Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked "Y" header pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:55 AM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cracked "\\\\\\;Y"\\\\\\; header pipe?

Good reason to put on a set of D&amp\\;D Fat Cat.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:43 PM
hd74ci
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Not only do the Bassani sound great there is more seat of the pants felt torque and a increase in fuel mileage. Averaged 49mpg. with a stock carburated 88. A side benny I wasn't looking for but always welcome.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:38 AM
HogBack
Road Master

Mnay times it is how we bolt up the mufflers to the old exhaust pipes...put stress on the "Y" and it will crack...

Hogback

Old 08-12-2008, 10:42 AM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

fullsac performance but you have to buy 2 heat shields also-ride safe

Old 04-26-2009, 09:02 AM
yknock1
Stage II

Why do you have to buy 2 heat shields?

Old 04-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Keener
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because it is a FulSac. You need a heat shield for each nut.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:52 AM
ndnguyd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Had the same problem after I bought my bike.&nbsp\\; One of the left exhaust clamps was loose and the excess vibration caused the crack.&nbsp\\; Was your bike popping on decel?&nbsp\\; Mine was and thats how I found the problem...and it was hotter than hell too!
&nbsp\\;
I took it apart and had a local welder put a nice large bead on it...haven't had any problems since.
&nbsp\\;
good luck.

+1 Same thing here ..

Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 PM
RoadkingSwte
Stage I
Thumbs up

[quote=Whiskers;3595258]Had the same problem after I bought my bike. One of the left exhaust clamps was loose and the excess vibration caused the crack. Was your bike popping on decel? Mine was and thats how I found the problem...and it was hotter than hell too! I took it apart and had a local welder put a nice large bead on it...haven't had any problems since.

good luck.

Whiskers finding your post was a frustration reducer Bought my 2004 Road King Classic 2 1/2 years ago it had the Reinhart true duals already installed bike always ran great but I am hyper sentive to strange sounds clicking rattles and the bike has always had a ticking noise and had the HD dealer service it several times and other ride her and nobody heard the noise. It also started really running very hot on that pipe so hot it was almost burning my leg. Well yesterday that little ticking noise got really loud. I am no stranger to exhaust noise or internal engine noise. Well after having 5 different long time riders all looked at it all had a different answer to what it was but I knew it ran great except for the poping and now very LOUD ticking noise. Ray told me to start it up he held his hand down by the rear cylinder and then said look your bracket is broken poof just like I came right home and started searching for anything on this issue and there was your post Bam like it reach out and slapped my head. I went right out to remove the left pipe and as soon as I took the bolt out of the bracket out of the mounting bracket and the pipe bracket and and about 1/4 inch all the way around it dropped in my hand. So off to the welder tomorrow and I hope this solves my issues. Thanks for the post you saved me days of not riding in beautiful weather.

Roadking Sweetie