Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe 2-Up Riding Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 10:16 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe 2-Up Riding Tips?

I would like to know what people have to say about riding with a passanger. I have never done this, sp I would like to hear some tip. do's and don't about it.

Thank you for your input.

Bob

Old 03-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 462 Posts
Default RE: Safe 2-Up Riding Tips?

increase your following distance, reduce your speed, instruct the passenger not to make sudden movements, instruct them on foot and hand positions.

It is important your passenger has a clue about what happens if they start shifting weight, sticking thier head out from in back of you at speed, etc.

( do you know how many planes crash on takeoff/landing because the person in the front seat wasn't told to stay off the brake/rudder pedals)

Old 03-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Lpye
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pefectly safe if you brief your passenger. I have ridden two up 60,000 miles plus over the last 5 or six years.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Tell your passenger not to lean into the curves but to look over your inside shoulder.
You and your passenger should have some sort of communication worked out.
Go to a parking lot and practice stopping,
Uh, with your passenger of course.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:44 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing to share with the passenger is to have them keep their body "straight" in line with the bike. By this I mean that the passenger must not try to keep their body straight up & down when you lean the bike in turns. Additioanlly, it is important that they not try to "help" you by leaning their body. Just keep inline with the bike. THese are common mistakes that inexperienced passengers will make. It must be human nature, but it can cause major stability and control problems

Also, it might be worth spending an hour in a big empty parking lot. This would be good for both rider & passenger. Practice turns, swerves, starts, and stops. A little practice up front just my prove invaluable down the road sometime.

In fact, several us go to a huge staduim parking lot occassionally with cones and do various practice exercises - both solo and two-up. See my avitar...

It is definitely TIME WELL SPENT.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:26 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife bugs me to go constantly, but only when it's warm. She just sits still and kicks back, taking in the scenery, even likes loud pipes. Pretty much a natural but once and a while I gotta give her a little bit of elbow. Getting on and off for her is the biggest laugh, cause she is so short. She taps my shoulder before mounting or dismounting so I can get ready for the dramatic procedure. I know what yer thinkin'........[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 03-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

My wife bugs me to go constantly, but only when it's warm. She just sits still and kicks back, taking in the scenery, even likes loud pipes. Pretty much a natural but once and a while I gotta give her a little bit of elbow. Getting on and off for her is the biggest laugh, cause she is so short. She taps my shoulder before mounting or dismounting so I can get ready for the dramatic procedure. I know what yer thinkin'........[sm=bangbang.gif]

mine does too...she gets on like gettin on a horse...puts a foot on the peg and climbs on...aint scratched the paint yet [&:]

Old 03-10-2006, 11:41 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've found the intercom to be wonderful for two up. Really helps with communcation (well duh!)

Your passenger is going to want to look around (of course!), brief your passenger to just turn their head and not their body. The first couple of times I had my sweetie on my ride she was doing that. She asked why I was bobbing around sometimes and was shocked when I asked her if she was twisting her body to look around. Just turn your head. Nice and steady now.

Extra braking room is a must!

Old 03-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,005 Likes on 543 Posts

I tell the wife to do what my body does, and she lets me know if she is going to readjust so that I'm ready. Be prepared for her mount/dismount with the front brake on and your feet as far apart as possible to steady the bike, it can move quit abit. With practice it will be smooth and easy.

Do the parking lot thing, it will help in the long run.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:12 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

FOLLOW PHILM INSTRUCTION AND YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM. ALL COMMENTS ARE CORRECT PHILM JUST HAD THEM ALL DOWN.

Quick Reply: Safe 2-Up Riding Tips?