Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pak lighting-UPDATED, w/ BIG pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Drew
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tour Pak lighting-UPDATED, w/ BIG pics

I just installed a new king tour pak on the FLHT. I need more tail/brake lighting. My choices:

Ultra light bar:

New Air Wing rack and light:

Dual function Hyperlites (photo shows two sets, one 8-LED and one 16-LED):

The Ultra kit is $213.95 (before online discounts), the Air Wing rack is $179.95, plus the light kit for $49.95, and the Hyperlites are $79.95.

I like the higher-mounted lights of the Ultra and Air Wing setups, but they are pricey!

Any input from experience, guys?

Old 07-04-2008, 07:19 AM
MikeMihelich
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tour Pak lighting

I have the Hyperlites on my Ultra.&nbsp\\;They work incredibly well.&nbsp\\; I get a lot of complements on them and I've never been close to being rear ended.&nbsp\\; You really only would need a pair of the 16 light pods.&nbsp\\; If you went with two pairs I don't know if they would sinc or how that would look.&nbsp\\; It is an interesting idea though.&nbsp\\; Another cheap and easy rear lighting mod is the red conversion for the rear directionals.&nbsp\\; It makes them brake and directionals.&nbsp\\; It fills the rear with red lighting really nice.&nbsp\\; The only problem is that your directionals are not noticed as easily so I added amber 16 led pods from hyperlite to enhance the directionals.&nbsp\\; I mounted them&nbsp\\;outboard of the hyperlites (red) under the tour pack.&nbsp\\; If you haven't already guessed I'm big into lighting.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22822/C087BD3C44C24B50B2F0F4CF64FD2E6A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Drew
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I forgot... I already have the H-D turn signal/brake light conversion kit.

Thanks for the ideas!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:49 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have an Ultra so it came with the standard rear light group. They had also added the spoiler with LED lighting, and the same on the saddlebags. They act as running lights and brakes lights, and they really work well. Might be a bit expensive, but it looks very good, like it belongs. Click on photobucket to see the rear of my 07.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

The Ultra light bar requires cutting some huge holes in your pack! There's another choice, I kinda like the color matched spoiler.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Ride well,
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Jim

Old 07-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Ultra Light Bar.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-05-2008, 09:18 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master

You could also add the side light bars.&nbsp\\; They do have leds visible from the rear.&nbsp\\; Easy install, you drill two holes under the chrome strips and the locations are already marked.&nbsp\\; I think it's about $125

Old 07-05-2008, 09:34 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

I did the ultra light bar on my tour pak,bought it through zanotti's for $187.00 shipped,dealer wanted $245.00 to install it,I did it myself in just under 2 hours start to finish,not a tough job at all,mine fits perfect and provides alot more running/brake lighting. been thinking of adding 2 16light hyperlights with a flash then hold soild,under my tour pak to grab some additional attention for those who follow to close and talk on their phones.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
also been thinking of one of these for my tour pak lights ,should put some eye level 'flash" for being stopped at&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;red lights/stop signs &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;http://www.kriss.com/trunkflasher.php

Old 07-05-2008, 10:07 AM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

I did the turn signal conversion. When I bought it several years ago. it was about $34.95. Turn signals lenses are now red, and all 3 light up when I hit the brakes. Took about 15 minutes to do, and I didn't cut anything.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Take a look at the lights available from Squadfitters, a police motorcycle equipment vendor:
&nbsp\\;
http://www.squadfitters.com/catalog/13/led_lighting
&nbsp\\;
Many of my HOG pals use the Whelen three red LED flashing unit, TIR3, IIRC, and it's very effective.

Quick Reply: Tour Pak lighting-UPDATED, w/ BIG pics