Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise while leaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:55 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default noise while leaning

We have reached the 1000 mile mark on our EGC. I've noticed a mechanical "whine" when the bike is leaning through a turn(either way). It is not the 5th gear whine so many people have talked about...it does it in any gear or speed. I thought about tire whine but have ruled that out after listening closely as I ride in different conditions. It doesn't sound like it's about to come apart but it did not make that sound when we first got it and I just wonder if any of you guys have heard such a noise.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 PM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: noise while leaning

check the belt drive and guard.
I'll be watching this one to see what you find

Old 06-26-2008, 08:33 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similar noise when I lean through turns also. I have checked everything I can think of, so I guess a trip to the dealer is in order.
&nbsp\\;
At first I thought it was just the voices in my head again
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Dogwood
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the front tire, put some more miles on 'em and the noise will go away.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

I agree with Dogwood. It's the front tire.
&nbsp\\;
Although my front has 15,000 on it and it hasn't gone away. But I ride mostly on the freeway and not that agressive. I don't get on the side of the tire much but when I do I can really hear it.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a whine in the front wheel of my '89 EGC when leaning and my '07 does the same thing.&nbsp\\; It sounds like wheel bearings loading up and my '89 would do it regardless of the bearings just being repacked or if they had a lot of miles on the grease job (new ones are sealed). I believe it's the bearings taking a thrust loading in the corners that they don't otherwise have. I also think it's more audible on a Classic than an Ultra because there are no lowers to muffle the sound. I'll let the guy at the service desk tell you that it's normal for an HD though.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

ORIGINAL: Woodchuck

I had a whine in the front wheel of my '89 EGC when leaning and my '07 does the same thing.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It sounds like wheel bearings loading up and my '89 would do it regardless of the bearings just being repacked or if they had a lot of miles on the grease job (new ones are sealed). I believe it's the bearings taking a thrust loading in the corners that they don't otherwise have. I also think it's more audible on a Classic than an Ultra because there are no lowers to muffle the sound. I'll let the guy at the service desk tell you that it's normal for an HD though.
&nbsp\\;
My RK does it also but I can only hear it if there is something for the sound to bounce off of, like a k-rail.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I heard it for the first time yesterday.&nbsp\\; I was riding in the rain and could hear it going around a turn.&nbsp\\; Strange noise, not sure what it is.&nbsp\\; Tire sounds likely but would you hear it in the rain, with wet road?

Old 06-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My money is on the tire.T.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:47 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ultrasweet

My money is on the tire.T.
+1 Money on the tire, too.&nbsp\\; Have heard it several times, flipped me out the first time.&nbsp\\; I have had it happen a&nbsp\\;couple times upright, but mostly in turns.&nbsp\\; I wanted to make sure, so a few times when I heard it and it stopped after the turn, I turned around and did it again to duplicate it.&nbsp\\; Sure enough, there it was.&nbsp\\; I'm starting to even see the type of pavement that might be causing it and sometimes now I go into a curve expecting to hear it.&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: noise while leaning