Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DUNLOP VS MICHELIN!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008 | 02:46 PM
spam62638789
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DUNLOP VS MICHELIN!

Tread seperation on Michelins with&nbsp\\;1500 miles on my truck.&nbsp\\; They were under warranty, and weren't replaced.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Based on that I've never&nbsp\\;bought another tire from them.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;As for the bike sticking with the Dunlops, although I don't get the huge mileage posted here.
Usually 5-6K is tops on the rear.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008 | 03:01 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's interesting that so many people get such varied results using the same brand/make of tire, whether it be Dunlops, Michelins, Metzlers, etc.&nbsp\\; I know there's lots of variables at play, but wonder is quality control is a factor as well.&nbsp\\; Hard to make an educated decision almost seems more of a crapshoot no matter what you select.&nbsp\\;

[sm=sigh.gif]&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 07-06-2008 | 03:10 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 42 PSI that you see on the sidewall is the MAX PRESS for the tire to be run at not what is recommended.

Old 07-06-2008 | 06:08 PM
stevepacman
|
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Great feedback. Lots of folks appear to be passionate about rubber. I'll probably keep running Dunlops. Oh, and my tire pressures... I run 36 psi - front, 40 psi -&nbsp\\;rear cold. These presssures are stamped on the plate on the left side of the down-tube, or behind the steering tube. I ride 1-up and weigh about 165.&nbsp\\; Not surprised that the owner's manual has 36 psi front &amp\\; rear listed. So which is it?&nbsp\\; Truthfully, the 4 psi difference in the rear doesn't feel any different.&nbsp\\; Here are a few more of the annoying /////////////////////////////////////'s

Old 07-06-2008 | 06:26 PM
pandol34
Tourer

I won't buy anything "French!"&nbsp\\; Opinions on a&nbsp\\;Continental?&nbsp\\; The post on the Pirelli's has got me thinking hard...I'm looking more for road adhesion and willing to change tires more frequently rather than the rubber longevity aspect.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008 | 07:27 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: pandol34

I won't buy anything "French!"&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Opinions on a&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Continental?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The post on the Pirelli's has got me thinking hard...I'm looking more for road adhesion and willing to change tires more frequently rather than the rubber longevity aspect.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Pandol34, I can't believe you won't buy anything made in France.&nbsp\\; They own the company I work for and are a wonderful bunch yeah, right, what have I been smoking?&nbsp\\; I had a momentary lapse of reasoning a year ago when I bought my set of Michelins based on all the good comments at the time, but next go-round I'll probably get a set of E3's based on the comments I've read on this thread.

Old 07-06-2008 | 07:57 PM
russl179
Road Warrior

[quote]ORIGINAL: Taterdog

ORIGINAL: pandol34

I won't buy anything "French!"
You cannot buy anything from France....they surrendered.

Old 07-06-2008 | 08:33 PM
pandol34
Tourer

In my (aviation) world...when considering purchasing a very competitively priced (French) aircraft (helicopter or airplane), people fail to realize that the price is really good because "some" of the "French" companies are owned or partially owned by the French&nbsp\\;government.&nbsp\\; Which is like Goodyear being run by the U.S. Govt and having the backing of the nation's assets to provide stability for the product.&nbsp\\; Thus, (some people say) that is why they can make a cheaper product,&nbsp\\;can afford to take a&nbsp\\;loss, eventually&nbsp\\;outlast the competiton and in the end, corner the market.&nbsp\\; It's not that I don't care for the product, I just don't like the marketing tactics.&nbsp\\; Don't think it's happening?&nbsp\\; Look at&nbsp\\;these examples: Airbus vs. Boeing, Eurocopter vs. Bell &amp\\; Sikorsky, Michellin vs...once these companies have been forced out of&nbsp\\;the market (loss of sales) and competition is gone, then what?&nbsp\\; A huge government actively involved in the free market attempting to control of said market, pitted against a smalleer privately owned&nbsp\\;corporation in my book just isn't fare and is bad for business (quality &amp\\; prices).&nbsp\\; That's why I don't buy French, my two cents.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008 | 09:10 PM
mrblister
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope to try them all.

Old 07-06-2008 | 09:55 PM
cts1950
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it is worth the commanders are made in Spain not France. My choice to run the 42 psi that is in the side of the tire was at the recommendation of the dealer because of the lower load capacity of the 150 compared to the 130 or 140. The higher pressure causes the tire to flex less and reduce the heat build up. The other thing the pressures recommended by harley is for the smaller 130 not the 150. Interesting that Metzeler dose not recommend any of their tires on any flhtcui 2004 or newer.