Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XIED????

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008 | 05:24 PM
kb5rnl
Intermediate
Default RE: XIED????

I have a hopped up 02 Heritage that runs pretty good. I also have an 08 ultra that has Screaming Eagle slipons and xied’s and stock a/c. I have not had anyone on an Ultra with the $1700.00 upgrade (pipes, sert, a/c) pull away from me yet. And I have run a few. Also not a newbe, Been riding 43 years an done a little racing. A great option at a great price and does what it says it will do.
&nbsp\\;
John
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008 | 05:41 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

OK, first I have the XIEDs on my bike and they will stay there until I do a set of cams &amp\\;&nbsp\\;air cleaner&nbsp\\;next year at which time I will move to a SERT.&nbsp\\; Second, I have been building motors, including fuel injected race motors on and off since the late 60s.&nbsp\\; This included a stint working on military vehicals.
&nbsp\\;
OK, now Glens is correct in that the XIEDs DO have an impact on both open and closed loop.&nbsp\\; Where I disagree is the "adverse effects" he forsees.&nbsp\\;

Stoichmetric or 14.7 IS the best A/F ratio when you are cruising at a steady speed at a steady low load condition.&nbsp\\; It DOES burn the fuel the most efficiently, BUT it also creates the most heat during combustion ( hence the hot ride we feel on the new bikes ), it DOES NOT produce the most power from the burn.&nbsp\\; To extract the most POWER from a motor or to make it run at it's smoothest at low RPMs require a richer A/F mix.&nbsp\\; Now the issue from the EPAs point of view is that a richer A/F mix creates more pollutants.&nbsp\\; In an automobile or most metric bikes this is now handled by catalytic converters, Harley choose not to change the mufflers, but to go the stoichmetric route.
&nbsp\\;
Now the XIEDs are attemtpting to hit 13.8 which is ONLY a mildly rich A/F ratio.&nbsp\\; In race motors we often run as high as 12.0 during heavy load conditions.&nbsp\\; Now there is more to extracting power then A/F alone timing also has to be adjusted and of course all of this is dependant on compresison ratio and valve timing.&nbsp\\; At 13.8 we really are not running any risk on the motor.&nbsp\\; I believe the 96" is set to run 13.5 in open loop so the XIEDs are probably opening it to 13.2 to 13.0 through the adaptive process.&nbsp\\; And again open loop only occurs&nbsp\\;less then 10% of the normal riding time.
&nbsp\\;
This is still well within the norms of a well running motor.&nbsp\\; You will not build up carbon, or jam up valves at this rate, just pull your plugs from time to time, they still look nice and tan even with the XIED in there, heck they look even better then normal.&nbsp\\; As far as I can see the only possible side effect would be cylinder wash if the bike started to run richer then 12.0 at idle, but since that is closed loop I don't see that happening.
&nbsp\\;
This is just my 2 cents,
-Harry

Old 07-08-2008 | 05:42 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Well Glens, I've been paid good money for over 35 years to work on engines. And all I've got to say, after reading your last dissertation, is, I believe you are giving entirely too much credit to what is basicly an electronic carburetor, feeding a higher pressure fuel to the cylinders.
I understand perfectly how this fuel system works and I know that the hype you're spreading about the possible consequences of using some of these devices is scaring the crap out of some of these guys (with little or no mechanical experience) for no real good reason.
You're giving this whole system credit for being able to control things to a more finite and precise state than it is capable of in its present configuration.
I will grant you that the system does provide more information for fuel control than a plain old carb, but the end results are no different than if you were to rejet and not make the correct choice.
Or adjust the mixture too lean or too rich. After all, really, by making changes with any fuel management system, that is exactly what you are doing.
As for chain saws and spark arresters, I believe they have been around on pre-electronic engines for years.
I wonder why that was?

Old 07-08-2008 | 07:30 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: beary

...see if you can answer each [question] in just one sentence. Just one.
Crap! How did I miss that? I saw the list of questions and proceeded to answer them as I normally would.

I was reading through the thread again to see if I could determine just how I was being unclear, misleading, wishy-washy, or somehow inferring Steve Mullen was a liar or a snake-oil salesman, when I came to that...

First off I want to say that I am not putting him down. I am not saying oh, he's just mistaken. I don't know what he has to say about the Adaptive Fueling mechanism since he doesn't talk about it on his site. And I don't care enough to find out by calling or e-mailing him. I don't want to get into a pissing match with him. I have studied our EFI to the greatest depths I can because I like to know things like that. I was mistaken, I guess, that other people who share my common passion for the H-D experience and come here to do so would even care about it.

I'm not saying I think the [standard] IEDs are junk and that they never should be used. I think that for anyone who is still completely stock and who is looking for a stop-gap measure while they research further (especially during these hottest days of the year coming up) they are ****.

Venturing anywhere beyond that, I merely want to raise a caution flag very high.

Okay, folks. I cannot answer questions that simply. I want to make sure that what I am saying can be completely understood. Obviously I fail miserably at that, so forget I have said anything at all. Go ahead and change your exhaust configuration completely. Make it a true dual. Completely gut the muffler bodies for the best possible sound and flow. Take the entire airbox off. Why not have the freest-possible flow along with the best sound available. Do not flash or otherwise reprogram your ECU from the stock settings. Certainly do not obtain and use a piggyback controller to do it either. Just throw a set of XIEDs on. While you are at it, why not use two or three of them in series? If one is good, two or more have got to be better.

Enjoy your results. It does not matter how this stuff really works anyway. It is just a motorcycle. There are more important things in life.

Old 07-08-2008 | 07:58 PM
Techie
Advanced

I just ordered for my Military discount. FWIW Just enough to keep my happy. Thanks all for the inputs.
&nbsp\\;
Aloha

Old 07-08-2008 | 11:09 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Glens, now your just being an ***.

Old 07-09-2008 | 12:20 AM
dmgary
Cruiser

WOW&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; This is what people need to think and remember when reading these forums. Its someone op. Most people speak there views and give there concerns about this or that no matter what the topic. Use the board for what its worth, options as to what people have used or tested. If you dont like what is being said&nbsp\\;then take it as a write off. You hold the key to your computer sit back chuckle, close the lid, laugh at the post and move on. There are some people that talk/write as they know what they are talking about.&nbsp\\;There are other people that talk out there A&amp\\;&amp\\;. Me&nbsp\\;I use if for information only&nbsp\\;I might try some stuff&nbsp\\;I might not.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Now on to the discussion&nbsp\\;I personally would not use it. SERT you can make the bike run however you want.&nbsp\\;The options are endless. Somthing to keep in mind folks&nbsp\\; anything that piggy backs a system is tricking it into doing somthing else. Just my 2 cents. Let the bashing begain.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008 | 10:44 AM
blkfalc4
Tourer

The nightrider site is down?
&nbsp\\;
How long has that been, anyone know?
&nbsp\\;
Where can I get them besides here?
&nbsp\\;
Thanks

Old 07-09-2008 | 11:11 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior

WHY aren't you guys out riding in july instead of arguing a point that probably only the niterider folks can answer cause they invented the ieds xieds anyway

Old 07-09-2008 | 11:30 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: blkfalc4

The nightrider site is down?
How long has that been, anyone know?
Where can I get them besides here?
Thanks
http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.com/NO2-IED.htm

Quick Reply: XIED????