Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel filter canister problems bought prior to 1/08

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fuel filter basket problems bought prior to 1/08

Results so far.....
&nbsp\\;
38 responses
30 no problems yet
8 failures
&nbsp\\;
That is a 21 percent failure rate so far.&nbsp\\; I would think that bases on the numbers so far it is a matter of when and not if. These are brand new bikes with parts that are failing after only a few months to maybe a year. What is going to happen in when all these fuel canisters turn 1-2 years old? If they are not holding now due to stress, cracking is eminent.
&nbsp\\;
Keep those numbers coming…I plan on getting mine swapped before failure but I still plan on sending these results off to the http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Badfinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

08 EGC 4850 miles build date 09/07 no issues.
&nbsp\\;
Mandog, your failure rate is heavily biased&nbsp\\;because it's only of those who responded not of all bikes built.

Ride well
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Jim

Old 07-03-2008, 08:04 AM
mindfd
6th Gear

08 UC, built 12/07, 3200 miles with no prob yet.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Badfinger

08 EGC 4850 miles build date 09/07 no issues.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Mandog, your failure rate is heavily biased&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;because it's only of those who responded not of all bikes built.

Ride well
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
Jim
&nbsp\\;
Can't do anything about that now can I. But the facts are the facts:
&nbsp\\;
1- They are failing
2- The moco redesigned the part ( why would they do that )
3- They starting to use the new and improved part on the production line
4- I know of three bikes down between 2 dealers waiting on the parts just in the past week
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Just the fact that they redesigned the part should call for some kind of recall or campaign in my opinion.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:58 AM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought mine 06/28/08 and it has 05/08 build date.Hopefully this one has the fix and i wont have any problems down the line.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 09:53 AM
TonyVT
Tourer

Thanks for supplying these part numbers. I called my dealer today and ordered these 2 parts to have them on hand just in case my bike goes down. The parts guy mentioned that they have not yet had to order any of these parts for any of their customers.

ORIGINAL: roadkingsaddlebrooke

Mine failed at 4200 miles, luckily on a two lane road that was not too busy at that hour. \\\\\\; HD part #62229-08A ,Filter Shell was replaced, along with \\\\\\; \\\\\\;part #61402-08A, gasket, top plate.
\\\\\\;

Old 07-03-2008, 11:27 AM
JoeSwiatek
Advanced

'08 Ultra purchased late September 2007. Knock on wood, no trouble so far. Just turned 10,000 miles and going to the Dragon in 2 weeks. Wish me luck.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Billiam92407
Tourer

I have an early build. Bought in in August 07... so it was probably built before 1/08
&nbsp\\;
No problem yet.... but now I'm paranoid!!

Old 07-03-2008, 04:02 PM
harris48cars
Road Master

What a bunch of idiots we are. We continue to bow at the HD alter. We are the most loyal group of motorcycle riders in the world, by far. And when something like this comes up, what does Wille G do for his servants. Nothing!!!!! I talked to my dealer today and they acknowledge there is a problem. Their opinion is that there should be a recall but as of right now it is a case by case warranty item. You know guys, if one of us breaks down near home this would be an inconvenience. But what about the guy riding high up in the Rocky Mountain national park at dusk and this thing goes bad or out in the Arizona desert or any other number of very bad places to break down. It's really disgusting. And here I am trying to buy another HD. I do have some pride and have been looking half heartedly at Victory bikes. I've had it with a sorry company like HD who could not care less about there clientele. And they really don't. This is serious stuff and they don't give a damn. BTW, I saw Willie G on a recent program and maybe I shouldn't put too much blame on him because frankly he doesn't look or a act like he's all there. I'm venting all of those loyal riders who do care. And it is almost guaranteed that someone will come on here and blast me for daring too say anything about the love of there life. In advance I would like to say, YOU are the biggest idiot of all. Lastly I already have ordered the replacement part and should have it today and then I can FIX my new $20,000 motorcycle while the MOCO sits on there azzes and laughs at us. We deserve it.
Gary

Old 07-03-2008, 04:06 PM
runningmad
Intermediate

Mandog - thanks for tracking this - mine is in shop at ~2500 miles he has seen problem on 12 others - got parts in yesterday - i could have mine back on Sat.

I agree with you - why would they change the part on the line if they didnt know they had problems & why didnt they get the word out to the dealers.... mine broke while I was doing 75mph on a 8 lane interstate. luckily i could get to the shoulder in light traffic.

Quick Reply: fuel filter canister problems bought prior to 1/08