Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XIED????

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008 | 11:57 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: XIED????

ORIGINAL: dmgary

WOW&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; This is what people need to think and remember when reading these forums. Its someone op. Most people speak there views and give there concerns about this or that no matter what the topic. Use the board for what its worth, options as to what people have used or tested. If you dont like what is being said&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;then take it as a write off. You hold the key to your computer sit back chuckle, close the lid, laugh at the post and move on. There are some people that talk/write as they know what they are talking about.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;There are other people that talk out there A&amp\\;\\\\\\;&amp\\;\\\\\\;. Me&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I use if for information only&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I might try some stuff&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I might not.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Now on to the discussion&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I personally would not use it. SERT you can make the bike run however you want.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;The options are endless. Somthing to keep in mind folks&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; anything that piggy backs a system is tricking it into doing somthing else. Just my 2 cents. Let the bashing begain.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
+1 Opinions are like azzholes, everyone has one and some spew more $hit than others.&nbsp\\; Personally, I like to see all opinions, no matter how verbose or far fetched, so I can make my own informed decision.&nbsp\\; By asking someone with negative feedback to a thread to leave is just trying to censore the subject and reinforce their opinion.&nbsp\\; It is a DISCUSSION forum and if it was kept to the discussion of the topic without personal attacks, it has value to those who read it, regardless of which side of the debate you are on.&nbsp\\; If you only want opinions that agree with yours, then you should start a thread and limit the responses to only yourself to eliminate any and all debate.

Old 07-09-2008 | 11:58 AM
Ultra110
Road Captain

Sooooo howz dem red socks doin anyways???[sm=escape.gif]

Old 07-09-2008 | 12:11 PM
blkfalc4
Tourer

Thanks rocknrod

Old 07-09-2008 | 12:38 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

OK, so this is what I gleaned from the questions with Glen. Thanks for you help Glen.
&nbsp\\;
Beary: What is the open loop?
&nbsp\\;
&gt\\;&gt\\;Open-loop is when the EFI does not either get or use feedback to determine if its fueling calculations are correct.&lt\\;&lt\\;
&nbsp\\;
Beary:What is the close loop?
&nbsp\\;
&gt\\;&gt\\;Closed-loop is when the EFI receives and uses feedback to determine that its fueling calculations are indeed correct.&lt\\;&lt\\;
&nbsp\\;
Beary: When is one disengaged and the other engaged?
&nbsp\\;
:Well, Glen said a lot, but didn’t really nswer the question. I was looking for something that would indicate that we were in an open loop while riding like RPM, Temp, or speed.
&nbsp\\;
Beary: What would you do to solve the heat problem?
&nbsp\\;
&gt\\;&gt\\;I would address the issue by supplying a richer AFR to it.&lt\\;&lt\\;
&nbsp\\;
Beary: What would you do to add a little more throttle resonse?
&nbsp\\;
&gt\\;&gt\\;improve the breathing capacity of my engine, along with the necessary changes to the EFI those aftermarket components will require to make the engine run the best it can in all situations.&lt\\;&lt\\;

Beary: Name one ramification you refer to.
&nbsp\\;
&gt\\;&gt\\;Running lean enough to burn a hole in the piston&lt\\;&lt\\;
&nbsp\\;
:OK, this wasn’t Glen’s first answer, but he eventually got there.:

Beary: Now, one more.
&nbsp\\;
&gt\\;&gt\\;Running rich enough to coat the combustion chamber with excessive soot&lt\\;&lt\\;
&nbsp\\;
Beary: Two years down the road, what harm would you expect from the XIEDs?
&nbsp\\;
&gt\\;&gt\\;I realize I have said a lot, but that was clearly stated in at least one place, I'm sure. But I will expound further.&lt\\;&lt\\;
&nbsp\\;
I’m not sure you did explain it, but I think coating the combustion chamber or burning a hole in the piston is still what we are looking for.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for your help Glen, I feel I understand what you were trying to say a lot better now.
&nbsp\\;
Beary

Old 07-09-2008 | 02:29 PM
mile high king
Tourer

Please keep the postings / debate going on both sides of the argument please.&nbsp\\; I am actually learning more than I understood before. Healthy debate is good, just don't anyone take it personal !!
&nbsp\\;
Glens, for those of us that are currently running the V&amp\\;H fuelpak (w/ A/C and V&amp\\;H slip-on in my case), can you post a reply on your take on what that device does in the open and closed loops of the EFI?

