Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjusting headlights on 08 Roadglide

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:41 AM
smittydog27
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting headlights on 08 Roadglide

I need to adjust my headlights up on my Roadglide.&nbsp\\; I know where the access holes are, I have the 4.5mm deep socket and flex drive.&nbsp\\; However, the holes and the adjuster stems don't seem to line up.&nbsp\\; The stems see 'raised' in the hole and I cannot get the socket to set on them.&nbsp\\; Has anyone else had this problem?&nbsp\\; Could it be the inner fairing is mis-aligned?&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I know I can take it to the dealer, but I would prefer to do it myself.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks

Old 06-26-2008, 12:22 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts
Default RE: adjusting headlights on 08 Roadglide

ORIGINAL: smittydog27

I need to adjust my headlights up on my Roadglide.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I know where the access holes are, I have the 4.5mm deep socket and flex drive.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; However, the holes and the adjuster stems don't seem to line up.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The stems see 'raised' in the hole and I cannot get the socket to set on them.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Has anyone else had this problem?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Could it be the inner fairing is mis-aligned?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks
&nbsp\\;
I can think of a couple options off the top of my head.
1) loosen the&nbsp\\;outer fairing (6 torx screws and the turn signal mounts) and push down on the outer fairing so the adjusters are more centered in the holes, so you can adjust.&nbsp\\; retighten everything so it stays that way
2) remove the outer fairing entirely which will give you full access to the adjusters
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 12:25 PM
BEAST
Cruiser

All I can tell you is my buddys wife has a 08 RG and he had a bugger of a time with them. He couldn't get the socket on either. I thought he was just being all thumbs. I tried too and there was like nothing there. He told me later he went in from the front somewhere and was able to get on the srews with a pliars to turn them enough to get on them from the other side(rear). I don't know if this helps any.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

I too, had tried to adjust the headlights from the inner fairing without much success.&nbsp\\; What I ended up doing was removing the assembly from the fairing (when I had maintenance done), and basically adjusted both screws to neutral position.&nbsp\\; This seemed to work well, and no other adjustments were needed.&nbsp\\; Not sure if this would work for all RGs, but it would be worth a try.&nbsp\\;

ORIGINAL: smittydog27

I need to adjust my headlights up on my Roadglide.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I know where the access holes are, I have the 4.5mm deep socket and flex drive.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; However, the holes and the adjuster stems don't seem to line up.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The stems see 'raised' in the hole and I cannot get the socket to set on them.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Has anyone else had this problem?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Could it be the inner fairing is mis-aligned?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks

Old 06-27-2008, 09:27 AM
smittydog27
Advanced

Thanks for the information guys&nbsp\\;
I ended up seperating the fairing last night and adjusted the studs while the fairing was off.&nbsp\\; When I put it back it seemed to shift and now it will allow me to actually adjust it without taking it off (in the future)
I cranked it&nbsp\\;4 turns clockwise &nbsp\\;I will ride tonight to see if the pattern is raised up enough
I marked the levels on the wall but its not the same as actual night riding

Old 06-27-2008, 10:11 AM
smittydog27
Advanced

forgot to mention, when I opened up the fairing, the speakers were labeled with Made in CHINA
&nbsp\\;
ARGH, oh well.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Does Harley even check where the headlights are aimed when they build the bike? I've seen a lot of them that looked like the headlight was barely on and have finally realized that most of them aren't aimed properly.&nbsp\\; I rented a UC a while back.&nbsp\\;When I finally rode the bike after dark, the headlight put a wonderful spot of light about 4 feet in front of the wheel and over in the left lane.&nbsp\\; I pulled over and looked at the headlight bezzle and you could see that it was aimed hard left and down.&nbsp\\;?? As for the speakers, try http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=6&nbsp\\;.
&nbsp\\;
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:46 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

you are surpised about the chinese speakers ?? all there clothing is made in china
&nbsp\\;
and any other&nbsp\\; country they can buy&nbsp\\; cheap from not complaining my closet is full
&nbsp\\;
of chinese cloths