Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 scoop on water cooled Ultras

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Rick S
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: 2009 scoop on water cooled Ultras

A couple of years ago on the EPA website they had a proposed 2000 cc watercooled engine from Harley with the proposed emissions.&nbsp\\; I do not know if that is still on there.&nbsp\\; I cannot remember even how to get to it.&nbsp\\; Fun to guess about these things and lets see what we actually get!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:45 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

You guys crack me up wih this EPA hysteria. Do you guys read anything the MoCo. puts out? Do you read any of the forward looking statements, the Enthusiast, Hog Tales, Press Releases? Harley helped the EPA create the motorcycle requirements and how they are tested. Do you think they would intentionally destroy themselves by helping create regs they cannot meet with an air cooled big twin? They have STATED MULTIPLE TIMES IN WRITING the TC will already meet 2010 EPA requirements. Not to mention, you guys act like Harley is the only company producing air cooled motors. There are many air cooled motors on the market and plenty meeting the EU emission standards too. BMW, Ducati, Yamaha, Triumph, and countless others like Big Dog are all making air cooled motors. HARLEY IS NOT GOING TO DESTROY ITSELF. They are going to make air cooled big twins until the market demand goes away. They may expand the water cooled offerings but it will be expansion into new sectors. You will see the TC96 until 2014 when all the patents expire. Not to mention the possibility of going to oil cooled heads like the Beemers. Cmon guys...wake up.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:00 PM
DeadLevel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "Paul Revere" post??
Sure as rain, it's only a matter of time until the waterheads come out. But cheer up. There will still be old HD's to wrench on.
No good things ever last forever, right? Tats fade, bellies sag, paint gets a shade dimmer. That doesn't mean they go away.
Ride safe, ride often.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:18 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,730 Likes on 769 Posts

ORIGINAL: michael95688

So the 2008 will be the last real Harleys?
&nbsp\\;
The last real Harleys were made in '47, no wait, in 1965.....uh-no wait it was '84.
No kick start? What's the world coming to?

Old 07-14-2008, 08:28 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Badfinger

Best rumor I've heard is that they stretched the frame for more room on the touring \\\\\\; models.
\\\\\\;
Rid well,
\\\\\\;
Jim
Actually, I would LOVE if they did that. Not to the extent of the ill handling at under 50 mph metric behemoth touring bikes, but a nice compromise somewhere in the middle would be nice.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:37 PM
caspr2
Tourer

ORIGINAL: racklefratz

ORIGINAL: pscheval

I just wish you could get a decent amount for a trade it, I'd trade up
Trade what, a Harley?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; If that's what you'd trade, I thought high resale value was Harley's strong suit.
&nbsp\\;Not anymore, you can't hardly give a used Harley away!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:40 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: stratplexi

You guys crack me up wih this EPA hysteria. Do you guys read anything the MoCo. puts out? Do you read any of the forward looking statements, the Enthusiast, Hog Tales, Press Releases?
yea, and I also remember in 06 when the Screamin Eagle pipes got pulled, and all I heard from the "old timers" was how Harley will NEVER take our rumbly pipes away... its part of the heritage...bla...bla...What is Harley selling today? EPA Noise compliant pipes.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:43 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: stratplexi

Not to mention, you guys act like Harley is the only company producing air cooled motors. There are many air cooled motors on the market and plenty meeting the EU emission standards too. BMW, Ducati, Yamaha, Triumph, and countless others like Big Dog are all making air cooled motors.
Serious question: Does the NUMBER of bikes being sold affect the emissions requirements for a manufacturer? In other words, does Big Dog have less restrictive standards to meet because they sell far fewer bikes than HD? And do IMPORTS have to face the same standards?

Old 07-14-2008, 08:48 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Hows this for yet another rumor:

2 into 1 into 2 exhaust on the baggers.

Perhaps with a cat element in the collector section, which means you can change your mufflers, but you cant get rid of the cat by doing so.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:58 PM
seldyn1
Tourer

Boy, I'm surprised some of you guys are driving cars instead of riding horses...

Quick Reply: 2009 scoop on water cooled Ultras