Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed the tour pak &

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:02 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Removed the tour pak &

as an addition please check out some of the storage racks available on ebay for the tour pac or back rest or luggage rack. it would suck to have it fall off the bench while you are out riding!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:46 PM
NoTyme
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have the detachable system on my 06 EGC. The kit comes with the mounting points for the tour pak. If you want to add a sissy bar you will have to buy 2 more pairs of mounting post as thethe tour pak and&nbsp\\;passenger backrest bar&nbsp\\;are in differant locations. That will give you 4&nbsp\\;pairs of mounting post. The detachable kit gives me the ability to change to one of 3 differant looks (with tour pak, passenger backrest bar or stripped).
You may begin to feel some slop in the mounting points before long so do a search and find the aluminum mounting post... No more rattle. I replaced the front mounting points and it really made a differance.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:17 PM
patsac
Cruiser

That will give you 4&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;pairs of mounting post. The detachable kit gives me the ability to change to one of 3 differant looks (with tour pak, passenger backrest bar or stripped).
&nbsp\\;
4 pairs of mounting posts??&nbsp\\; do you mean 4 pairs of docking hardware? 4 posts on each side? to mount 2 items?
&nbsp\\;
im in the same boat with going to mount a king tour pack on a flht. which mount is more rigid? the detachable or directly to a rack?. can anyong give me the part number for the bolted rack? just lookin at my options
&nbsp\\;
thnx in advance

Old 07-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Lahey123
Stage II

&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; Does the remote antenna mounted inside the fairing work well? Is the reception good?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:24 PM
NoTyme
Cruiser

That is correct. For the tour pak you will have 2 front mounting points and 2 rear mounting points. Then if you add a passenger backrest you will again have 2 front mounting points and 2 rear mounting points. The mounting points are not that expensive but when you add all 4 sets you are looking at $50 or so...

Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the input and info guys.&nbsp\\; I now have the docking points done for the tour pak and a back rest.&nbsp\\; Bike is ready to go stripped or with the backrest.&nbsp\\; I still need to attach the hardware to the pak but that can wait until tomorrow.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bdp

Ok, I have the kit, but the parts guy is warning me that the kit is really for a "Classic" and not an Ultra.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; So they say I'm on my own for the rear speakers and CB.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; You guys do this on an 08 Ultra?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I guess this quick business doesn't include the wires.
&nbsp\\;
If you go detachable on an Ultra you will lose your rear speakers and CB capabilities. You can buy the kit 53303-07 which will give you everything you need to go detachable. Antenna relocation, docking hardware etc. As you can see from my pic I have done this to my 08 Ultra. I only listed to the CD/MP3 player anyway.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:09 AM
kruisin
Cruiser

I don't have an ultra so may be stupid question but, why can't you cut the wires and install male/female plugs?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:50 AM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kruisin

I don't have an ultra so may be stupid question but, why can't you cut the wires and install male/female plugs?
There already are quick-disconnect plugs from the factory.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NoTyme

I also have the detachable system on my 06 EGC. The kit comes with the mounting points for the tour pak. If you want to add a sissy bar you will have to buy 2 more pairs of mounting post as thethe tour pak and&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;passenger backrest bar&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;are in differant locations. That will give you 4&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;pairs of mounting post. The detachable kit gives me the ability to change to one of 3 differant looks (with tour pak, passenger backrest bar or stripped).
You may begin to feel some slop in the mounting points before long so do a search and find the aluminum mounting post... No more rattle. I replaced the front mounting points and it really made a differance.
&nbsp\\;
I'm a little confused with the 4 mounting points you are speaking of. Unless I am mistaken there are only 3 docking points. The 2 rear ones for the tour pack and a single front one for the detachable backrest. I think it uses the front one from the tour pack hardware as its rear docking point. I could be wrong but I think I remember that right from assisting a friend who added both to his bike. Someone check me out here.

Quick Reply: Removed the tour pak &