Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 drive by wire high idle - road side fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's because you ride like an old lady Jim!

j/k!!! I just had to do it.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:18 AM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

15000 Miles and never a problem. If you have a question please read the dam owners manuel. ALSO this last months American Rider magazine has a great artical on FBW throttle. Its got so dam many back ups and reduonences it impossable to screw up IF you know what your doing.
Just my .2 cents worth.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:57 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer

If the idle is stuck a 2000 and the throttle is non responsive, isn't that more than a high idle issue? Thinkin that indicates the ECU is in limp home mode.

Unfortunately the ECU won't throw a code on most of the sensor failures unless it fails for 4 ignition cycles. Your bike could run on limp home up to 75% of the time and it would still be considered normal, if it clears on the 4th cycle of the ignition.........

I haven't suffered the High idle. But in 16,000 miles I have had suffered what appears to be a fuel delivery issue where the engine stumbles while turning at a light on about 3 occasions. It's just long enough to make you think you are going to fall over.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:12 AM
08KING
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I feel lucky, never had to reset mine, never had a problem as of yet with 18,000 miles on the 08.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:57 PM
globetrotter
6th Gear

Okay its now february 11th 09.
Question for the folks that addressed the dealership about high idle and had the reflash.....

Did the "REFLASH" solve the issue??
If so, what was the reflash code,or name ??
thanks in advance.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the reset is easy, I've done it twice on mine, like re-booting your computer. Just don't blip the throttle before shutdown and you will have no problems.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:13 PM
BC Glide
Cruiser

I was also told by my dealer to not twist the throttle once the ignition is on but the bike has not been started yet. I have followed this advice and have not had any problems with high idle issues for over 5000 miles.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:52 PM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

Is anyone else having an unresponsive throttle along with the high idle problem? I just picked up my new (to me) 08 Ultra yesterday and rode it home around 200 miles. Four times I just seemed to lose throttle control. Just like I broke a cable and the carb slide went down to idle on a cabled carb bike. At the same time, my speedo needle dropped down to zero and back up to speed. I didn't know what to do, but I kept twisting the throttle and at nearly full throttle, it suddenly came back to life with the bike at full throttle. Definitely disconcerting. I also had the high idle problem twice.

I went by my local dealer and didn't have time to write up a work order to have it looked at, but the tech was very unhelpful and said if it wasn't doing it right then that they couldn't help me. And if I brought it in and they couldn't reproduce it they couldn't help.

One time it happened I was merging onto an interstate and suddenly had no throttle. Not safe. but if it only happened 4 times in 200 miles, how the heck are they going to reproduce it? Are they really going to do nothing unless they can reproduce the problem?

I'll try the reset trick before my next ride and I'm sure it will fix the high idle, but will it fix the unresponsive throttle problem?

finally I have read through this thread and seen both the suggestion to turn the bike off with the ignition switch and others say the kill switch. Which is it?

thanks and sorry for a long first post

Old 04-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reviving an old thread ...

I remember reading about this when TBW '08 bikes came out. It seems that it was caused by (either or both) using the kill switch instead of the ignition switch and / or not letting the RPMs settle back down before powering off. I never used the kill switch and I never had this problem, until now (20k miles).

I have an '08 with SERT and it is idling @ 1,200 RPMs. I tried the reset procedure to no avail. The OP says to wait until the engine light goes off each time. I am not sure what is meant by the engine light. The oil pressure light? My oil pressure light stays on with the ignition on and the motor not running so I don't get it.

The motor is warm but it is cool out (60 degrees).

Any advise?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:23 PM
11sec.shovel
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe he means the little red key in speedo that lights up whenever you turn on ignition...then goes out after a few seconds

Quick Reply: 08 drive by wire high idle - road side fix