Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XIED????

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008 | 12:59 PM
rostius
|
Intermediate
Default XIED????

Sorry, may be a dumb question, but what is it??&nbsp\\; I did a search and can't find either...

Old 07-07-2008 | 01:05 PM
antrome
Cruiser
Default RE: XIED????

It is a fuel enrichener made for use on bikes that utilize 02 sensors.

Old 07-07-2008 | 01:24 PM
bezoar
Tourer

They are plug in devices that "fool" the ECM into running your engine more rich. They cool the engine temp and in my opinion, give you more low end power. My bike is having a great time with mine. The bike DOES use more fuel though so that's the trade off.

Old 07-07-2008 | 01:44 PM
pacecarbill
6th Gear

I agree 100% with bezoar.&nbsp\\; My '08 RKC runs nice and cool but did take a slight mpg hit.&nbsp\\; Absolutely worth it...
I went to nightrider for mine...

Old 07-07-2008 | 01:54 PM
nycfxdl
Tourer

+2 as above

Had the IED and XIED on my 07 Dyna and now 08 Street Glide. Knocks down some of the heat and bike runs-pulls stronger. Worth the $$.

Here are the links
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...erformance.htm

XIEDS
http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

Old 07-07-2008 | 01:55 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I personally feel the X version flirts with the edges of what the O2 sensor can reliably report.

With any such device, it would be nice if they could only enrich the closed-loop areas of operation. But with our current engine management systems, they will also increase fuel the same amount in the open-loop areas of operation, where our bikes really do not need any additional fuel to begin with.

It is a pretty cheap way to spend a little more on fuel to cool the motor down some. I suggest that they have their best value for those who have not modified their intakes/exhausts and most always use the engine lightly-enough to keep it in closed-loop operation.

Installing aftermarket intakes/exhausts without somehow correcting the fuel needs is problematic enough by itself, and installing these devices on top of that situation can make it better or worse. Sometimes both together. If other means of correcting the fueling requirements of add-on stuff are used, these devices are not necessary.

In summary, I would say they have their best value for being the least intrusive and best effective on factory-stock running gear.

Old 07-07-2008 | 02:14 PM
palerider
Cruiser

Any one know&nbsp\\;how the xied&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;will work with other mods? I have a stock 08 ultra that I just added a stage I air filter kit too and I plan on adding a set of slip on mufflers. Anyone know if I will have to make any other changes if I add the xide as well?

Old 07-07-2008 | 03:19 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: palerider

Any one know&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;how the xied&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;will work with other mods? I have a stock 08 ultra that I just added a stage I air filter kit too and I plan on adding a set of slip on mufflers. Anyone know if I will have to make any other changes if I add the xide as well?
Alot of us are running the Xied's with slip on's and stage 1 air cleaners. Runs cooler give a bit more grunt.
Read up the info on the web site.
Even better call the man. All your gonna get here is the info from those who use em, and the "opinions" of those who do not.

Old 07-07-2008 | 04:07 PM
hitone
Cruiser

I put the XiEDs on my 2007 Street Glide at the same time that I put on Kuryakyn Crusher slipons. I did not modify the intake A/C, I just replaced it with a new stock HD cleaner.
The bike runs great! It pulls harder,feels cooler,&nbsp\\;it idles perfectly and it now sounds like a Harley. Don't think I will change the A/C except perhaps just to see what happens.
My mileage dropped about 10% or about 5 mpg.

Old 07-07-2008 | 06:41 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rocknrod

Even better call the man. All your gonna get here is the info from those who use em, and the "opinions" of those who do not.
Either way will merely net opinions.

The reason I do not use them is because I have a good-enough understanding of the present engine management system to realize that I do not want to use them. I instead opt for something more suitable, even if it costs a little more. Especially since I am not running stock mufflers or intake.

As it is, I am rolling the dice enough. Why compound the situation?

Quick Reply: XIED????