Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ultr classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:39 AM
Guitars1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ultr classic

&nbsp\\;does anyone know how many volts are in the cig lighter? Or how to run a wire from the battery and turn it into 5v for my siruis radio. I would rather run the wire from the battery for this. Or does just putting an in line 5v fuse in on the + side make it 5v?

Old 06-26-2008, 06:48 AM
alame
Tourer
Default RE: ultr classic

its a 12 volt system, either from the cig lighter or the battery, putting a 5v (amp?)fuse won't change anything, wire it in to your&nbsp\\;sirruis and&nbsp\\;happy listening&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 06:52 AM
rlb5857
Cruiser

What I did was to use the original cigarette lighter plug 5V adaptor and modify the plug by soldering on two leads from inside the plug that I connected to the Aux Switch. I mounted the adaptor under the fairing with tie wraps to any existing wiring harness. Now I can turn off the radio with the Aux Switch on the fairing. If you take the original 5V adaptor apart you will see that it has voltage reduction circuitry and filters. By no means can you hook up 12V to the radio without this voltage reducer!!

Old 06-26-2008, 06:53 AM
Guitars1
3rd Gear

&nbsp\\;I know it is a 12 v system, but so is a car. How come it works in the car but not on the bike? This is the cig lighter question, sorry, LOL!

Old 06-26-2008, 06:56 AM
Araba Shriner
Road Master

\\\\\\;does anyone know how many volts are in the cig lighter? Or how to run a wire from the battery and turn it into 5v for my siruis radio. I would rather run the wire from the battery for this. Or does just putting an in line 5v fuse in on the + side make it 5v?
Your bike has a 12VDC system. Running a wire from the battery will not change the voltage supply. Putting an in line fuse will not change the voltage rating. You would need some sort of stepdown converter if your siruis radio requires a 5VDC input.

Ride Safe !!!

Old 06-26-2008, 07:15 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Guitars1

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;does anyone know how many volts are in the cig lighter? Or how to run a wire from the battery and turn it into 5v for my siruis radio. I would rather run the wire from the battery for this. Or does just putting an in line 5v fuse in on the + side make it 5v?
The step down for your radio is in the plug that you put in the cigar lighter. I had the same issue on my Magellan. I opened up the faring and wired another Cigar outlet inside, you can tap into the wires on the existing cigar lighter or there is another 12 volt source in there. Plugged my adapter for my GPS into the new cigar outlet and taped it all together so it wouldnt come loose and ran the wire out along the handle bar. When the GPS is not in use you can just tuck the wire back in the whole.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:20 AM
Guitars1
3rd Gear

OK now that is some good info right there, I am not even sure if I ned to make it switch from the faring I could just soilder it in line from the battery to the surius and it should work right?

Old 06-26-2008, 07:21 AM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

you need a DC to DC converter...&nbsp\\; Very simple to make, you can do a google search to find the schematic to build.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Guitars1
3rd Gear

My issue is that when I plug in my siruis plug into my lighter it doesn't work, so I am wondering if the cig lighter might be wired backwards, where the center is not hot. I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing if I had to use my lighter, I was trying to just wire it direct, I just want the radio to work. I no long need the cig lighter because I quite smoking 1 1/2 yrs ago!

Old 06-26-2008, 07:55 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all due respect, stay away from this.&nbsp\\; Find someone who KNOWS what they're doing to help you.

Quick Reply: ultr classic