Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Book on Blue SG with 700 miles and Sundowner Seat and Backrest

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 03:15 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Blue Book on Blue SG with 700 miles and Sundowner Seat and Backrest

ORIGINAL: Streetrunner

ORIGINAL: solorider

GOSTAZ,

I really think you should try calling corporate headquarters in Milwaukee. Their customer service number is 414-343-4056. No, they don't have a toll-free number or email access, but it may be worth a few dollars on your phone bill to let them hear your complaints and give them a chance to make it right.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Rob
Calling Harley is not even worth the dime. You're just wasting your time. Most of the morons you talk to don't have a clue. All they give is lip service.
Let me tell you, I have been having most of the above problems with my SG.
The dealer bought my first SG back. I had 2 factory reps looking at the bike. They gave me the bull sh&^ saying that everything was normal. I have been riding motorcycles for over 40 years and I knew something was wrong. What I didn't realize was that the problems I was complaining about were on all '06 touring models so, at the time, I thought the problems were limited to my particular SG.
I then accepted a second SG that cost me about $700 additional dollars. That's when I discovered the overheating etc. was on all '06 touring models.

This forum has been extremely helpful and informative in identifying problems and fixs. I am determined to get this bike right. It has cost me additional cash for mods and tuning and although I am still not happy I refuse to let it beat me. It's only a mechanical device it can be fixed!
I know we should not have to go through this frustation especially when you drop 20K for a new machine. Harley is beginning to recognize some of their short comings with the engineering of the touring models and is try to correct these issues. It just pissed me off in the early stages that they refused to publicly admit there were issues and that us owners didn't know shi%.

Appologies in advance if this has been clearly answered in previous threads, but I have seen numerous references to "overheating".

I may just be dumb, but what makes you think it's overheating? Do you have oil temp, EGT, or CHT gauge(s) telling you the bike is overheating? Is there a stored code in the ECM referencing an overheated state? If so, how hot it too hot?

Air cooled engines run HOT and Twin Cam's run even hotter than EVO's and various predicessors.

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:30 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil,

Harley's fuel-injection system adjusts the fuel mixture based on the heat of the motor...going so far as to program a skip in the firing of the motor under extremely hot conditions. It is my understanding that some folks are having problems with the system over-compensating or adjusting when it's not necessary.

I can't say this with complete authority because I'm not a wrench and I've never had the problem so I haven't looked into yet. These are just my assumptions based on what I've read on this site.

Anybody else........??

Old 03-10-2006, 06:16 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, the dealer called. They are fixing the seat... Apparently the bike was assembled with the left side bag mounted too far forward. They are trying to buff out the scuff now. I will ask the service writer to put a note on the ticket that this was an assembly issue. I will then ask that he initial this. If they cannot buff to my satisfaction, well, I will make a little noise about giving me a new lid. And keep making it until I get it.

Now comes the part that torques me. I told them about the heat problem, and that it occurs IN TRAFFIC, and when I am IN TRAFFIC, I put the bike in neutral.. Several schools of thought on this, but its what I do. They said a tech rode it for ten minutes, and could not get it to do it. They did not test it right.. The dealership is in the middle of BF Egypt in Maryland. Ain't no traffic there. So, I gotta have a talk with them about that, face to face, tomorrow. I will take the service bulletin in with me.

They did not even attempt to look at the radio. I am gonna ask for someone to either ride two up with me or follow me tomorrow, or for the mechanic to initial that he did not look at this issue. I will talk to the Service Manager about this in person, and ask what it will take to prove it to him that I have a valid issue.

They resurfaced the pads, which is something I did not know they could do? I have heard of making sure the discs are cool, but the pads? My ignorance there, comments welcomed. But that is what the service writer said. So, has anyone heard of this? Again, my ignorance is the issue here, but it sounded weird.

So, tomorrow I will go pick up. This is not a load of Crap... The bike was purchased December 23, 2005, from Rockville Harley Davidson. When I left it at the dealer last night, it had 745 miles on it. I am not thrilled about how this went down. I am also not thrilled about taking a bath on this thing if I sell it. But if you have a vehicle that does not run correctly, you are better off to find out what it will take monetarily to make it right, and if you don't think it is worth the money, away it goes. I am still trying to get someone to acknowlege that there is a valid issue. I will talk to two other local dealers tomorrow, and see what they have to say. It does not, as one poster said, have something to do with me belonging on a BMW. I love HD's, but I will not keep this one if I cannot get someone to fix it. I don't have any faith in them buying the bike back, they won't even look at the damn CD player which was a line item on the repair ticket. The issue here is not brand, it is the idea that 21k does not buy a correctly assembled, well running motorcycle. Hate on me for my approach to the issue if you want, but I am playing it the way I am playing it. I will start ringing phones today... But if I do end up having to sell this HD and losing money for 3 months of low quality ownership... Dudes, you will never see me on another one.. EVER.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:19 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

Other point of clarification...

