Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of going to a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:06 AM
kwb
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking of going to a Road King

I currently have a 2005 Fatboy - all tricked out and I love the bike. But some of my rides are getting longer and I was thinking about getting a new Road King classic.
&nbsp\\;
Any of you guys made the switch?&nbsp\\; It seems that on a softail you are sitting 'in the bike' and on the touring models you sit 'on the bike'.
&nbsp\\;
Is it something you get used to?
&nbsp\\;
I plan on lowering it a bit and puting a solo seat on it, so it might feel a little lower.
&nbsp\\;
Also, what is the best way to lower a Road King? (keeping some comfort and minimal scraping)

Old 07-07-2008, 04:55 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of going to a Road King

I traded in a Nightrain for a RKC.
&nbsp\\;
It is a big change. Mostly the weight. It's a lot heavier and you can really feel it&nbsp\\;getting it in and out of the garage and at very slow speeds. It took me a while&nbsp\\;to get used to it.
&nbsp\\;
But the ride is so much smoother. Cruise&nbsp\\;control is fantastic.&nbsp\\;The 96 is great and yes it's hotter but you only notice it when stopped. The six speed isn't all that&nbsp\\;great. 1st gear is very tall and you'll feel like you have to ride the&nbsp\\;clutch a little bit more than you are&nbsp\\;used to to get it going.
&nbsp\\;
I'm only 5'8" and don't feel the need to lower it. I could be a little closer to the ground but the cost to gain&nbsp\\;an inch properly&nbsp\\;just doesn't&nbsp\\;seem worth it.
&nbsp\\;
I miss my Nightrain but love my&nbsp\\;Road King.
&nbsp\\;
I have an 08 and have over 15,000&nbsp\\;miles on it.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-07-2008, 05:16 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran into a simalar situaton. The wife wanted to ride more and more with me, but I couldn't let the Night Train go, so instead of buying a new RK, I bought an 03 classic. Two different rides for sure, but the King is definatly the bike to take for two up. No more fearing pot holes and bumps. . I lowered mine with shorter air shocks I bought from Eastern Performance (About $120, but not sure you can use them on an 08). You definatly get use to the riding position, make sure to get some hiway pegs for the engine guard though so you can stretch out. Good luck with your decision!

Old 07-07-2008, 05:59 AM
nutflush607
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I researched the heck out of the RKC and with the wisdom of all the poeple on here and also EDWARDK. I traded my 02 Fatboy, I put on nine spoke wheels and handle bars that come on the Screamn Eagle Road King, higway pegs and bigger more comfortable seat for the wife, as she has back problems. Now she can ride and actually loves riding now. I rode 750 miles in one day and could do it again. But not on my Fatboy,that took two days. I put the stock seat on it and rode a few miles. It didn't ake long to put the other seat back on. couldnt upload a pic. It says file to large, Which I know its not

Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 AM
bezoar
Tourer

I've ridden Snortsters, glides, shovels and the best thing I ever did was to get my 08 Road King. You won't be sorry.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:00 AM
CTB
Advanced

I lowered my 08 FLHR with Progressive's in the rear and front - A new low profile HD seat also helps get me closer to the ground 5'4"

Old 07-07-2008, 09:18 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

Went from a Dyna Street Bob to an 07 Road King Classic.&nbsp\\; Much heavier bike, but the comfort level is phenomenal.&nbsp\\; Just switched out the OEM rear air shocks for some Progressive 416 air shocks....much better ride with no hitting the shock stops on big bumps.
&nbsp\\;
Get the King, you'll love it.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the Road King is one of the most handsome bikes Harley-Davidson makes. If I didn't ride an Electra Glide, I'd be on a Road King.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:56 AM
HogBack
Road Master

ORIGINAL: XTrooper3936

I think the Road King is one of the most handsome bikes Harley-Davidson makes. If I didn't ride an Electra Glide, I'd be on a Road King.
&nbsp\\;
Ditto you on that Trooper.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;I did exactly what you said...went from a full dress EG to a RK.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 AM
stubby
Road Captain

Take one out for a ride. My personal experience is the RKC is the sweeyist handleing bike. I put a corbin close&nbsp\\;solo with flames, extra padding, and have plenty of leg and arm. I like the idea on removing the shield when wanted. Harley makes a fairly inexpensive lowering kit. One last thing. If I did it over, would probably buy the standard road king for the hard bags and non-spoke wheels, and would lower. Good luck.&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Thinking of going to a Road King