Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R. U. B. Lowering Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 07:52 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default R. U. B. Lowering Kit

I recently installed this lowering kit on my EG Classic which claims to lower the seat height 2" and today I got to try it out 2 up. I set the air pressure in my stock air shocks at 18# for the 2 of us. I am 165# and my wife is 125#. I went a few miles and bottomed out too many times to count just going over normal road dips and an occassional pothole/rut. I finally pulled into a parking lot and pumped in another 8# bringing it up to 26#. It rode much better but still we bottomed out, though much less often than before. Now it was just the 2 of us and no additional weight/ luggage. Just how much air pressure will the stock Harley shocks take? I am really concerned now about loading the bike up with luggage which could amount to another 60# bringing our total weight to 350-360#. Has anyone else tried this lowering kit? Also, lowering kit aside has anyone had problems with the stock shocks bottoming out under loaded conditions when they ride 2 up? I really do like the lower stance for stability reasons and to be able to straddle flat footed.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: R. U. B. Lowering Kit

I weigh 240 and my wife is about 140 and I have the Solow 1 1/4" lowering kit on my Roadglide. I run 15 lbs of air and have never bottomed out 2 up w/gear. I run 5 lbs riding solo with no problems. I can't remember how low the RUB kit is. You should never bottom out with stock shocks at your combined weight.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: soos

I recently installed this lowering kit on my EG Classic which claims to lower the seat height 2" and today I got to try it out 2 up. I set the air pressure in my stock air shocks at 18# for the 2 of us. I am 165# and my wife is 125#. I went a few miles and bottomed out too many times to count just going over normal road dips and an occassional pothole/rut. I finally pulled into a parking lot and pumped in another 8# bringing it up to 26#. It rode much better but still we bottomed out, though much less often than before. Now it was just the 2 of us and no additional weight/ luggage. Just how much air pressure will the stock Harley shocks take? I am really concerned now about loading the bike up with luggage which could amount to another 60# bringing our total weight to 350-360#. Has anyone else tried this lowering kit? Also, lowering kit aside has anyone had problems with the stock shocks bottoming out under loaded conditions when they ride 2 up? I really do like the lower stance for stability reasons and to be able to straddle flat footed.
This is a common problem with any lowering kit. If you lower your bike any lower than factory engineers designed it for, your compromising. jmo

Old 03-11-2006, 08:39 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Stock Profile lowered shocks. Satisfied with the performance, solo or 2-up. Excellent ride and handling with no bottoming.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:52 PM
kt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Low on my glide & no bottoming out, Im 3 biscuits & the wife is about 140#.

Kenny

Old 03-12-2006, 12:02 AM
jfanton
Road Captain

That's 3/4" of an inch too much. 1 1/4" max for baggers.

And ur combined weight is obviously not an issue.

SoLow 1 1/4" lowering kit, inexpensive, easy to install = No brainer...

Old 03-12-2006, 11:21 AM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

Your wife is a lighweight compared to some that I have seen on the back of some bikes.....you should not have any problems bottoming out. Perhaps your shocks are not up to the grade. Check them out and see if they are bad.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:59 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

I too have the RUB kit but hesitate to install it because of this prevalent bottoming out issue - 05 Ultra.

I have been surveying EBAYer's who bought the RUB - most bottom out riding 2 up - some solo.

From the email responses, looks you'll need a minimum of 20# solo - to 45# two up - still happens occasionally - ride comfort may suffer - and safety??????

Inventor/seller says a guy 250# should be able to ride solo on an Ultra with 0# air. That is BS.

I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN HEARING DIRECTLY FROM ANYONE ON EXPERIENCES WITH THE RUB KIT SPECIFICALLY ON A 2005 ULTRA.

Thanks.

dchoran@athenet.net

Old 03-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I looked at the R.U.B. lowering kit since this thread started and think that his claims are B.S. I was worried when I installed the 1 1/4" Solow kit on my bike but ended up having no problems at all. It rides smoother than when I had the low profile Harley shockes on it. I never bottom out. The owner of Solow told me that the 1 1/2" lowering kit was for solo riders only, that's why I went with the 1 1/4" kit.

Old 03-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Bill918
Road Captain

SoLow 1-1/4" on an RK. I'm 180 and my wife ia about 115. Never bottomed out. Running with 10 lbs in the shocks.

Quick Reply: R. U. B. Lowering Kit