Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DUNLOP VS MICHELIN!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008 | 10:49 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: DUNLOP VS MICHELIN!

DI75 did not notice your post. Can you advise how you like Pirreli's

Old 07-06-2008 | 12:00 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah - keep up posted on the Pirelli's!&nbsp\\;As I said, ah'm simply tryin' to find a good tire that gives reasonable tread life.

Old 07-06-2008 | 12:01 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buddy on a 2000 GW just got 14500 on a rear dunlop E3, he's pretty rough on them to, likes to take off quick and go though the gears, not burn outs but quick on the wick. I don't think the fronts will go 2 to 1 though looking at his &nbsp\\;Might try a set on mine this winter wghen I replace my rubber. I hear the dragons were more of a sport touring tire from what read, more grip less mileage.

Old 07-06-2008 | 12:16 PM
rpt63
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished 3100mi trip on the Mich., and they done great. I had duns and then the 880 but for me so far I am happy with the Mich. I get a little bit smoother ride now, does good in the rain and now I will see what kind of milage I'll get. The Mets and Duns gave me over 10,000 and still had a little left in them.

Old 07-06-2008 | 12:20 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would like to know the trick getting more than 7,500 miles on the rear. I have 20,000 miles on my Ultra and am on the 4th rear but the front is still doing great. In fact I do not see rplacing my front untill next year but the rear,Oh well

Old 07-06-2008 | 12:42 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

It's gonna vary for each of us, simply 'cuz of the different ridin' styles/conditions.&nbsp\\;For us, this trip wuz 3,300 miles of mostly backroads runnin' at 70-80 mph with a trailer in tow.

Old 07-06-2008 | 12:50 PM
cts1950
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: StrongIslander

Russl, Regarding peeling tread blocks on METZ, read the full threads, it seems guys were mostly running incorrectly load rated tires(wrong tire)&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;or running wrong pressures due to poor/bad info, for their rides.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I've got no stake in the METZ, just clarity...&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ ;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
Well I was the one that reported tread separation with the me880 As a point of clarification at the time I bought the 150/16 It was listed on their ME880 brochure as a stage 2 upgrade to the original 130/16 requiring a narrower belt than the original 1.5" belt. The 140/16 was listed as a stage 1 upgrade and would fit with the 1.5" belt. As far as the tire pressure It was maintained at the 42 psi which is clearly labeled on the side wall. I today went to metzlers website and they have changed their brochures and recommendations on fitment from 2 years ago. If you use their fitment guide for flhtcui &gt\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;2004 they have no tires that will fit.
&nbsp\\;
http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/fitm...Vehicle=202462

Old 07-06-2008 | 12:54 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

Here is a good thread on the Michelins.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2355753/tm.htm

I am on my third rear Michelin.

It is a smoother ride, and provides more traction in wet and dry.&nbsp\\; They also do not follow the tar snakes or rain grooves.

I get about 10K out of the lops and 8K out of the Michelins.&nbsp\\; The extra 20% cost is well worth the increased traction, better ride, and better control.

Since I ride 2up and pull a trailer a good part of the time I would not go with any tire that was not load rated as high as the lops and Michelins.

Old 07-06-2008 | 01:07 PM
mrblister
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: stevepacman

I am getting close to needing front and rear&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;rubber at approx 17,000 miles. I am considering going with Michelin instead on Dunlops. Has anyone ran both tires and have an honest opinion of which they liked better. (What I mean is not saying "They're the greatest!" because you've spend your hard-earned $$ on them.) Wondering what kinda tread life can I get from a Michelin?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I am not interested in Metzelers.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Thanks in advance.
The Michelin's are lots of fun in the twisty's. it took a couple of hundred miles for me to start to get the feel of them.&nbsp\\; I'm pretty sure they are not going to last as long&nbsp\\; as the&nbsp\\; Dunlops.&nbsp\\; I got 9000&nbsp\\; out of the D402 rears @ 40psi.&nbsp\\; The Dunlops are the Mc Donald's tire IMHO.

Old 07-06-2008 | 01:22 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Texasredneck is right that it will vary from rider to rider.&nbsp\\; Here are the factors as I see the tire-wear issue:

1. Keep proper pressure (38 solo, 40 2-up and/or loaded cold)

2. Keep off the rear brake unless needed.

3. Slow down.&nbsp\\; As you ride faster you have more drag on the bike and the rear tire is pushing against the pavement harder and harder as the speed increases.

4. More throttle for acceleration, more rear tire wear. That's obvious.

To the OP and others, consider the Dunlop Elite 3. The MU90-16 rear fits well for newer bikes with original MU85 tires, as diminsions are almost identical. Performance is excellent in wet or dry and based on wear at 4600 miles this E3 should give me 50-60% longer mileage than the D402.&nbsp\\; I see it as a win-win proposition: Performance is fine, last longer, and are even cheaper. The Downside is that they are only available in BW.

Quick Reply: DUNLOP VS MICHELIN!