Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever use aviation fuel in their Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Mardav
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone ever use aviation fuel in their Harley?

Uh, what they said...100LL is leaded and not for catalytic converters.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Plus we usually mix it with some pump gas (I'm a private pilot, and have the same problem\\\\\\; we have to defuel sometimes for weight and balance and don't want to take a chance storing and re-using the avgas) because the avgas does not have the additives of pump fuel and it absorbs water at a high rate, even though the lead provides for 'anti-knock' properties.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Also avgas has a lower vapor pressure to keep it liquid at altitude and prevent vapor lock.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;If you run a lot of it you should keep on eye on the spark plugs.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; 100 octane is not much higher than pump high test and many small plane operators get 'stc's' to run 'mogas' in the airplane because it is cheaper.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Have fun, don't worry!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 AM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ultrasweet

A friend of mine just told me that he has about 200 gallons of avgas ..... He said he thinks it would run great in my bike. Anybody have any experience with this? T.
As mentioned by others, 100LL is leaded, pretty heavily.&nbsp\\; Late HDs aren't designed to operate on leaded gas.&nbsp\\; That would be enough for me, free or not.&nbsp\\; Too much money invested in the bike to experiment with unapproved fuels.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:54 AM
rodeking
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My son is the FBO at a local airport.&nbsp\\; We ran 100 Low lead Av gas in our Harley's Untill the valves started sticking in his Fatboy. 100 LL av gas has 4 times the lead of auto gas.&nbsp\\; He ran some marvel mystery oil in the crank untill engine got warmed up, drained it, filled with Amsoil and all is well.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:03 AM
mrbuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my buddy used to get it free from some onean dwe all ran it every time we needed gas and were around his house. like said kinda half an half turn your pipe tips almost silver ran fine for me

Old 06-26-2008, 09:13 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

ORIGINAL: racklefratz

ORIGINAL: Ultrasweet

A friend of mine just told me that he has about 200 gallons of avgas ..... He said he thinks it would run great in my bike. Anybody have any experience with this? T.
As mentioned by others, 100LL is leaded, pretty heavily.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Late HDs aren't designed to operate on leaded gas.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; That would be enough for me, free or not.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Too much money invested in the bike to experiment with unapproved fuels.
Lead had a cushioning effect on the valves and seats in the heads and was very beneficial as I recall.&nbsp\\; After switching a car to unleaded fuel, often the valves and seats had to be redone and hardened from what my muscle car friends have told me...I have no direct experience.&nbsp\\; So anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a blend.&nbsp\\; Buy cheap 87/89 octane fuel and mix it 50/50 or so with the AV fuel and I suspect it would run better than ever and the cost savings would make you think it was 1998 instead of 2008.&nbsp\\; I've got to see if I can network a friend in the aviation industry and score a deal like this.&nbsp\\; I've never heard of their "problem" before.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

He did tell me it is against the law to run that fuel in a street vehicle because there are no "Road Taxes" on it.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:07 PM
reeac
Tourer

We dump the drained jet fuel into the diesel cars and trucks that the guys have at work. The time and cost of filtering it makes it worth reusing it instead of having to throwing it out.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Ultra110
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell where is he located. If you don't want it I will burn it up in my boat!

Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

At 5.35 a gallon I'd be storing it and putting it back in the wings.

I could use some for my 73 Alfa Romeo it loves leaded fuel.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wont use anything less than JP4.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever use aviation fuel in their Harley?