Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Danester
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helmet lock

ok..went and bought a helmet lock for my EG Standard --

I need some forum advice! if you have one on your bike, where did you put it and do you have any annoying issues with it's placement, i.e.accessability? Any tips on where to mount it and what "not to dos" would be appreciated - - I understand that once it's on, it's on! Pics would be useful if you have them!

Thanks,

Old 03-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts
Default RE: helmet lock

On my RK I mounted mine on the upper bar of the engine guard, right side. It face the rear of the bike. When the hook opens, the open leg is pointed up so you can hook one or two helmets on it and then close and lock it.

Works for me.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:49 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never have locked a helmet in 30 years of riding, and never had one stolen. Always removed the helmet lock on any bike I had. Just put it on the seat or hang it on the bars.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Danester
Road Master

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Never have locked a helmet in 30 years of riding, and never had one stolen. Always removed the helmet lock on any bike I had. Just put it on the seat or hang it on the bars.
I guess it someone wants it (helmet), they'll get it [:@]-- but the locks are good for keeping honest men honest [sm=devilangel.gif]- - I bought one, so I'll use it....

Old 03-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Danester
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Grover

On my RK I mounted mine on the upper bar of the engine guard, right side. It face the rear of the bike. When the hook opens, the open leg is pointed up so you can hook one or two helmets on it and then close and lock it.

Works for me.

Thanks! I'll try that before mounting....I didn't think about using it for two, good idea!

Old 03-11-2006, 09:07 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Be sure it is high enough so your helmet doesn't drag on the ground. If you make a mistake, they WILL come off, but it takes some patience.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Danester
Road Master

ORIGINAL: liltrk

Be sure it is high enough so your helmet doesn't drag on the ground. If you make a mistake, they WILL come off, but it takes some patience.

Thanks...I have the Kuryakyn Stirrup with large pegs mounted on the engine guard, so I may have to move it up high...do you mean the helmet may come off? thanks..

Old 03-11-2006, 09:20 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No I meant that if you mounted the lock wrong, it was possible to move it. I am assuming you have the one with the "one way" bolt heads. I have removed two of those from bikes I have sold. My wife always liked her helmet locked. She has a nicer one than me. I just stick mine over the mirror.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Danester
Road Master

ORIGINAL: liltrk

No I meant that if you mounted the lock wrong, it was possible to move it. I am assuming you have the one with the "one way" bolt heads. I have removed two of those from bikes I have sold. My wife always liked her helmet locked. She has a nicer one than me. I just stick mine over the mirror.

I bought the HD one for 18 bucks - -thx...I never had a problem laying my helmet on the seat either..it's just that I bought a new helmet for the first time in 5years..and I'd like to protect my investment!

Old 03-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

part numbers or pictures please?

I have been wondering about this because my full face helmets run about 400 a shot, and with 2 of us it is a big money risk to leave them loose on the bike. The FLHTPI is the first bike I have ever owned that didn't have helmet hooks.

Besides that Massachusetts is a helmet law state and I'd hate to be 200 miles from home with no skid lid

Quick Reply: helmet lock