Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of going to a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 AM
tano01
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of going to a Road King

&nbsp\\;
I have an 08 RK...you will not regret it.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:32 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in a very similar situation. I had an 05 Fatboy with Boss saddlebags and a windshield, but it just didn't cut the mustard after about 200 miles. There was one ride where we hit a pothole, and it almost threw the wife off the back. She was really pissed, but I explained that you can't always avoid those things, and that if we had a touring bike, it wouldn't have been a big deal.
&nbsp\\;
We went into the dealership looking at the Road King, and the salesman went over the entire lineup. He suggested we take a rental Ultra for a ride and go get lunch. We came back and bought the Ultra. Although I still love the look of the RK, I didn't want to be in the position of having to upgrade some more to get what I wanted. I love the radio and intercom, and use the tourpak all the time.
&nbsp\\;
It was no big deal at all for me to get used to riding it, but I'm a big guy. Slightly harder to back into the garage up the&nbsp\\;incline, but it's well worth it. The difference in comfort level is amazing.
&nbsp\\;
Go to a dealer and look over the models, many will discount the price of a rental if you buy a new bike. Ride the King, and a Street Glide (slightly lower), and an Ultra. Then make up your mind which one you like.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:34 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: XTrooper3936

I think the Road King is one of the most handsome bikes Harley-Davidson makes.
I agree. Perhaps better with the statement as applies to the Classic. Which is why I bought a new one last year after not riding for about 20 years and never on a Harley to begin with.

My mother has always tried to talk me out of every bike I have ever owned. When she saw Pearl, she wanted to go for a ride on her with me. 72 and a first ride? Yes ma'am!

Old 07-07-2008, 01:38 PM
billybud
Advanced

I rode a fatboy for four years...traded for an 08 Street Glide.
&nbsp\\;
We began touring every summer and our weekend rides are often multi hundred miles...
&nbsp\\;
The Fatboy cruised OK...but the comfort level is so much higher on the SG when riding two up for distances..we just got back two weeks ago from a run from Florida to Virginia...no problem with a 500 mile day.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:48 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I went from a Heritage to a Road King in 2000, and haven't looked back.&nbsp\\; Love it.&nbsp\\; I've put way too much $$ into it, but I ride the tires off it.&nbsp\\; Moma started riding and that's the main reason for the switch after years and years of her never getting on.&nbsp\\; Now I got every stinking detachable item HD makes for that Pig, and I love it, including the chopped tour pak that my kids say make it look like a Geezer Glide.&nbsp\\; But I love it.&nbsp\\; The options are limitless, and the batwing is in the paint shop right now getting flames to match the rest of the paint.&nbsp\\; Sturgis is right around the corner.&nbsp\\; Go for it.&nbsp\\; You won't regret it.&nbsp\\; BTW, I have three Corbin seats for my King, Dual Tourer, Stinger, and Solo.&nbsp\\; It's all about options, the King offers more options than any other scoot in the inventory.&nbsp\\; Best, CCRyder

Old 07-07-2008, 01:50 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my best friend went from a FatBoy to a Road King the same time I went from the Heritage.&nbsp\\; He feels the exact same way.&nbsp\\; Best decision either of us has ever made.&nbsp\\; Good Luck, and post some photos once you get her.&nbsp\\; CCRyder

Old 07-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded my 05 Deuce that had a ton of money in it, including a custom paint job, for a '08 Softail Custom last August.&nbsp\\; I liked the Softail Custom, but I just never really connected with it.&nbsp\\; I was lookin' at other Softails because I was too young to ride a Touring bike (I'm 25).&nbsp\\; Well, I saw a Crimson Red Sunglow Road King Classic on the floor at the dealer, and fell in love instantly.&nbsp\\; The red paint with the wide white walls made me melt.&nbsp\\; I talked myself out of wanting it because I had just bought a '08 Softail.&nbsp\\; A couple months went by and my wife wanted to look into buying a Sportster, so we went back up to the dealer.&nbsp\\; And sure enough, they got in another Crimson Red Sunglow Road King Classic.&nbsp\\; Out of curiousity, I talked numbers with them, and left with a new Sportster my wife and a Road King Classic for me.&nbsp\\; I have not regretted that trade one bit!&nbsp\\; I can guarantee you that I can keep up with any Sportster goin' through the twisties.&nbsp\\; It handles MUCH better than a Softail.&nbsp\\; The only thing I had to get used to was the extra weight.&nbsp\\; I'm 5'6", so the King had to be lowered.&nbsp\\; I added the HD lowering shocks and had my stock seat modified by Mean City Cycles.&nbsp\\; That helped me get my feet on the ground better.&nbsp\\; You won't regret the decision to make the trade.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:05 PM
kwb
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys for all the responses!&nbsp\\; Seems unanamis.... My brother in-law also has an 05 RK Custom and I rode that for a short distance and liked it.
&nbsp\\;
Ya - I can ride my Fatboy for about 250 miles, then it starts to get a little uncomfortable. Some of the rides I want to do are longer. A few of my buddies want to ride from SoCal to Aspen this August and I'd like to go, but not sure my back would last on my Fboy (they all have RKings).
&nbsp\\;
I am going to list mine for sale and hopefully it will sell fast enough so I can get the RK for this trip.
&nbsp\\;
I'll post some picks.
&nbsp\\;
BTW - I will probably get black, but that Red one of Live2ride looks sweet!!!
&nbsp\\;
Thanks again!
&nbsp\\;
Ken&nbsp\\;

Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 PM
tano01
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: kwb

Thanks guys for all the responses!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Seems unanamis.... My brother in-law also has an 05 RK Custom and I rode that for a short distance and liked it.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Ya - I can ride my Fatboy for about 250 miles, then it starts to get a little uncomfortable. Some of the rides I want to do are longer. A few of my buddies want to ride from SoCal to Aspen this August and I'd like to go, but not sure my back would last on my Fboy (they all have RKings).
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I am going to list mine for sale and hopefully it will sell fast enough so I can get the RK for this trip.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I'll post some picks.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
BTW - I will probably get black, but that Red one of Live2ride looks sweet!!!
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks again!
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Ken&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I have a Crimson Red Sunglo as well...the photo does not do the paint justice.&nbsp\\; I actually went in looking for a Black RK until I saw the paint job in the sunlight.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:18 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Went from a 2006 softail deluxe to an 08 street glide last dec. Great move, too. We take long tours (SF to Canada, SF to Phoenix) and weekend trips, round town too. Love the SG and am not even the slightest bit sorry. Miss the nostalgic look for a few seconds once in a while, but the ride is cool.

Tried the RK and did not 'sit in it' like you are saying. Could be lowered. The SG is already and I test rode both and I went to the deal w/the full intention of getting a RKC.
Road both and LOVE the SG. Bought one a few weeks later.

Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Thinking of going to a Road King