Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for Scenic Rides in Colorado?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Roost
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for Scenic Rides in Colorado?

I am planning a rode trip to Colorado in August or September and have 2-3 days&nbsp\\;to ride the area (starting at Denver) and am hoping for some suggestions of some "must ride" scenic rodes.&nbsp\\; I've never been there so any info I could get from those of you who have done it&nbsp\\;would be a great help.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
My 06 RKC is fuel injected and shouldn't have any problems in the mountains, but if I have been misinformed, please advise.&nbsp\\; Also, any precautions I&nbsp\\;should know about in advance or prepare for?&nbsp\\; Since I&nbsp\\;live in Texas, I don't get a chance to ride in mountains much, not to mention having never been to Colorado.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:28 AM
WindowMan
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions for Scenic Rides in Colorado?

See if this would help you out, somebody posted it.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_3580517/tm.htm

Old 07-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Well, you can't go wrong with just about anything west of I-25. Starting from Denver with only 2-3 days, I'd recommend Rocky Mountain National Park. It's within a big loop located to the northwest of Denver and offers some really nice rides and scenery. You can branch off of it in any number of locations as your wims and time constraints permit.
&nbsp\\;
Hope you have a safe and enjoyable ride!
Steve R.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Roost
Intermediate

Thanks Windowman, I just ordered one.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:26 PM
brshrideevo88@aol
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

roost- since you ONLY have 3 days to see our state, take the hwy 34/40 loooop through Estas Park and Rocky mt. national park. Then try to&nbsp\\;hwy 7 &amp\\; 72 south of Estas Park down to Blackhawk{a small gambling town}. and then hwy 72 into&nbsp\\;Denver
Bradd&nbsp\\;

Old 07-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Boom Daddy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly recommend the Silver Thread which runs thru Mineral and Hinsdale&nbsp\\;county Co. Only 75 miles long.&nbsp\\;Located&nbsp\\;south central Colorado Starts about Southfork runs thru&nbsp\\;Creed to&nbsp\\;Lake City at Lake San Cristobal. In the San Jaun mountains, 2 passes, Slumgullion&nbsp\\;earth flow, Riogrande river right next to you, ghost towns, light traffic. Scenery is absolutely spectacular. lots of good places to get off and explore. Stop in Creed and get a cold one.-Boom&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-04-2008, 01:02 PM
seantx
Advanced

All good advice here. You also can't go wrong with just heading west on I-70 out of Denver. Once you get past the foothills you will know what do to.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
It's really hard to NOT see something breathtaking in the CO Rockies. (Ride to the top of Mt. Evans and you'll understand the double-meaning of "breathtaking".)

Old 07-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Day 1:&nbsp\\; Denver through Rocky MOuntain National Park...give yourself some time in the park to take pictures.&nbsp\\; Spend the night in Granby.
&nbsp\\;
Day 2:&nbsp\\; From Granby head south over Berthoud Pass....turn west on I-70 and go over Loveland Pass (don't go through Eisenhower Tunnel...you have to see the pass)...drop down to Dillon and have a burger at the Dam Brewery there in town...get back on I-70 to Copper Mountain...head south over Fremont Pass to Leadville...go south to Granite and turn West to Aspen and Independance Pass....go down the Roaring Fork Valley and spend the night in Glenwood Springs (get on the hotel reservations right away)...they have some super hot springs pools there so take your trunks.&nbsp\\; This is a longer day so start early that morning.
&nbsp\\;
Day 3:&nbsp\\; Are you planning on heading back to Denver?&nbsp\\; If not, go south from Glenwood Springs to Paonia/Hotchkiss...turn SW to Blue Mesa...See the Black Canyon of the Gunnison...head west on Hwy 50 to Gunnison...7 miles east of town on Hwy 50, turn South to Saguache.&nbsp\\; Once you get to Saguache, turn south to Monte Vista...from here you can get on Hwy 160 over La Veta pass and hook up with I-25 that'll take you back to Texas.
&nbsp\\;
BTW, I have a RKC with fuel injection and have ridden all these roads with no problem whatsoever.&nbsp\\; Send me a PM if you need additional details on your ride.
&nbsp\\;
Don't forget the camera and ride safe.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Roost
Intermediate

thanks everyone for the info.&nbsp\\; I really appreciate it!