Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brass Faring inserts question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Edgeflhtci
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brass Faring inserts question

Hello all...
&nbsp\\;
I have a 05 FLHTCI that is in need of replacing the&nbsp\\;factory brass inserts holding the windshield in place.&nbsp\\;I picked up three of the thread in type the other day and was told that I need to be careful installing them so as not to break off the plastic tabs they&nbsp\\;thread into. Well enough I thought.
&nbsp\\;
My question is, would it be better to pull the batwing off to insert them or not.
&nbsp\\;
An advice here would be greatly appreciated.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks
&nbsp\\;
Edge

&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-18-2008, 03:52 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts
Default RE: Brass Faring inserts question

You'll need to pull the outer off, I would think, in order to have room to work.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Go slow, the tabs will break off if you're not careful.&nbsp\\; I used a tap/die set to give mine a good start and then I screwed them in very slowly by inserting the screw into them and using a drill to drive them.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also put some epoxy in the holes first

Old 07-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Reef Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced mine about three weeks ago. The factory screws stripped out the holes and my windshield was beginning to rattle.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
The first brass insert was my learning lesson...&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Be very careful and take your time.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; They actually cut new threads into the plastic as you turn them in.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Once they are in about half way they get very tight and it takes a lot of patience at that point.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The brass metal is soft and will bend or break if you put too much force on them.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; If you screw a screw into the insert&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;first and then turn slowly into the fairing you'll be better off. Make sure your alignment is correct also. The brass insert has a tendency to want to bend outward and off center