Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re: Turn signal/brake light

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Captain Rumbelly
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turn signal/brake light

Okay...this may be a stupid question but I am going to ask anyway. Is there a kit I can buy that turns my back orange signal lights into red brake lights. I have a RKC and I see some like mine and some where the orange cover is switched to red and also comes on when the brakes are applied. Seems to me this is a safety issue as I get nervous about some a$$hole behind me not seeing my single red brake light when I'm sitting at a stop. I will usually pump my brake a couple of times hoping he will notice me.
Thanx!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Re: Turn signal/brake light

Yes, you can get them from HD and there are some aftermarket sources out there also.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:36 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Here it is:
Auxiliary Running Light / Brake Light / Turn Signal Conversion Kit

Turn signal module adds an auxiliary brake light and running light function to your existing turn signals for auxiliary rear lighting. Easy-to-install, the kit simply plugs into your existing wiring harness. Red turn signal lenses are included. Meets DOT requirements.&nbsp\\;

69461-06A

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Flat Lens Style

Fits all '96-later Softail® models and '97-later Touring models equipped with flat lens style turn signals. (Does not fit with Narrow Chrome Directional Bar P/N 68611-98.)&nbsp\\;

MSRP US $54.95

Old 06-26-2008, 11:47 AM
phillaf65
Advanced

I installed this on my 07 RKC.&nbsp\\; Easy install and well worth the $$$ considering all of the idiots I see chattering away on their cell phones.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 11:50 AM
BEAST
Cruiser

I can not stress the importance enough of NOT removing your ambers. When you need to be seen in rain,fog, or just pulled over. Turn on your emergency flashers. It was my first train of thought "get more red back there" WRONG! Ever watch bikes that have changed the ambers for reds...can't see em worth a darn. If you don't like the looks of the ambers you can put on smoke lens's and they still have the amber visability. The group I ride with know from some real life experiences in bad weather. We would never remove the ambers.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I totally agree with BEAST, also the ambers are way more visible as a signal light for lane changes or turns, the reds are real easily missed by someone behind, especially on a bright sunny day. On my 02 Dyna I put on a Backoff license plate frame that had a row of red LEDs that gave me an extra running and brake light, I also put on a Backup flasher module that would blink the turn signals 4 times and the brake lights when you hit the brake (signal lights would not flash if you had a turn signal on).&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Trbolvr
Tourer

I bought these:
&nbsp\\;
Kuryakyn Panacea LED tail lights and turn signals...turn signals work as red brake lights when braking and are amber when being used as turn signals.&nbsp\\; Contrary to what some on this forum may say...they are bright.
&nbsp\\;
Bought mine from Eastern Performance...cheaper than the catalog and free shipping.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 12:01 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: dougbk

Here it is:
Auxiliary Running Light / Brake Light / Turn Signal Conversion Kit

Turn signal module adds an auxiliary brake light and running light function to your existing turn signals for auxiliary rear lighting. Easy-to-install, the kit simply plugs into your existing wiring harness. Red turn signal lenses are included. Meets DOT requirements. \\\\\\;

69461-06A

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Flat Lens Style

Fits all '96-later Softail® models and '97-later Touring models equipped with flat lens style turn signals. (Does not fit with Narrow Chrome Directional Bar P/N 68611-98.) \\\\\\;

MSRP US $54.95
This is the correct kit for the flat lens, the larger UC type lenses are a different pn. The parts guy told me they are all the same connection at the module and will fit everything that HD makes, but some models are not listed as FLHX and FLTR, because of a FMVSS law that says the additional brake lights have to be a certain distance apart, thats why they dont list those models, but the kit does work.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The "plug and play" LED conversion kit for the brake light adds a lot of brightness compared to the OEM brake light.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Rattle Can
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the bike in for the 5000 mile service and had that kit put on.&nbsp\\; I love it!

Quick Reply: Re: Turn signal/brake light