Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed the tour pak &

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:09 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removed the tour pak &

Ok, so I just finished removing the tour pak and the upper u bar.&nbsp\\; Took about 30 minutes and would probably take that long to put it back together.
&nbsp\\;
Can someone tell me what the advantage is of buying 53303-07 $329 (tour pak quick detach kit) besides time.&nbsp\\; Is there something in this kit that I need.
&nbsp\\;
2008 UC Eglide
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-14-2008, 09:15 PM
bikerRN
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Removed the tour pak &

I believe it comes with the antenna relocation stuff, the new license plate bracket, and the docking stuff to add a backrest or whatever. I too removed mine the way you did and will someday get the detachable kit, but as of now, its low on the priority list. I havent done anything about my antenna yet, I plan to put an internal one in sometime, but for now I have plenty of CD's.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:26 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,532 Posts

that number does not come up when i do a search on the hd website.&nbsp\\; however i did find these:

53276-04&nbsp\\; detachable two up tour-pak rack, msrp 179.95&nbsp\\; and then there is the
76326-00A antenna relocation kit, msrp 99.95&nbsp\\; (a lot of guys are going with the hidden antenna in the fairing so don't see this as a necessity)
53260-02&nbsp\\; detachable solo tour-pak rack, msrp 205.95

of course you have to buy the docking kit which varies depending on whether or not it is the solo or the 2 up.... but its fairly cheap.

it all boils down to whether or not you are going to be putting on and taking off your tourpak on a regular basis.&nbsp\\; if its only going to be a couple of times a year, then i would forgo the kit.&nbsp\\; if its going to be a regular occurrence, then the kit could come in handy.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I cut and pasted the part # and it came up OK.

I went detachable and love it. The tourpak goes on for the weekend and comes off sunday night for the week. A great mod IMO. [sm=biker.gif]

Old 07-14-2008, 09:37 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, I just read the part about putting it on for a trip and being able to quickly remove it when you get there.&nbsp\\; Might have to bite and spend those 3 HD's, prolly 4 before its over.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Lowridin packer
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the detach kit it takes 45 seconds to put the tourpak on or off. Completely worth it.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I'll be interested to know how long it takes to put it back on if you work by yourself and how much damage you do or avoid to the fender, TP, etc.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Getting it off is easy since the forward bolts are behind the chrome strut covers, and the rear support is the license plate bracket.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; But reinstalling it would seem to be more problematical lining up those forward bolt holes.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:57 PM
marc52454
Advanced

It makes it pretty easy with the kit on and off when ever

Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, I have the kit, but the parts guy is warning me that the kit is really for a "Classic" and not an Ultra.&nbsp\\; So they say I'm on my own for the rear speakers and CB.&nbsp\\; You guys do this on an 08 Ultra?&nbsp\\; I guess this quick business doesn't include the wires.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Reef Rider
Cruiser

I recently had the quick detach kit installed on my '06 Ultra.&nbsp\\; This kits makes it extremely easy to remove the tour-pak.&nbsp\\; The speaker wires and tour-pak running and break lights wiring harness unplug easily enough, it simply takes about 5-10 minutes to re-route the wires that are no longer used.&nbsp\\; This is a nice convenience when you have time to plan for it. It's not exactly something that can be done super fast.
&nbsp\\;
The tour-pak is not light and you really have to be careful when removing it by yourself so not damage paint etc...
&nbsp\\;
Putting the tour-pak back on is not so easy to do by myself. It helps when I get a second pair of hands, but with help it's fast and easy.
&nbsp\\;
The remote antenna mount they ship with the kit doesn't look the best the way they want you to mount it and you'll need the shorty styled antenna if you want it to look decent at all.&nbsp\\; I went with the powered antenna that mounts inside the fairing. That seems to work real well and I don't have to worry about antenna removal and replacement.

Quick Reply: Removed the tour pak &