Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update...Should I do the extra engine work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Spartan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Update...Should I do the extra engine work?

It doesn't sound like changing oils will solve your problem.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;Do you run the motor hard?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; You may also want to try using Alemite CD 2.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Kristy1980
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I a woman and a blonde, but even I could tell you that changing oils will not do you one bit of good.&nbsp\\;That quart of oil is going somewhere and they need to find where its going before it gets ugly.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 01:31 AM
dmgary
Cruiser

OK stupid question... You sure that you are not leaking it anywhere?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I would not accept the bike back. Tell them one quart of oil is not a acceptable usage rate. And if it is you would like&nbsp\\;to have that on your recepit when given to you. Im pretty sure its not. Mine uses none and i also run full syn.&nbsp\\;If you have to call Harley. My friend works at the dealership and always tells the coustomer if you cant resolve it at this level continue to go up. So call them and explain whats going on. Dont except somthing that is not right.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Now as far as the dealer,&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Talk to them and ask them so what now i have to live with this oil consumption? Is this the product that you want your dealship to stand behind. God knows the Harley world is really small and with boards like this a dealership can get a bad name fast. Talk to them first before getting nasty. A dealer hardly makes ANY money on the work being done so a lot of times they write them off and yes they do have to show a rep why they did the warr work to begain with. I hope this helps and i wish you all the&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;luck on getting your bike fixed. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 02:57 AM
johntheone
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it ! instead recommend sending the parts to me (free of charge) and I will fit them&nbsp\\;

Cubs = increased torque and marginal power - chuck a cam in at the same time and if funds willing increase the flow in the head - have fun

Old 07-02-2008, 06:56 AM
My427stang
Cruiser

Well, some comments
&nbsp\\;
If the valve seals or guides&nbsp\\;are bad it will smoke on acceleration after engine braking, basically after you come back on it, and between shifts, but even then, the quantity you are burning really doesnt seem like valve seals
&nbsp\\;
The problem I have with his comments as a long time builder (V-8s not V-twins) is that&nbsp\\;a leak down test will NOT tell you what the oil rings are doing, only the compression rings.&nbsp\\; The only real thing that tells you if the oil rings are bad or if the bore is tapered is oil consumption..........
&nbsp\\;
If it were me, I see two choices, run it, or rebuild it.&nbsp\\; If it were me though, friend or not, I would just keep an eye on the logic, that leakdown comment concerns me.
&nbsp\\;
As far as punching it out to a 96?&nbsp\\; Go for it, no reason not to, and odds are its a bore taper problem more than a ring issue.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
The tune with no other changes wont be that different, and while you are at it, have him ensure its as near to zero deck as he can, it will be more powerful and more detonation resistant
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 05:58 PM
dmgary
Cruiser

Here is the specs to harley to give you a idea 1/2 quart every 500 miles or a quart every 1000 miles i know this is a lot but me a rep are sitting here talking as i write this email. He says if you are having a sump problem you will feel it in the power . do you know if you have theblack top vavle guides?&nbsp\\; good luck.......also feel in your exhaust if it is oily inside your burning it. good luck