When I talk about overheating, I am actually referring to the bike going in to Heat Management.. the bike RPM's start to drop, and eventually it will go to firing on one cylinder if I am reading right... There is no guage telling me anything, just the bike starting to idle really rough. If I sit for say 4 traffic lights, it will happen. So maybe my terminology is wrong.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:45 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GOSTAZ

When I talk about overheating, I am actually referring to the bike going in to Heat Management.. the bike RPM's start to drop, and eventually it will go to firing on one cylinder if I am reading right...
Yup, that's what I was referring to.

As far as resurfacing the pads; a few months ago, while visiting with the service manager of my dealership, I noticed a tech using a small grinder to 'chamfer' the edges of the pads on a new bagger. I asked what the deal was and he told me it was a quick fix that they had started to do when customers complained of squealing brakes.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GOSTAZ,

I'm really sorry to hear of all this hassle. My SG was just built in Feb and hopefully most of the bugs have been worked out by now.

I think you are on the right track on taking your bike elsewhere. Down here in So Cal there are tons of HD dealers and their level of service varies greatly.

I'm confident one of those other dealers will do what it takes to make your bike run right. It's warranty work that they get reimbursed for by the factory so it really behooves them to find out everything that is wrong. More fixes = More cash to them.

Hang in there buddy and keep on fighting. It's because of martyrs like you who experienced all these problems that later buyers like me benefitted.

Let me know when I can buy you a beer.

Primo

Old 03-10-2006, 10:33 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: GOSTAZ

When I talk about overheating, I am actually referring to the bike going in to Heat Management.. the bike RPM's start to drop, and eventually it will go to firing on one cylinder if I am reading right... There is no guage telling me anything, just the bike starting to idle really rough. If I sit for say 4 traffic lights, it will happen. So maybe my terminology is wrong.

Guess that's something new on the '06s. None of my bikes have ever done that. Heck, I live in TX - it gets REALLY HOT down here.

My suggestion would be to go pick it up & GFO. Cut your losses (not to mention frustration level) and never look back at that shop. Find another dealer and muster up a positive attitude and engage them. Like I said in my PM, some are great, some are decent, and some just flat SUCK. I don't think there's any question as to which category this one falls in.

Sounds like the injector issue that has been talked about so much may likely be at the root of your problem.

The CD issue is something I have heard a few locals mention, but they have also said that the dealership fixed them - no question, no hassle.

Dude - I wish you luck and hope it works out.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:23 AM
vrodcp
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remember that kbb is only a guide line,always try to get just market value

Old 03-11-2006, 05:46 AM
zenwee
Cruiser

Had similar problems out of the gate with my SG. My selling dealer has a great Sales & Parts Dept. However my experience with their Service Dept. was horrible!
Service Counter personnel are seemingly unempowered and quickly loose the "Customer Service" attitude the rest of the store obviously shares. My experience with several attempts to do business could be described as a Black Hole. Service Advisers don't communicate well with the customers or the Technicians while to busy taking HD tests on the computer. With out going into to many details I had a minor issue with the Fairing among a few other small issues. Arrive for Right Leg Surgery and Left Leg will be Amputated! Insult to injury, I was blamed for the botch!
Dealer installed engine mods and a SERT which was done before taking delivery and they were unable to eliminate a low speed stumble from day one. Service Adviser blamed exhaust system which I changed per recommendation only to find problem remained. Now out additional $$ for exhaust and additional Dyno time with Service Adviser now saying, "No I Didn't!". Several Visits & Several Months Wasted with no fix in sight! Off to another HD Dealer who's Service Dept is open 7 days a week, First appointment Problem Fixed in THREE HOURS! From day one, riding over 3k on bike with stumble, it finally runs like it should. I picked up 11 foot pounds of torque at 2500 rpm. with no additional modifications. Clearly the difference is a competent tuner who's HD tests were already done! I only wish I'd Cut and Run earlier. Each time I visited the Service Dept at the original selling dealer I left feeling worse than I started. The SG is my 5th new Harley I have owned and this was the first experience like this. The bike now Runs Great with almost 5k on the odo.
Now looking back I don't blame the bike, I blame the people I was dealing with. Make sure you have the Right People Doing The Job!!! Good Luck, Zen

Old 03-11-2006, 06:12 AM
SteveO
Road Master

What dealer is it?

Quick Reply: Blue Book on Blue SG with 700 miles and Sundowner Seat and Backrest