Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taking off with the fork locked

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 05:14 PM
forestfarm
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking off with the fork locked

How many riders have had the joy to witness this maneuver.I was eating lunch outdoors by the bikes&nbsp\\;, when a new harley owner saddled up and took off like the wind with the fork locked.It was funny as a MF.I tried not to laugh but couldnt help it.Didnt hurt the bike too bad,most damage was to the&nbsp\\;riders ego.Just wondered if this&nbsp\\;has happened to a few or to many riders.I rarely use the fork lock,but when I do,you can be damn sure I unlock it before throwing a leg over the bike.Raining here all&nbsp\\;afternoon in beautiful NH.Just clearing up now

Old 06-27-2008, 05:20 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: taking off with the fork locked

Now thats funny.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I feel sorry for the guy though.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Im still laughing.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I hate to say it, but how could you do that?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I mean not notice that the fork was locked and take off!!!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Come On!!!&nbsp\\; I know it can't happen on my bagger, thank goodness.

2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Never done it myself... But I'm sure it would be funny to see it happen (to someone else)

garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

wow it could have been a real disaster hes lucky he didnt get hurt
&nbsp\\;
i have never done it or seen it not sure if i would laugh or not&nbsp\\;we all where newbies
&nbsp\\;
at one time...safe riding

Old 06-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well cant do it on the SG, have to unlock the forks to turn on the switch. But someone I know was in a hurry trying to beat&nbsp\\; a sprinkler system that came on at thunder beach. jumped on took off in the grass luckily and forks were locked.&nbsp\\; down he went, nothing hurt.&nbsp\\; But the story is Funny as hell.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:36 PM
jagonza1
Intermediate

Guilty.&nbsp\\; I forgot to take my disc lock off at a rally in pueblo colorado.&nbsp\\; I bet&nbsp\\;I was the topic of a few blogs and laughs on forums.&nbsp\\; Now I put a cable from the lock to my brake lever so I don't humiliat myself again.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Roadking04
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Never done fork lock but have done disc lock.&nbsp\\; At least with disc lock you only go about a foot.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:37 PM
caspr2
Tourer

&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;Never seen anyone ride off with the forks locked, but have seen a few try to take off with a disc lock on. Makes for a sudden stop!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:38 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

That is funny, but I guess the funny part is that it reminds me of something I did more than 20 years ago.......... I was riding a Kawasaki 1100 Spectre at the time. The key switch on that bike was "off" in the center, "on" to the right and "fork lock" to the left. You had to push down and make an effort to lock the forks.......... or so it seemed.
&nbsp\\;
I was living in an apartment complex in a very small town at the time. The bike had two 2 into 1 straight pipes on it. It was very loud and I was always trying to find a way not to get myself kicked out of the apartment for being too loud. I used to run up the speed as much as I could before I got to the driveway, shift to neutral, shut the key off and coast all through the parking lot to my spot. This worked perfectly day after day after day.............
&nbsp\\;
Then one day I actually managed to turn the key one more notch past off while I was turning into the parking lot. The bike was shut off, still coasting about 30-40 mph when I realized the forks were locked in a hard left turn.
&nbsp\\;
Good thing&nbsp\\;it was a wide open parking lot, because I made two quick circles before I got her shut down. I guess nobody saw it because nobody ever asked me what that was all about.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Dennis

Old 06-27-2008, 05:40 PM
dyebartdie
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Roadking04

...but have done disc lock.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; At least with disc lock you only go about a foot.
Done the disc brake lock too and it bent the rotor[:@]

Quick Reply: taking off with the fork locked