Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is this true?

The only way you are going to recoup some cash is to remove the PCIII and sell it.&nbsp\\; Get the SERT&nbsp\\;dynoed the right way and you will be happy.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:45 PM
flhf150
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I was talking(by e-mail) to a trainer from Florida that seems to know what he's talking about. He gave me a list of tuners that he trained.&nbsp\\; There is Brian at Zepka Harley Davidson in Johnstown Pa. Maybe he can help you out. Let me know what happens.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:24 PM
e666h
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know they're not exactly in your neighborhood, but if you can get your bike to Montgomery County&nbsp\\;HD or Smaltz' HD they will give you a great tune.&nbsp\\;It will take about 4 yrs. and probably $300, but they have techs who dyno tune SERTS all the time, and your bike will run great. Get rid of the add-on module(pcIII). It's just another part that can fail. If the guy that sold you the PCIII knew you had a SERT then he is a money hungry DICK. He should have told you get your SERT tuned properly.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Kristy1980
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I admittedly don't know a lot of specifics on the advatanges of a SERT over pcIII and vice versa, but I have been in the auto repair industry (I'm a service advisor for a tranny shop)&nbsp\\;for a while and I've been doing a lot of observation of the motorcycle industry.&nbsp\\; It seems to me that everyone has their favorite, but the people with the best luck with either one have one thing in common:
&nbsp\\;
They have found a tech that they trust, and they only take their bike to that tech.&nbsp\\; Research new ideas and ask around for others opinions, but when it comes down to actually getting the work done, take it to the one you trust.
&nbsp\\;
Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't it make you feel warm and fuzzy to have to travel all over hell just to tune your SERT? That's what I'm talkin' about. Some guy in Florida is real good - great, does&nbsp\\;a lot of good if&nbsp\\;you're in New York, don't it? You can't get rid of it cause it's specific to your bike as soon as you hook it up. Nobody but HD pigeonholes you like that to my knowledge. I wish you the best of luck finding a good tuner closeby.&nbsp\\;There should be at least one in EVERY HD dealer and the MoCo should make sure of it, period.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:52 PM
e666h
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your right Leftcoaster. EVERY dealer SHOULD have a qualified tuner. Lots of dealers don't even have a dyno, but the need for one wasn't always there like it is now. With FI only bikes being sold now, I'm sure most dealers will have to step-up real soon. As far as the SERT being married to the bike, that kinda sucks, but when you get rid of your bike lots of other money stays with it also.Paint-chrome -carbs-cams-exhaust-intake-grips-seat-etc.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:17 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like everything is covered execpt for 1 thing. Get some new friends.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:01 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you did not put the O2 eliminators on with the PC-III, then, and only then, would they be fighting each other.

The problems sound rather like those others have reported with their 08s and are therefore totally unrelated to either having the stock ECU flashed with a SERT or to using a PC-III. Just bad timing, most likely.

Make me a good deal on the SERT if you no longer want it. I know they are wed to the first ECU they fornicate with, but I just want to try a few things and be able to use it to data log, which it will do with any bike.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:05 AM
johntheone
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should only be running one or the other, most of the comments in this thread are correct but the simple truth is that either the power commander or the race tuner will do a damn good job at increasing performance if installed, setup and matched with the correct and appropriate changes.

Find someone who really knows how to setup either, make your choice and get it setup correctly. You wont be dissapointed.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:03 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say the SERT is a scam. I bought into the HD line about how it's the greatest thing ever made but what they don't tell you is the fact that you are then a slave to the dealership and whoever happens to be doing the tuning that week. Screw that! I had my SERT reset and installed a PCIII and now my bike runs better than ever. I don't get all hung up on the HP/TQ numbers like some folks do- I just want my bike to run like it should. I've never had it dynoed to compare the PCIII numbers to the SERT numbers but I think they would be the same or very close.
If I had to do it over again, I would have never bought the SERT and used the savings to buy some better stuff.
If you have your SERT retuned to the Stage 1 setting, you should have no problems with the PCIII and you'll probably be happier than ever with your bike's performance. The nice thing is if you ever decide to do some major engine mods, you can still go back to the SERT.

Quick Reply: Is this true?