Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax Maps

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:33 PM
johnsonabq
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thundermax Maps

*** Here's One For Those Of You With Thundermax ***
I'm leaning heavily towards the Thundermax w/Autotune. Seems to me that even though it's self adjusting, you still need a map to act as a starting point. What is that all about? When I change hardware do I need to change software too? Can I hook up a laptop and do it my self? What am I getting into. Did a search but only got pieces to my puzzle.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:07 PM
twilliams
Tourer
Default RE: Thundermax Maps

Your decision will be very simple.....they don't make the TMAX for 08 touring bikes yet!

Old 07-05-2008, 10:13 PM
twilliams
Tourer

Ok now for a better answer. If I had to do all over again I would probably go with a SERT and a good dyno tune. The TMAX is a good system but I have a few issues that zippers finally said I needed a dyno tune to fix and I specifically bought it to avoid the dyno. Most tuners are familiar with either the SERT or Power commander but rarely TMAX. Since the SERT is available right now for your bike that would be my recommendation.......

Old 07-06-2008, 11:24 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: johnsonabq

*** Here's One For Those Of You With Thundermax ***
I'm leaning heavily towards the Thundermax w/Autotune. Seems to me that even though it's self adjusting, you still need a map to act as a starting point. What is that all about? When I change hardware do I need to change software too? Can I hook up a laptop and do it my self? What am I getting into. Did a search but only got pieces to my puzzle.
As pointed out, not much choice right now. All systems need a map to operate from. The closer map you choose to your setup the better it will run with less reliance on the AT part, and less need to tweek the base map itself. Yes, you can tune it yourself with the software manual as a guide, and info from other users on this forum. The two most problem areas that seem to come up over and over are popping on decel and ping. Popping is not unique to tmax as it's a general problem with most bikes once exhaust systems are modded. One thing that may be more of a &nbsp\\;tmax problem area is lack of a map sensor and I suspect that these maps are developed at 72 degrees in a nice comfy room. Hit 90-100 degree days and you as a tuner need to back off some timing to stop detonation. Many of us have gone through this learning, self tuning stage, and I for one have no intentions of putting my stock ecm back on. Hope this fills in some of the puzzle when it becomes available for the 08s and you choose to go this route. Nothing against SERT, providing you have a good tuner.Since I couldn't find, or trust one, is the reason I now have a tmax. &nbsp\\;As for engine upgrades in the future with tmax, it may adjust to some extent, but I don't have that kind of patience and would probably look for needed adjustments and edit the map manually and let the AT take over from there. You'll see what I mean if you get this far. It becomes easy to do.
Ron&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008, 01:11 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

What rbabos said.&nbsp\\; Close base map is key.&nbsp\\; Changing major components may require a new base map.&nbsp\\; I'm surprised Zippers is so far behind in getting these things on the market for '08.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008, 02:29 PM
johnsonabq
Tourer

Well... I won't be going down this road until next year I&nbsp\\;suspect so hopefully Zippers will be up to speed by then. In the mean time I don't think the V&amp\\;H Oval slipons with the stock engine will hurt anything.