Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 drive by wire high idle - road side fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:52 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pingman68
Ever since my tech told me the cause (not letting bike idle down before hitting the kill switch) I have yet to have the problem again.
This exactly true. On my 08' SG I ALWAYS use the kill switch, and I ALWAYS wait until the idle has returned to 1K RPM before I hit the switch to shut her down. Since I started this new shut down procedure I have not had any high idle issues at all.

Originally Posted by maxum96
Harley 1005, yes you can run a SE Race Tuner on an 08 Touring bike.&nbsp\\; I use one on my 2008 Ultra.
Just so you know....I am also running a SE Super Tuner (or SE Pro Tuner as I have heard it called)

Originally Posted by texaswiz
By the way, the hot exhaust problems experienced by 07 and 08 owners is gone with the 2009 model year. A redesigned exhaust pipe system reroutes from the old.
I think it would be a bit more accurate if you said the heat is still there, but the pipe has been rerouted to go under the frame, and then to the rear.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:30 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Default No, it has not been fixed on the 09 models

I took delivery of a 2009 last week and I can tell you without a doubt the fast idle problem has not been fixed by the factory for the 2009 year. In first gear the bike wants to run about 20 mph. It is damn sure unsafe to be sure. When you pull up to a stop sign or try to slow down is when it is really unsafe.
My initial notice of it was the first time I put the bike in first gear and tried to take off. I immediately shot off like a rocket...I thought I might be in second gear and tried to downshift only to find I was in first gear. It is hell until you finally figure out the "cycling four times" trick to reset the idle to about 1000 instead of 1200-1500 rpm. It would have been nice had the dealer made me aware of the fact that the damn bike was going to fast idle to the point where I would feel unsafe, and then tell me the fix. I didn't hear spit from the dealer or the salesman. I finally found the fix on the internet. My guess is a couple of lawsuits will cure that oversight on somebodies part, cause this is going to cause somebody to have an accident. Maybe the National Highway Safety people should be advised.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:55 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

This isn't exactly the same, though I have experienced the fast idle and fix thanks to ya'll at HDForums with my 09 after blipping the throttle. Every morning when I start the bike up and it is cold... It idles up like fast idle, then a few seconds later it really starts idling fast, to the point of being dangerous... like 1800 rpms. Then once it warmed up it idles fine. Is this something others are seeing on 08/09 bikes? I thought of taking it back and complaining, but once "hot", I have no problems.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Rocky Rox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 88b
&nbsp\\;They don't have a 100% fix yet but this should help just quote TT380 to your friendly local stealer&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;TT380 – June 12, 2008 - High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models
High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models
Due to ’08 Electronic Throttle Control calibration strategy parameters and throttle grip sensorvariability some customers have experienced intermittent changes in idle RPMs. Thiscondition is caused by a change in the zero position stored to memory in the ECM, asdetermined by the last four readings seen at key OFF. This cannot increase engine speedwhile riding but would change the idle RPM, similar to adjusting the throttle stop screw on acarbureted model.To correct this condition we will be making several changes to the throttle grip sensor toreduce voltage variances and also update the way the calibration’s strategy looks at andrecords these voltages. Completion of these changes and test validation will take severalmonths.In the interim we have released revised calibrations in the latest version of Digital Tech toalleviate the high idle concerns for those customers experiencing the condition. The currentsoftware version
(1.004.001) and details of the changes can be viewed by selecting the
What’s New
button on the home screen of DTII. This info is also on h-dnet under:
Service&gt\\;Tools &amp\\; Equipment Info&gt\\;DTII&gt\\;Version Updates-What’s New
. The new calibrationswill leave the ECM powered up for 10 seconds after key OFF to complete housekeeping,allowing the rider more opportunity to release the throttle grip, so the throttle control canreturn to true zero before the ECM power is shutdown. This should eliminate rider inducedzeroing issues. Additionally, the new calibrations will be less sensitive to voltage changes dueto an increased dead-band in the operating strategy. Under certain conditions and ridingstyles some customers may notice a slightly different throttle feel, or comment on reducedengine responsiveness. This is due to the increased dead-band and will feel similar to a loosethrottle cable adjustment on non-ETC vehicles.Therefore, we recommend only reflashing vehicles for customers experiencing the high idleconcern and wait for the next version calibrations before updating vehicles on a wider scale.SE Race Tuner and SE Super Tuner calibrations have not been updated at this time, andreflashing a stock cal over a Tuner cal may only temporarily alleviate the high idle, until youreflash back to a tuner cal.It is recommended anytime you replace ECM, TGS or Reflash the calibration to cycle the Ign.switch 4 times, waiting 10 full seconds after keying off between cycles, to relearn zero TGSposition.
The following warranty credit procedures will apply to domestic dealers only:
Warranty credit will be allowed for reflashing the calibration at the usual rate.For OE calibrations including CVO, file an MC claim using labor code 7804 for 0.2 hourslabor.For SWR’ed P&amp\\;A calibrations, file a PNA claim using labor code 8209 for 0.2 hours labor.Non-registered P&amp\\;A performance calibrations will require preauthorization for warranty credit.

