Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XIED????

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008 | 07:22 PM
roadking1893
Tourer
Default RE: XIED????

There's been a lot of discussion about this thing I for one am a believer.&nbsp\\; I installed them on my 07 RKC great throttle response smoother idle.&nbsp\\; As far as the mpg on my last trip to the Dragon doing 70-80 on the freeway I was logging 50 mpg I think riding 5th gear until 70-75 help some.&nbsp\\; Talk about cooling the engines.&nbsp\\; sooner or later we'll get "glens" to believe and get on the wagon.

Old 07-07-2008 | 07:59 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: glens

I personally feel the X version flirts with the edges of what the O2 sensor can reliably report.

With any such device, it would be nice if they could only enrich the closed-loop areas of operation. But with our current engine management systems, they will also increase fuel the same amount in the open-loop areas of operation, where our bikes really do not need any additional fuel to begin with.

It is a pretty cheap way to spend a little more on fuel to cool the motor down some. I suggest that they have their best value for those who have not modified their intakes/exhausts and most always use the engine lightly-enough to keep it in closed-loop operation.

Installing aftermarket intakes/exhausts without somehow correcting the fuel needs is problematic enough by itself, and installing these devices on top of that situation can make it better or worse. Sometimes both together. If other means of correcting the fueling requirements of add-on stuff are used, these devices are not necessary.

In summary, I would say they have their best value for being the least intrusive and best effective on factory-stock running gear.
The factory O2 sensors only affect the closed loop section of the ecm so the XiED or IED only affects the closed loop portion of the bike. It cant affect the open loop portion because the O2 sensors dont work on that. Hope that was simple enough to understand.

Old 07-07-2008 | 08:02 PM
K00LJerk
Road Captain

I have em installed on my stock '08 RG and have noticed some difference. The simplicity of these devices is probably what most can't get behind. I'd also not build them up as a ultimate performance item either. Just another after market that makes the bike run better I'm for it. Thumbs up for XIED's

Old 07-07-2008 | 08:20 PM
Techie
Advanced

Want to try this on my CVO. Will call on the man to get the info updates. Hey, they even have a Military special for those in service...

Old 07-07-2008 | 08:20 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

I put mine on my 07 UC&nbsp\\;about a month ago and couldn't be happier, can feel crisper throttle response, smoother idle, better sound, definite better torque and oh yeah it greatly reduced the ball frying heat! Did four days up around the Dragon and Cherohala two weeks ago and it was a shear pleasure to ride. Like others I did take a hit in MPG but so what, without fuel it's just a damn good looking high dollar recliner with a windshield and handlebars.
Thanks Nightrider! Happy customer here.

Old 07-07-2008 | 09:10 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Other Sheep

The factory O2 sensors only affect the closed loop section of the ecm so the XiED or IED only affects the closed loop portion of the bike. It cant affect the open loop portion because the O2 sensors dont work on that. Hope that was simple enough to understand.
Negatory. The changes in fueling required to maintain what the ECU thinks it needs to maintain the set AFR while in closed-loop are then transferred to the open-loop areas as well. You don't have to believe me, but you would do well to trust me nonetheless. This is how our O2-equipped Delphi works. Study up on Adaptive Fueling and see what you find (you can exclude everything I've ever said if it makes you happy).

Old 07-07-2008 | 09:16 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

glens is mistaken xied only ritchen it in the closed loop mode thats the only time the puter reads the o2 sensors.

Old 07-07-2008 | 09:46 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Glen, Im already happy. Ive got the XiEDs on my Heritage and the improvement they made to how the bike runs and feels has made me happy. You can say anything you want, it wont affect how the XiEDs work on my ride.

Old 07-07-2008 | 11:28 PM
clayguy
Cruiser

Easy to install, runs cooler, runs smoother. My Ultra is stock, stock, stock. Mileage will suffer a bit, but thats the current trade off.

Old 07-08-2008 | 12:13 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bigdumbnoitall00

glens is mistaken xied only ritchen it in the closed loop mode thats the only time the puter reads the o2 sensors.
Read my lips. There are tables in the ECU programming that it uses to calculate how long to have the injectors operate. They cover every operating area of the engine. While in the closed-loop areas it can check itself. If it finds out it was wrong, for any reason, and needs to operate the injectors for a longer (or shorter) time to get a proper reading from the O2 sensors, it effectively shifts the values in the whole table accordingly. Then it applies the new values to its calculations and checks them with the O2 feedback when it can. When it is satisfied things are now correct it uses the effective new table. Everywhere. Even in the places it cannot (or was told not to) check the sensors.

What you are doing with the IEDs is effectively the same as either lowering the fuel pressure or clogging the injectors as far as the ECU is concerned. It adapts to the situation and fires the injectors longer. It assumes the problem affects the entire operational range of the engine and accommodates the problem everywhere.

In the case of the IEDs, it has been fooled into believing that there is a fuel-flow problem so it sprays more fuel into the cylinders because there is in fact no problem. That is why you are getting more fuel in the closed-loop areas. It is also why you are getting more fuel in the open-loop areas too. Even though the engine didn't need it there.

But that's okay, if that's what you want to do. Really.

I would appreciate you not telling me it's not okay if I don't want to do that. Okay?

Thanks.

Really, you should do some diligent research into the Delphi Adaptive Fueling in use currently on our engines before you make declarations such as I quoted you saying.

Also, the your engine is running lean codes are primarily not the result of exhaust leaks. It has to do with the fact that the O2 sensors only operate linearly over a very narrow range. With the XIEDs they are forced to operate at the very fringe of that range. The way they respond in that part of their range is very temperature-dependant. They almost can handle operating there once they fully come up to full temperature, but before that they can be very inaccurate. Not that they're ever that accurate at that level of O2 anyway, compared to the level of O2 they were designed to operate at.

Quick Reply: XIED????