Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLTR windshield help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:40 PM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FLTR windshield help

Ok, I LOVE my 08 Road Glide, but the buffeting is driving me nuts. I have tried a few different windshields, but I'm not finding the right one. I am 6'3" and have stock bars (might change those soon, but they shouldn't change the shield setup much), a seat lowered 1" by mean city and&nbsp\\;stock suspension (not lowered). I ride solo and 2 up, sometimes with a tour pak, but mostly not. I have a Memphis Shades on it right now simply because it was the only shield I could find when I was down it Daytona for Bike Week. I had suffered going down there with the Klock Werks shield and had to find something else to ride home with - the KW was horrible. I have hard fairing lowers being painted right now and I know this will help, but I want the best shield option too. Any help on this would be appreciated.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-29-2008, 02:44 PM
tjohnston9
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FLTR windshield help

I had the Klock Werks 12" also, but put them on eBay after a week. Ended up going with the tall HD windshield (18"). I'm 6'4", and it works great...

Old 06-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Check out http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=9&nbsp\\;. They make a quality product and may be able to do you some good.&nbsp\\; I am also tall and it took me three tries to find a windshield that I was reasonably happy with.
&nbsp\\;
Good luck,
Steve R.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:30 PM
HDCHROME110
Intermediate

I put the tall HD windshield on last fall, just to keep the air off - now bug free.
&nbsp\\;

[IMG]local://upfiles/61843/7C71376340BD41B3A24E5589410E4124.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-29-2008, 04:53 PM
winston chopper
Tourer

I just got thew clearview 9.5 " smoked recurve and it out performs my stock HD 12". I have heard nothing but satisfaction with clearview. I am looking into getting a smaller 1 too for around town because I think there will be minimum buffeting even with a 6".

Old 06-29-2008, 05:06 PM
meveratt
Tourer

I just put the HD tall windshield on (3" over stock) and while its better than stock, I still get more buffeting and noise than I did on my old Dyna with a 19" Memphis Fats. I have the 08 RG, so it comes with the between-the-forks deflector there is some air coming from below the fairing, but I think in this case most of the buffetting and windnoise is caused by air coming around the side of the windshield. I might go to a 3/4 helmet instead of the 1/2 just to protect my ears. I tried earplugs, but I just can't get used to them on the bike.

I'm 6'1" (tall in the body, not legs), 230lb. I'm also on the fence about seats I'm trying the tallboy seat that the bike shop lent me, but it still feels too small. The stock seat got me right in the nads.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:21 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

Funny you should post this now because I just got back from a 3 hr ride on the RG and the friggen head buffetting is just about unbearable.I've tried 2 shields so far - the HD 6" and the stocker cut down by 4". I'm 5'6" so I need a fairly short shield. Both are about the same for turbulence.

I tried an experiment today to see if I could find the 'pocket' and I did. There is a nice, quiet air pocket about a foot forward from where I sit (closer to the shield). A very noticable reduction in turbulence there. The air coming around the sides of the shield is smooth but the air coming over the top in very broken up and that's what gives you the buffetting. Try using your left hand when at speed to 'feel' the air and you will see what I mean.

I also tried riding with NO shield installed and actually prefer the clean wind blast you get that way. Tried different helmets and found an old Bell Tourstar I've had for years actually is better than the new 3/4 I was using.

What to do about this problem? I don't really know anymore. I guess I can spend a few 100 more dollars looking for a shield that lets me ride in some comfort but I'm kinda gunshy now. This problem really takes away from the enjoyment of this otherwise great bike..&nbsp\\;

Old 06-29-2008, 05:35 PM
NJMadDog
Cruiser

Clearview recurve is the way to go. I have the 8" recurve and &nbsp\\;at 5'9" I see well over it and when riding 2 up with the wife she says she loves it, it throws the wind up and over her.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:47 PM
hoz88
Road Master

ORIGINAL: NJMadDog

Clearview recurve is the way to go. I have the 8" recurve and &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;at 5'9" I see well over it and when riding 2 up with the wife she says she loves it, it throws the wind up and over her.
&nbsp\\;
Apples and oranges comparing a Street Glide to a Roadie.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Byron
Advanced

The first mod I did to mine was to put the Clearview shield on.&nbsp\\; Great improvement over the HD stock.