NOTE:
Labor code 8209 is a new code and may need to be downloaded into your system
I took my Rg in for the ECm flash and was told that they could not do it because I had the Stage 1 download. They said I would have to re purchase the Stage 1 flash ($180.) again per HD.
Does this make sense?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porkster
I have an 08 FLHX and Ialmost always cancel C.C. by reversing the throttle and have never had any problems with high idle. Actualy haven't had any problems at all,at 4000 miles and counting. Good luck with the problem.
I didnt either at 4,000 mile. Keep your fingers crossed when you get up around 8-10 g's. I have had nothing but trouble and the dealer cant fix it. When my idle sticks high, my throttle becomes non-responsive, twice its done it to me on the freeway. Hey, but I am getting real good at emergency riding from the middle lane on a dead bike in heavy traffic!!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by biz44
This exactly true. On my 08' SG I ALWAYS use the kill switch, and I ALWAYS wait until the idle has returned to 1K RPM before I hit the switch to shut her down. Since I started this new shut down procedure I have not had any high idle issues at all.

Just so you know....I am also running a SE Super Tuner (or SE Pro Tuner as I have heard it called)

I think it would be a bit more accurate if you said the heat is still there, but the pipe has been rerouted to go under the frame, and then to the rear.

I have always used the kill switch and have always waited long AFter it has returned to idle, and I have stuck idel and non-responsive throttle often. I have a pro-tuner running a simple canned map for se air cleaner and race exhaust.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hoffy
I have always used the kill switch and have always waited long AFter it has returned to idle, and I have stuck idel and non-responsive throttle often. I have a pro-tuner running a simple canned map for se air cleaner and race exhaust.
In that case I would highly suggest you find a competent dealer service department who can diagnose your problem correctly, and then fix it correctly. You can NEVER put all your eggs in one basket with using only one dealer, and relying on their word & work to be accurate. Always shop around for a good service dept. you can ask other bikers in your area, and then when you find a place keep asking questions of the customers that you see in the service area.....do this until you find a quality dealer service dept.....believe me they are out there!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:19 AM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harley1005
I was talking to a guy while out riding today and he told me, "A&nbsp\\; friend of his '08 Street Glide throttle hung on him while riding in a pack and he came close to running over some riders, but hit the kill switch just in time to avoid the accident.
sounds like he had or has a different issue, maybe pilot error..

This issue is only at idle and you know it as soon as the bike starts. The fix is easy and takes less than a minute

Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing that I have done is before I shut everything down is that I make sure I have let the rpm's go back to the idle condition. If you shut it down anywhere else then you better get ready to reset it.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have 14,000 miles on my very early '08 with SERT. I've never had a problem with the idle speed, hot or cold.

Quick Reply: 08 drive by wire high idle - road side fix