Old 07-09-2008 | 05:17 PM
blkfalc4
Tourer

My understanding is the ECM uses feedback(closed loop) until 50% throttle when it there goes to no feedback(open loop) where it then relies on a canned map to operate.
&nbsp\\;
early efi bikes use open loop circuit&nbsp\\; ie: no oxygen sensors
07 up (06 dyna too) has closed loop circuit ie: oxygen sensors

Old 07-09-2008 | 08:23 PM
dmgary
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mile high king

Please keep the postings / debate going on both sides of the argument please.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I am actually learning more than I understood before. Healthy debate is good, just don't anyone take it personal !!
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Glens, for those of us that are currently running the V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H fuelpak (w/ A/C and V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H slip-on in my case), can you post a reply on your take on what that device does in the open and closed loops of the EFI?
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
The fuel pack only helps the bike out at 4000+ rpm where the o2 senors are not on. If you would like to get into discussion on how 02 senors (anything after .45 voltz the computer&nbsp\\;doesnt see them)&nbsp\\;The afr is set at 14.6 afr. If you do not change anything on the bike thats what they will stay at.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;The only way you can change this is with a system that takes out the 02's sensors or can adjust the afr. ie SERT, daytona twin tech, thunder max, or a pciii with 02 senors elminators. Stop by and ask any harley dealer this information,these guys are a wealth of knowledge. Go by any aftermarket shop ask them. O2 senors DO not let your bike&nbsp\\; do anything out of what the computer tells it to. 35% is what the computer&nbsp\\;will correct.&nbsp\\; The service manual explains this stop taking someones word on it and go buy a manual. If you think you are smarter then harley's research TEAM you are sadly mistaken. These guys understand there are people like us that want to mod there bikes this is why people make after market products like the SERT and such. They understand that we&nbsp\\;want our bikes to run a little richer so its not so hot. or want to put cams and a big bore kit on it. Understanding how the system works is the key. But you can always do&nbsp\\;as you wish its YOUR bike If it works for you&nbsp\\; then hey who&nbsp\\;am i to tell you what to do with it or not do with it. I drink my coke with the right hand and you&nbsp\\;might drink yours with the left hand. get my point.......&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008 | 09:34 PM
confused
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: blkfalc4

The nightrider site is down?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
How long has that been, anyone know?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Where can I get them besides here?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks
&nbsp\\;
http://www.nightrider.com/parts/
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008 | 10:47 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I have no dog in this race other than Ilike my Hd's and am always looking at different thing s to do or not do to them.
&nbsp\\;I wanted to try the Xieds to see if what I was reading about them was true.. mostly on the cooling thing.&nbsp\\;I installed and uninstalled them many times on the same rides back and forth as of now 1500 miles of riding. pretty much what I put in this post is how they worked for me.
I bought a set to play with. Xied'sInstalled them on a 2007 Road glide with 16,000 miles on it. The bike is stock and has always run fine.Install took all of ten minutes.The bike runs well with them.Throttle responce is a bit stronger.Bike sounds a little deeper.Roll on from 60 in sixth gear is stronger.As for heat I tested these over two weeks on rides I make alot. I used a thermal gun and took temps in 6 places. I ran the bike with and with out the Xieds many times on the same runs and conditions.while at times they did lower the temps a small amount it was never over 20 degrees and temps did work thier way back up if the bike was left sitting. However they did appear to slow the heat rise a bit.They did cost me a small amount of fuel milage.Over all they do just what Nightrider claims for me. They do NOT reach some of the out landish claim I have seen posted about them.And heres some food for thought I decide to check temps on my 96 Fatboy with a stage 1 done to it come to find out they are not much different than the 07 ?With that in mind last weekend at Lacrosse WI there were a lot of motorcycles at the S&amp\\;S party .I did random checks of engine temps of all kind of bikes that were riding together.There was every mod and trick you can image there. Seems none of the temps veryed that much.I have found that many using a thermal gun are some what fooling them selfs.It is very improtant that the gun be pointed at the same spot same angle and same distance everytime to get a true reading to compare. And not on crome.While playing with mine just a hair differnce in some spots made a 40 to 50 degree difference. To get true readings I made two rods taped to gun to hold angle and distance and marked each spot.

[hr]
[/align]&nbsp\\;I am removing the Xieds nothing wrong with them. I am keeping them, I like the way my bike runs with them. I just do not need the little extra boost it gives the bike it has plenty. The small short live temp reduction is not worth the fuel milage reduction with the miles I Ride.
I am sure I will from time to time on a weekend plug them back in just to have my bike feel a little different.
No regretts buying them. They will not be going in my box of bad ideas.