Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty antenna.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,756 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Shorty antenna.......

I bought a shorty antenna, a.k.a "rubber duckie" at Auto Zone, maybe Advanced Auto, can't remember, for $6.00. It's decent but I think I'm missing some reception. Anyone used this and the J&amp\\;M both and done a comparison? I sure don't want to go the $40.00 J&amp\\;M route if it's not much better.
Thanks

Old 07-08-2008, 08:31 PM
dionne51
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shorty antenna.......

I experienced the same thing, I'm in somewhat of a rural area and the original whip antenna was great.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I then cut it down to 32 inches or so (same length as car antenna) and it was still great with zero loss noted.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I wanted smaller so I got a stubby rubber one and although still acceptable, I did note a loss in some of my presets.
I am now running an amplified antenna under my fairing and to be honest the performance is about the same as the stubby.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I haven't bothered to try to improve the situation as I don't listen to the radio that often, mostly .mp3 cds.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
D

Old 07-08-2008, 08:50 PM
millekj
Novice

1badbagger,

I live about 40 miles north of Chicago near the Wis. border (semi-rural) and spent the money on the J&amp\\;M shorties (HRUP-ATM) for an '08 Ultra.&nbsp\\; I noticed a significant reduction in reception when switching back and forth between the stock whips and the shorties.&nbsp\\; In fact, the weatherband channel wouldn't work at all with the shorties unless I were to touch and hold the antenna.

Before bought the pair of these I read a lot of favorable reviews from other forum members about the J&amp\\;M's - perhaps they live closer to a metropolitan area than I do.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:36 PM
seldyn1
Tourer

I have the shorty from AutoZone and it works great. I have had no problems with the weather band.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:49 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I live abouit 90 miles from a station in Las Vegas whose transmitter stands up high on a mountain about 30 miles north of Vegas. I get that station in my garage on the J&amp\\;M's. I think the J&amp\\;M's are very close to the stock whip for AM/FM reception, but&nbsp\\; a lot more servicable and convenient than the tall whips. If you're riding an Ultra with CB, the short antenna won't get out as good as the long one, but it won't break off either like the stock ones are prone to do. At $35 each, doesn't take long to justify the J&amp\\;M's

Old 07-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

I had a set of the rubber shorties and was not&nbsp\\;happy with them.&nbsp\\; I put the J&amp\\;M's on (I have 2 since I added the CB to my EGC) and have been very happy with their performance. The Rubber ones get bent back overtime and the J&amp\\;M's look better also.
&nbsp\\;
Scott
2007 EGC
IDS

Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 PM
redneckremi
Cruiser

+1 and 2 and 3 on the J&amp\\;M.&nbsp\\; I drive back and forth to Denver from Colorado Springs.&nbsp\\; Yesterday I noticed that I got the same rock station alot farther down the road than b4 after changing from the stock to the J&amp\\;M.&nbsp\\; I don't think you will regret buying one or two.&nbsp\\; Later Gator, Remi

Old 07-09-2008, 01:26 PM
brinsr
Advanced

Why not go with the wireless antenna from Auto Zone for around 20 bucks?
No troubles doing install and it works well.
Best of all it cleans the whole backend of your bike up, and makes taking the tour pak off easy. Assuming your on a classic and not the Ultra with CB. Don't know about that!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:56 PM
klemay
Cruiser

Brinsr,
&nbsp\\;
This sounds interesting.&nbsp\\; I did a search on Autozone's website and could not find it...you have a part number or brand name?
&nbsp\\;
Thanks a ton!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:06 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

J&amp\\;M is OK.&nbsp\\; Love the look a whole lot better.&nbsp\\; When I'm out in the country some stations drop off but I'm not sure they were there before I switched antena.

Quick Reply: Shorty antenna.......