Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brembo Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:28 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Brembo Conversion

just did a quick search on ebay. complete front end take offs brakes rotors switches and master cyl. 359!

Old 07-08-2008, 04:32 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: blueflht

just did a quick search on ebay. complete front end take offs brakes rotors switches and master cyl. 359!
&nbsp\\;
blue:&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
That sounds like the same dealer I did business with.&nbsp\\; You can make offers for less $.&nbsp\\; Also, you&nbsp\\;do not need the switch housings that are included in the kit.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 04:35 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior

never occurred to me to change to the brembos. you forum guys&nbsp\\;are costing me a fortune!!!&nbsp\\;just when i think i got her done these threads come along! THANX!!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:30 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: blueflht

never occurred to me to change to the brembos. you forum guys&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;are costing me a fortune!!!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;just when i think i got her done these threads come along! THANX!!
&nbsp\\;
blue:
&nbsp\\;
IMO, this is one of those investments that will yield huge returns!
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 08:55 PM
hogkrazy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wvultra looking forward to your write up. I am in the process of converting my 00 flht over to the brembos also. In case it helps anyone with a "older" bike like mine, i'll mention some important things to consider. I got my parts,calipers, rotors, and master cylander online from the same dealer. I did not receive the banjo/bleeder bolt's though. Instead there was rubber plugs.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I went to the dealer who had to special order them.Turns out they are back ordered till October&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\ \\; I did find the chrome kit with bolts and bleeders at another dealer so if you get the $359 deal ask them for the bolts and yes you can get them for cheaper .
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;the 08 mastercylander mounted up fine with my 00 switch housing, I used a russell steel braided brake line kit designed for 00's through 06's. The only other issue i had is the brembo's have a shorter upper caliper mounting bolt than my 00 although the bottom bolts are the same. No big deal as the dealer had 2&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;00 lower bolts which work fine for the upper 08 calipers. I should have them bled tomorow and will post up my experiences.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:09 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: hogkrazy

wvultra looking forward to your write up. I am in the process of converting my 00 flht over to the brembos also. In case it helps anyone with a "older" bike like mine, i'll mention some important things to consider. I got my parts,calipers, rotors, and master cylander online from the same dealer. I did not receive the banjo/bleeder bolt's though. Instead there was rubber plugs.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I went to the dealer who had to special order them.Turns out they are back ordered till October&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;!&nbsp\\;\\\\ \\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I did find the chrome kit with bolts and bleeders at another dealer so if you get the $359 deal ask them for the bolts and yes you can get them for cheaper .
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;the 08 mastercylander mounted up fine with my 00 switch housing, I used a russell steel braided brake line kit designed for 00's through 06's. The only other issue i had is the brembo's have a shorter upper caliper mounting bolt than my 00 although the bottom bolts are the same. No big deal as the dealer had 2&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;00 lower bolts which work fine for the upper 08 calipers. I should have them bled tomorow and will post up my experiences.
&nbsp\\;
hog:
&nbsp\\;
I already had the '07 Diamondback braided brake line and it worked fine\\; although the '08 banjo bolts were a bit snug going through the brake line ends.&nbsp\\; It appears the '08 banjo bolts for the m/c and calipers are ~.025-.030 larger when measuring with a dial caliper.&nbsp\\; Have a friend here that's attempting to find an '08 front brake line to actually measure the id of the line ends vs. that of an older line.&nbsp\\; Could have been the chrome plating on the DB line and the chrome banjo bolts that was making it a tight fit.&nbsp\\; I think the '08 banjo bolts are naturally a tighter fit and that's why they use the brass washers vs the old metal/rubber ones.
&nbsp\\;
Yes the '08 calipers use two #44160-00 mounting bolts (each) which are the same size as the lower mounting bolts on earlier years.
&nbsp\\;
Good luck and let us know how your's turn out.
&nbsp\\;
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 AM
02Ultra EG
Advanced

WVULTRA,
Did this conversion on my '02 3 months back.&nbsp\\; GREAT!!&nbsp\\; One thing though, you HAVE to use '08 parts for everthing when it comes to the&nbsp\\;master cylinder, calipers and rotors.&nbsp\\; The banjo bolt that holds the brake line to the M/C is definitely different from previous years.&nbsp\\; I tried using my old one and trashed out the '08 M/C.&nbsp\\; Am using the Lyndall pads and love them too.&nbsp\\; Would also go for the S/S lines won't have to worry about changing later and they look good!&nbsp\\; Oh yea, make sure you depress the brake lever as called out when removing and relacing the M/C.&nbsp\\; I trashed the rubber seal on the brake switch and ended up replacing that too.&nbsp\\; Also got away from the Dot 5 which I didn't care for.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:19 PM
CW4RET
Intermediate

can some one tell me what IDS are

Old 07-13-2008, 02:10 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wouldn't the older(07) master cylinder work with the newer (08) calipers and rotors?

Old 07-13-2008, 07:49 AM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: marvincbr

Wouldn't the older(07) master cylinder work with the newer (08) calipers and rotors?
&nbsp\\;
Yes it will.
&nbsp\\;
But you have to wonder if there was no need for an updated m/c why would the penny-pinching MoCo replace it?
&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Brembo Conversion