Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hot legs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008 | 12:02 PM
angeladytx
|
1st Gear
Default hot legs!

This is my first summer on a Harley and I'm feeling the heat! I don't do a lot of stop and go traffic, but a stop lights I almost cry from the heat on my legs. Hours after I get home there are visual red burns. I wear half chaps and have saddle shields. What's the next step? I've looked at the fan kits, but someone said that won't help my legs (especially left) much. They suggest an oil cooler? Everything cost good money, so I'm looking for direction before I just start trying things. In addition, my Harley is triked, so typically it doesn't allow for as much heat to escape past the back wheels either. Any suggestions where to start?

Old 07-10-2008 | 12:05 PM
TideRKC
Tourer
Default RE: hot legs!

Check these out
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
http://www.rjsoriginals.com/
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I don't have them but I've heard some good things by some on this site.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; They advertise here as well
&nbsp\\;
Sounds like you may have them or something similar but I'm not sure what else you can do.

Old 07-10-2008 | 12:15 PM
electraride2
Cruiser

true duals??

Old 07-10-2008 | 12:25 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior

Stage-1 upgrade, slip-ons, high flow intake and most importantly a fuel management system. I've bought the SERT to tune mine, but there are lots of other options. The stage-1 will do the most for cooling down the engine, I also put an oil cooler on mine, and the RJs Originals heat shields.

On a hot day at stop lights you are still going to feel heat from the engine, you will never get away from that, but it is manageable and way less intense with what I've put on.

Old 07-10-2008 | 12:28 PM
tslonige
Road Captain

sounds like your bike is running lean.&nbsp\\; It needs a fuel management system.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-10-2008 | 12:45 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

SERT, Hi Flo Air, Free breathing pipes, and a really good shop to tune it.

Old 07-10-2008 | 12:51 PM
extech
Road Master

Fuel management will make a big difference, take a look at rush duals too,they're ceramic coated.

Old 07-10-2008 | 01:05 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

1. Heat sheilds, either JS orignals or the HD version.

2. True duals

3. SERT and tune the bike richer.

Having owned an 03 and 05 bagger, and now an 07, I can appreciate just how much hotter they got in 07 (cant speak for 06). When I demo rode the 07 in stock configuration, I was flabbergasted at how quickly it was roasting me at a stop. I recall thinking that the 07 got hotter in 30 seconds than my 05 got in 5 minutes sitting still.

But I can also tell you, it IS curable, though it will cost money. My 07 is a stage 2 103”, but has a SERT, dyno tuned, I have V&H true duels, and recently added the HD heat deflectors.

Its no hotter at stops than I remember my 05 being.

I would try the J&S originals first, then perhaps the fullsac true dual conversion pipe (several hundred less than new true dual headers) and then have it SERT and re-tuned.

Actually I personally would do the SERT and retune FIRST, because in addition to saving your legs from the heat, the MOTOR will run better and cooler. But of course that is probably the most expensive option, although I really think its the BEST option for you AND your bike.

Edit

Sorry, just noticed you already had the saddle sheilds. Skip the fans, put the tuning and true duels ahead of hte oilcoooler.

Old 07-10-2008 | 01:12 PM
campincowboy
Tourer

Just installed xied's on my 07 rkc. Just sat 15 mins in construction, and heat was much less than before. Bike also runs great. Much better than with pclll.&nbsp\\; check 'em out. (NO, I don't sell 'em!)
&nbsp\\;
http://www.nightrider.com/parts/
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-10-2008 | 01:18 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Stage One [sm=closed.gif]

Quick Reply: hot legs!