Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IOWA Loess Hills, Anyone rode this byway?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:00 PM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts
Default IOWA Loess Hills, Anyone rode this byway?

&nbsp\\;I hear alot about the Loess Hills in western Iowa and been wondering about making a ride up threw, anyone been on this? Any stops or info. would be great!
&nbsp\\;I haven't been on in a while, 50 hr work weeks, summer flu, and a tooth pulled yesterday, and a ER visit today for dizzyness. I am feeling better and thinking of rides now!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:01 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts
Default RE: IOWA Loess Hills, Anyone rode this byway?

The only part of it that I ride regularly is from Glenwood to Logan.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It's a pretty ride (for around here).&nbsp\\; Time it right and stop at the Pink Poodle in Crescent for a great prime rib dinner.

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Used to live up in Sioux City for about 12 years. It is scenic up there..but I think where Stro is talking is much better ride. Beautiful area Glenwood is..especially the back roads.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:01 AM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thurman to Hamburg, great ride. Well maintained oil composite&nbsp\\;road, full of turns, may encounter a farmer or two to pass, I think the speed limit is 50 mph as it is county maintained, so don't get in a hurry. But, it is not full of pot holes and you won't have any problems.
&nbsp\\;
Be sure to ride thru Waubansie State Park right off Highway 2, E. of I-29 4 or 5 miles. Some great short twisties, pretty tree covered park drive. Ride down and thru the hills there, and you can see the bare sloped&nbsp\\;top soil cuts, showing the content of the hills...No rocks, just wind blown topsoil from Nebraska. That&nbsp\\;is why they are so grown up in trees. If you look at the farms, they are all terraces, and farmed on the countour to prevent erosion. The&nbsp\\;loess soils&nbsp\\;support good crops when fertilized.&nbsp\\;The park is extremely gorgeous in the fall when the many tree leaves turn color.
&nbsp\\;
Sidney has a natl championship rodeo in August for 10 days. Also carnival. There is a winery right north of Thurman you can visit in the hills. Signs in town direct you. You will encounter some gravel on that visit though. Take your time, and enjoy a beautiful area.
&nbsp\\;