Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

used 1 quart of oil in 1400 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 03:32 PM
soon to be
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default used 1 quart of oil in 1400 miles

Wife and I rode my 05 ultra...loaded to the max....70-80MPH all the way...from Houston to Pensacola and back.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Stayed there a week, had a blast!
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;have&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;HD syn&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;3 in my bike.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I used&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;1/2 qt. to get there and 1/2 coming back. Bike runs&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;great!
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I understand&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;air cooled motors use a little oil.....do you think this type of comsuption is OK?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Yes, this is my first HD and my first long trip....sure do like this ultra
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Bike has 5000 miles on it today....bought it with 1900 miles....and has NO oil cooler.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-05-2008, 03:42 PM
ridesegc04
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: used 1 quart of oil in 1400 miles

gettin old so my memory aint that good but if I remember right some 05s had valve seal problems if you bought it used maybe you can check with the previous owner if he had them replaced

Old 07-05-2008, 04:20 PM
soon to be
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did a search and learned alot about the 05 valve seal issues. I bought my&nbsp\\;bike&nbsp\\;6 months ago and have put 3000 miles on my bike.&nbsp\\;Until our trip last week my bike has&nbsp\\;not&nbsp\\;used any oil. I have changed&nbsp\\;my oil&nbsp\\;since i bought it, but still has the factory plugs in. I changed my stock AC to an A-Ness big sucker and saw no signs of oil in my stock AC. I&nbsp\\;feel&nbsp\\;no&nbsp\\;oil in the Rienharts pipes. I installed Pipes, AC, and PC3....all have about 2000 miles on them.
&nbsp\\;
Maybe I do have one of the&nbsp\\;05 with&nbsp\\;faulty valve seals, but the bike&nbsp\\;has no sign of poor performamce....Runs GREAT!
&nbsp\\;
Looks like I will need to do the oil consumption monitoring thing.........
&nbsp\\;
Anyone know&nbsp\\;what VIN's were in the 05 valve seal issues? or, was it all of them?
&nbsp\\;
any other comments????????????
&nbsp\\;
normal or not oil comsumption????????????????
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-05-2008, 04:46 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...soon to be...the 05's did have an issue with the valve guide seals...but HD did what they call a "running change" during the production year to correct it. I have an 05 E-Glide that was built in May of 05 according to the tag on the frame, and I have NO oil consumption issue, probably because it was built after the change. The thing is I haven't been able to find out when exactly that change was implemented. I can only assume that May of 05 was so late in the production run that my bike came with the improved seals. If I was you I would try to find out from a dealer when that change took place, and then compare it to your bike's build date. Then decide if it's so bad that you have to do the seals. if it's liveable wait until you have enough miles on it to justify a big-bore kit with headwork, then do the seals at the same time.....

Old 07-05-2008, 06:15 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 05 EGC in October.&nbsp\\; I've put about 7K on it.&nbsp\\; I have not had any noticible oil consumption. IMHO, your oil consumption is not normal.&nbsp\\; The valve guide issue is a logical place to start.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:08 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

You can change the valve seals without pulling the heads! You must remove the gas tank, rocker box covers, rocker boxes and use compressed air through the spark plug holes to hold the valves closed while you remove the valve springs, keepers and the seals. It's not that big a job and about 2 1/2 hours labor should cover it. Keep us posted with the results.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:38 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Still an improvement over the chain oiler days when we took a couple of quarts of oil in the saddlebags. A quart every 500 miles was usual.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Hounddogee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a differant brand of oil.Some have far less flash burn off then others.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

That's abnormally low, I would say. I had a '96 Evo RK that used a quart every 4-5k when new and 4-5k/qt. at 106k miles when I sold it. The heads had never been off that bike. This new SG is much better, showing maybe 1/4 qt. low at 5k change intervals. Friends with earlier TC's have similar experiences.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:49 AM
rags
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I have one of the 05s that used oil. All of mine was going through the rear cylinder. My front spark plug was nice and clean and the rear spark plug would be carboned up to the point of almost being fouled. Problem was the installation of valve guide seals at the factory. When I had this problem I did a lot of investigating about it. Not all 05s had the problem. It could be on either cylinder or both cylinders but more often than not was on the rear cylinder only. New valve guide seals on the rear cylinder solved my problem. No more oil consumption. The FIRST thing I would do if I was you would be to read the spark plugs.

Quick Reply: used 1 quart of oil in 1400 miles