Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R. U. B. Lowering Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Godeater
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: R. U. B. Lowering Kit

Ok just installed the RUB 2 1/4 lowering kit, says seat height is lowered 1 1/2. I didn't get the tape out but it sure looks like it lowered the seat down over 1 1/4 for sure. I can still get 4 fingers inbetween the top of the rear wheel and the fender with 16# in the rear shocks. I am 200, well realy 205 and the wife is 120 with the tour pack on and both of us it hasn't bottomed out at all. Seems to me that mine was standing really tall to start with. I am 6'0 but seemed to be just barely able to stand flat footed. Seemed odd to me. My other bike is a custom the sits very low so maybe that tainted what I was expecting. Makes me wonder if wear and tear on the shocks due to miles, rider size and road condition has something to due with it. Just my thoughts

Old 03-13-2006, 11:27 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the RUB kit on my bike, and with my 280 lbs and no air in the shocks....it bottomed out. I added 15 lbs of air and it is fine. I have not ridden 2 up on it yet, but I figure 40 lbs of air at least. Gary at RUB says that he runs 50 lbs of air in his when fully loaded, 2 up with a full tour pack. I think that the ride is definitely stiffer, but for twisties like I ride, it handles better. If I were going to ride interstate only, it might get uncomfortable.

nogood o~`o

Old 03-13-2006, 11:38 PM
wnogood
Banned

Tell me where I can get more info on the "SOLOW" lowering kit please??

nogood o~`o

Old 03-13-2006, 11:42 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Well Gary at R.U.B. doesn't speak for the MOCO and for my EG Classic the max air is 35# at maximum GVWR and I don't intend to exceed that pressure just so I can use his product. I fell for the sales pitch and shelled out boo coo bux for a very stiff ride at 26# just 2 up no luggage. Needless to say the R.U.B.'S are coming off and being replaced by the So-Low kit. If the shocks were meant to take more air, then the MOCO would say so. Expen$ive le$$on learned.

So-Low: http://www.solowmotorcycles.com/

Old 09-13-2006, 01:04 PM
kenbelt
Stage I

R.U.B. Lowering Kit WARNING: I recently installed the 1-1.5" RUB lowering kit on my 06 Road King. My bike is now in the shop (while on road trip) having the wiring harness, that runs under the rear fender, replaced as it was almost competely rubbed in half from bottoming out. Shocks were at 35 psi.

KB

Old 09-13-2006, 03:34 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used both the Solow 1 1/4" kit and a R.U.B. 1 3/4" kit. I first had the SoLow kit installed on my '06 Street Glide, but I wasn't quite low enough to get my feet flat. So I decided to try the R.U.B. 1 3/4" kit. I definitely rubed more often with the RUB kit (kind of ironic). Solo I ride with 15 - 18 PSI with the RUB kit so as not to rub. When I had the SoLow kit on I was able to ride with 5-10 PSI with no rubbing. This past weekend I took the gf out for a ride with me. I'm 180 and she's 150. I boosted up the rear shocks to 28 PSI and rubbed pulling out of my driveway. Stopped and took them up to 40 PSI which eliminated the rubbing to only on big bumps/dips with some speed.

I'll be receiving a C&C seat here in a few days. Depending on how much lower the C&C seat is compared to my current Sundowner Solo seat I'll probably switch back to the SoLow 1 1/4" kit. Ultimately I'm waiting to hear some feedback on the Draggin' Baggers system after it is used by some members. If the ride quality remains the same or better than the stock shocks then I'll likely be making the switch to an air suspension.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:50 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member

I had the so-lo on my 06 SG 15psi and still bottomed out. I weigh 200. So long,so-lo!!!!
Name:  DIUSMC.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  72.0 KB

Old 09-14-2006, 12:52 PM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been trying to get a response from SoLow for 2 days now to place an order. Their email is full and being rejected, and they don't answer their phone. Anyone know what gives?

Old 09-14-2006, 05:34 PM
PhatHarley4Me
Tourer

I have one for sale if you want one.

Bottomed out too many times for me. Ended up replacing my wire harness. Waiting for the new "Draggin Baggers" to install.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:23 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PhatHarley4Me

I have one for sale if you want one.

Bottomed out too many times for me. Ended up replacing my wire harness. Waiting for the new "Draggin Baggers" to install.
PhatHarley4Me, is there a way to relocate the wiring harness/wires in such a way as to avoid this happening? Perhaps along the inner side of the fender as opposed to the underside of the top? I should really take a look at mine and see if I have any signs of this happening to my bike. Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: R. U. B. Lowering Kit