Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:43 AM
hammerhead32158
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this true?

I was told yesterday at my harley dealer that you can't put a power command on a bike that already has a race tuner. I know, I know, who would want to. I think I was duped. I had the harley dealer put the race tuner on when I had the Rinehart pipes put on. The problem was that the bike didn't have much power. A friend told me that race tuners have only a few adjustments and it was probably set to the settings that are in the race tuner manual. Of course I am stupid so I am beleining this. While at Johnstown this past weekend, I had the guy dyno my bike and he said basically the same thing. Soooo, he said that I should have a power command installed. Well I let him do it. After he was done, I rode it back to the hotel and it ran great. I left Saturday to go home, and on the way the thing started acting up. When pulling out, it would shut down. Stalling. After I got home, the fuel pump started running continually sometimes. I took it to the harley dealer yesterday and the mechanic said that having the power command and race tuner both, they are trying to&nbsp\\;"over ride"&nbsp\\;each other. Is this true? Other that the fact that it shuts down, it runs great. It actually has power now. The mechanic said I would have to take one of them off and also said that the race tuner would do as much as tha power commander but I would need to have the race tuner dynoed. He said thet the guy at johnstown screwed me. I guess I learned a lesson. Don't let anyone touch your bike unless you know or trust them. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know. Thanks. BTW, the fuel pump checked out OK. And the battery terminals are clean and tight.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Is this true?

The race tuner is not "on" the bike, its a box that connects to the ECM that allows a tuner to retune the stock system.&nbsp\\; As such the only limit to what the race tuner can do is the qualifications of the guy doing the tune.&nbsp\\; The race tuner does not "fool" the ECM like a PCIII does, it retunes it. If you have a good tuner you can get more out of a race tuner than out of a PCIII. I had my 08 Ultra dynoed with the race tuner and ended up with 16% increase in HP and TQ (also had SE a/c and Vance and Hines slip-ons put on).&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like they didn't return the ECM back to the default settings (original) before installing the PCIII maybe?&nbsp\\;Nothing wrong w/ SERT, it is the most adjustable and I'd run one,&nbsp\\;but good luck trying to find&nbsp\\;someone&nbsp\\;that can tune one right. I went w/PCIII and have been very happy. Got an FLHX with a&nbsp\\;built 95" motor (102 hp and 106 lbs/ft) and it gets 45 -50 mpg depending on speed. Got a buddy with an '07 CVO Ultra that never has run right (pings badly, runs hot, lousy mileage). He spent&nbsp\\;$500 for the SERT, $500 for the tune and several trips back to the dealer (more $) w/a supposedly renowned SERT&nbsp\\;tuner to retune.&nbsp\\;After seeing what he's been through I'm glad I went the way I did. Got $500 into my PCIII and custom map and I embarass his CVO regularly. Stay with the PCIII it, it'll be worth it.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

1.&nbsp\\; Whoever "tuned" your bike with the SERT did a poor job.&nbsp\\; As previously stated, the SERT isn't "on" the bike.&nbsp\\; The SERT allows the ECM to be reprogrammed for different fuel and ignition timing using a computer.
&nbsp\\;
2.&nbsp\\; The PCIII is an "add on" device that shouldn't be needed with a correctly SERT "tuned" (recalibrated) ECM.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
3.&nbsp\\; Your friend gave you bad information\\;&nbsp\\;the SERT allows for an almost infinite number of changes in fuel and ignition timing.&nbsp\\; In the hands of an incompetent person, it can allow the ECM to be reprogrammed to do serious engine damage.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 10:08 AM
hammerhead32158
Cruiser

So what do you suggest I do first. Unplug the pcIII and have the race tuner changed back to factory settings and then get the PCIII retuned? Or, should I get rid of the PCIII and have the race tuner set-up correctly? Either way, I already have well over a thousand dollars invested in the two. Can I sell either system or are they not reusable? Thanks for the help.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 AM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer

The SERT is tied to the serial number of your bike, so you can't really resell it. You need to choose one tuner or the other. Using both is asking for trouble. My mechanics like the SERT better as it has many more adjustments, but that requires more time and work by the tuner. They can all work. The trouble is finding a really good technician. good luck.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

1.&nbsp\\; The guy who told you that you have to take one off is wrong\\; you don't have to remove the PCIII, but it's not needed with a decent SERT tune.
&nbsp\\;
2.&nbsp\\; As mentioned, the SERT "marries" itself to the bike on the first use, so it won't work on another bike.
&nbsp\\;
3.&nbsp\\; The PCIII can be sold as it is reuseable on another bike.
&nbsp\\;
4.&nbsp\\; Find an HD dealership that has a competent dyno operator.&nbsp\\; If you are running Rineharts and an SE a/c or equivalent, the dyno operator should have plenty of experience with this set-up as it's very common.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Sorry to hear of your trouble.&nbsp\\; You seem to be getting some inaccurate information from folks who should know better.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 11:13 AM
hammerhead32158
Cruiser

Does anybody know where I can go to get this taken care of? I live in the York Pa. area but Laugerman's said they will not touch it since I have the PCIII installed. I would like to have this all fixed once and for all.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,368 Likes on 2,542 Posts

you can remove the pciii yourself and then they should do the dyno tune.&nbsp\\; but first, make sure that they have a competent tuner in house, otherwise, you'd just be throwing away your money (again)

Old 07-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are going to have the bike retuned with the SERT be sure to take the black box (SERT tuning module) with you. The place that tuned your bike initially with the SERT should have given it to you. I didn't get interface cables with mine, which would only be needed if I wanted to try tune it myself with a laptop. Dealer or tuners familiar with the SERT should have all the needed cables, but can't use a different SERT module because of the way it gets married to your VIN.

Quick Reply: Is this true?