Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brembo Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:42 AM
hogkrazy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brembo Conversion

ORIGINAL: WVULTRA

ORIGINAL: marvincbr

Wouldn't the older(07) master cylinder work with the newer (08) calipers and rotors?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Yes it will.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
But you have to wonder if there was no need for an updated m/c why would the penny-pinching MoCo replace it?
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
It must&nbsp\\;produce &nbsp\\;a&nbsp\\;larger volume&nbsp\\;of pressure. "That's my story and i'm sticking to it"
Well i got the new brakes bled and went for a short ride, 50 miles the another day. It was to hot -108 and to smokey here in the great state of firebug ca to do much more anyway.........WOW
I know the lrb pads say there is no breakin period but i still tended to ease into my initial 10 stops. After tht i would porogressively break harder till i got to 75% max braking.
the difference is amazing. Initial lever response is firm with good feel and i'm stopping faster using about 75% brake with 2 fingers than 100% of the old brakes using 4 fingers. I'm gonna put some miles on her today and really see what they will do.
&nbsp\\;For the $$ this is the best upgrade i've done to the bike besides&nbsp\\; changing the pipes and &nbsp\\;air cleaner. Well worth the money. Next will be racetech valves and springs for the front and / for shocks

Old 07-13-2008, 05:23 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Brembo Conversion

ORIGINAL: hogkrazy

ORIGINAL: WVULTRA

ORIGINAL: marvincbr

Wouldn't the older(07) master cylinder work with the newer (08) calipers and rotors?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
Yes it will.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
But you have to wonder if there was no need for an updated m/c why would the penny-pinching MoCo replace it?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
It must&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;produce &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;a&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;larger volume&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;of pressure. "That's my story and i'm sticking to it"
Well i got the new brakes bled and went for a short ride, 50 miles the another day. It was to hot -108 and to smokey here in the great state of firebug ca to do much more anyway.........WOW
I know the lrb pads say there is no breakin period but i still tended to ease into my initial 10 stops. After tht i would porogressively break harder till i got to 75% max braking.
the difference is amazing. Initial lever response is firm with good feel and i'm stopping faster using about 75% brake with 2 fingers than 100% of the old brakes using 4 fingers. I'm gonna put some miles on her today and really see what they will do.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;For the $$ this is the best upgrade i've done to the bike besides&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; changing the pipes and &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;air cleaner. Well worth the money. Next will be racetech valves and springs for the front and / for shocks
&nbsp\\;
hog:
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for the info.&nbsp\\; I've tried multiple times to post replys, and the forum crashes every time.&nbsp\\; Will post back once the forum improves!
&nbsp\\;
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 08-26-2008, 07:16 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm going to do this conversion on my 03 ultra. i am just a little confused about the brake lines. can i keep to stock 03 lines or do i need to upgrade to something else.

thx - tin

Old 08-26-2008, 07:46 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tincup64
i'm going to do this conversion on my 03 ultra. i am just a little confused about the brake lines. can i keep to stock 03 lines or do i need to upgrade to something else.

thx - tin
Tin:

If your converting the major components as outlined in the File, I would definitely recommend the '08 braided lines!

IMO, they are icing on the cake and outperform the stock lines. Especially older lines that are prone to expansion after some age.

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Hey WVULTRA,

I test drove an 09 Ultra at the Morgantown, WV, rally this year and have wanted these brakes on my Ultra ever since.

I have been purchasing the parts off ebay for over last month, first the levers and reservoir, next the rotors and finally today, I got the Brembo calipers off an 09 that someone was replacing with chrome. I still have the brake pads and some misc parts to pick up at the dealer. This will be a winter project and I'm in the process of polishing up the rotors now. I don't want to give up riding time yet.

I just want to say your write up on the conversion looks great. I can tell you put a lot of work into it and wanted to thank you for sharing that with me. It will make my job that much easier.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

Good job with the conversion. Harley should have moved to Brembos years ago.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:29 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

Hog Yild, Geoff:

Thanks for the positive feedback. Hope the information proves useful; and any questions feel free to ask.

The Brembos are that good!

Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 PM
ky_ace
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay so i see a lot of response on this for 02 and up. What about my 1999 FLHRCI? I'm wanting to upgrade my equipment as well and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this conversion to a pre-00 bike.

BM

Old 03-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Sport King
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If memory serves me right .
99 had single piston calipers .
I believe the mounting bolt pattern will be different .
But the lower legs can be changed for cheep.
Axle size will be 1 inch rather than 3/4 though and you will have to change wheel bearings.