Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Size screen for 8k Summer roadtrip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:48 PM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which Size screen for 8k Summer roadtrip?

Okay,
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I am leaving on July 08 for the pacific NW (CA, OR, WA) then through ID, MT, WY,SD,CO, and UT on our way back to Sin City.
We will be on the road camping (for the most part) for a month so I will already be carrying alot of **** - but I do have a tour-pak ...
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
In the poll&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;are my obvious options, with a few kind of obscure ones too.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Please post up and give me your opinions. I can carry two windscreens but would rather find the right one.
My 6" windscreen is my fave, and I will be carrying my full face helmet for "weather" so I can go that route and it is my first option.
I can see over the 9" one if I sit like I am in a skewlchair, but I hate to ride like that. I don't mind looking through it when it is clean. But it sucks when it is all bugged up tho.
It is compulsory for me to look through the 12 inch screen (which sux) but I do respect the protection it offers.
I have warm gear (leather/raingear/bringing my full face helmet/soft lowers) so I am not too worried about being able to keep up with the cold (at reasonable levels 40+).
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
However, I&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;have never&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;taken off for a roadtrip this long and am curious about the wear the wind can have.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I have baked my eyeballs and had sand scratch them as I rode enough to know I&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;need something for the bad times.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I think the full face when needed and the 6" screen would work well but I almost think the 9 inch screen would be better if I were thinking like an old (see:wise) guy ...
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
But I hate to use a fogged up/dirty/bugged up windshield in bad conditions. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
And I do not want to bake behind my little clear prison as I ride across SD Badlands, or Utah/NV heat either.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
So I come to you guys.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Whaddyathink?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
PS and If this actually posts, then thanks to the MODs and Admins that got the site working again!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:53 PM
driesb
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Size screen for 8k Summer roadtrip?

I've got nothing usefull to add but I just wanted to say how jealous I am!
Have a good trip and enjoy!
Dries

Old 06-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Rattle Can
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm, I assume you are somewhere between 4'9" and 7'2", so I'll tell you what little I know....
&nbsp\\;
I did two weeks on a trip last summer behind the stocker wearing a full face.&nbsp\\; It worked really well as far as cutting the buffeting.&nbsp\\; I didn't like the bug collection, glare, or distortion in the corners.&nbsp\\; I also prefer to look over a shield.
&nbsp\\;
Bought a 4".&nbsp\\; Looks cool as hell...and that is all.
&nbsp\\;
Bought an 8" Fastaire.&nbsp\\; (Awesome service, btw)&nbsp\\; Good protection but the sight line is close enough to eye level that it ain't going to work.&nbsp\\; Good wind protection, but, I was looking over it on the level highway but looking through it when I would crest a hill.&nbsp\\; Ain't gonna do it.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
When I go home for lunch I am expecting to see my new 6" Fastaire waiting for me.&nbsp\\; It SHOULD be just right.&nbsp\\; I hope it's right because I am leaving in a few days for a 4000 mile trip.
&nbsp\\;
I am 5'9" or 5'10", or 6'4" when I am intoxicated, FLHT with a Rallyrunner seat which is probably 2" shorter than stock and ride with a half helmet.&nbsp\\; I hope you can use some of this trivial info, and if not, have a great trip anyway!&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 01:09 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My vote is for whichever size you can barely see over, in my case it's the 9". Like you said, nothing is worse than riding into the sun or headlights with a dirty windshield, especially when it is barely misting outside. You can always order&nbsp\\;a customized windshield, or cut the 9" down a tad. It's not hard, do a web search on cutting the windshield.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:27 PM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll probably seem some rain over a month's period of time, but it should not be a big problem. I like a taller windshield, but there are the problems you mentioned. I'm 6/2" so it hasn't been a big problem, but sometimes I would just as have a shorter one for the reasons you state. I would go with the shortest one that you're happy with, especially if you've got a full face helmet. You're probably going to have more issues with bugs than with rain. I look at my bug-spattered windshield and note that without it they would be splattered all over me. It's no fun getting slammed in the face by a giant beetle or a hornet at 70mph.

Sounds like a great trip. I'm jealous.