Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diy tire change

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: diy tire change

went to local Boss Hoss dealer they installed rear tire on my Ultra for $55.00,I will continue to have them do it.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 PM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

It all depends on whether you actually ENJOY working on your bike. If you don't, then it's silly to try to mount your own tires. But I look at the two alternatives:

1) Spend a couple of leisurely hours in my climate-controlled garage, listening to satellite radio, smoking a pipe, and there's no one there but me and the machinery. The job is done right\\; if something's damaged, I know exactly who to blame. I always have a set of tires on the shelf, ready to go for when the time comes.

2) Call and try to schedule a tire change at a dealer or independent. If I'm lucky, then they'd actually do it when they say they will. That would undoubtedly be at their convenience, not mine. So I'd better predict exactly when I need the tire and not run it down to 2/32" first.

Stand around with my thumb in my a$$ while they get to my job. Pay a bunch of money. Hope they balanced it right. Take it home and still have all the work of installing the wheel (or, of course, pay more money and have them do the whole works. Then I can hope that they tension the belt correctly.)

Easy call for me.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:02 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You.&nbsp\\; Just had the rear done today at the dealer.&nbsp\\; $100 labor.&nbsp\\; Well worth it.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:57 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

vise and tire irons

Old 06-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Black Flag
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to start doing my own too.&nbsp\\; Just bought a rear tire from local indy for a good price.&nbsp\\; But, the pimple-faced "tech" didn't even know how to take the bags off!&nbsp\\; So, I was helping him out with a few pointers, when out comes the owner.&nbsp\\; Chases me out of the shop, condemns hes salesman for quoting me the low price on the R&amp\\;R, humiliates the poor kid, right in front of me, then fumbles through the install while I watch.&nbsp\\; Of course, he fought with me the whole time for watching, while he's fighting with my bike.&nbsp\\; Here's a quote: We don't have a 36mm socket.&nbsp\\; So I say: 1 7/17 will work too.&nbsp\\; He sez: I've got 1 1/2"...that's close enough.&nbsp\\; I had to re-do all his work when I got home, including re-attaching the slip-on that was hanging out of the head pipe.&nbsp\\; I got what I paid for, I guess, but luckily, it was a cheap lesson.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:17 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ken thompson

You.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Just had the rear done today at the dealer.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; $100 labor.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Well worth it.
Thats cool if you got the bucks, Me I can do the maint. on the wheel while It,s off (brakes,bearings, good cleaning change and balance the tire, and be riding in less then two hrs. 50 bucks an hr is a hell of a lot more then I've ever made. plus I know it's done right.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: tailgater

Been there, done that. The vise squeezes both sides at the same time and the tire sides will come together before the bead breaks. Guess I will look at the Harbor Freight machine and also talk to my local tire shop.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I would like to do the whole thing myself for the money savings and I could do it at my convenience.
[align=left] [/align]
You're on the right track. The Harbor Freight rig has the bead breaker built in. Add a Mojolever http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm &amp\\; a Marc Pharns balancer, &amp\\; you have nearly all you need. One or two tires will pay for the tools, the rest of your tire changes will be free.

For those that don't think it's worth it, consider this. I balance the wheel first. The heavy spot is rarely the valve stem so after I mount the tire I usually need fewer weights to balance the tire &amp\\; wheel. I don't scratch my own rims or the rims of friends I change tires for. I don't screw up the bikes I work on. I replace my valve stems with metal stems. I know what I'm riding on, both product &amp\\; workmanship.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:33 PM
tailgater
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to you and roadhog2 I ordered the j&amp\\;p bead breaker. They also have nylon rim proctors for 6 bucks so I got a couple of them. No more waiting at the dealers while someone does my work for me. I will also use the dyno beads for balancing. Thanks for the info.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-27-2008, 07:56 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok seems like there arent ANYold school mechs here so heres how to do it. lay a 2 by 4 on the grond lay rim on top of board . lay 2nd 2 by 4 on top by rim and slowly drive a vehicle onto the board and voila! the rim bead pops!!&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; thats how its done on the old school days. i have done so many rims this way i can do it in&nbsp\\; my sleep

Old 06-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior

Here's another 2x4 old school technique.&nbsp\\; Take a 4-5 foot long board to serve as a lever.&nbsp\\; Place one end of it under your car for an anchor.&nbsp\\; With the wheel beside the car, place a short 2x4 block on the bead and press down with&nbsp\\;your 2x4 lever.&nbsp\\; Don't laughit works!&nbsp\\; It hasn't failed me yet.

Quick Reply: diy tire change