quick Reply: 08 Fuel filter shell failure