Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 High Idle Fix from the MOCO

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:39 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default '08 High Idle Fix from the MOCO

To posters inquiring about having issues with high RPM's at idle on '08 bikes, Harley Davidson has come out with a TechTip addressing this issue.

In short, "the new calibration will leave the ECM powered up for 10 seconds after key is OFF to complete housekeeping, allowing the rider more opportunity to release the throttle grip, so the throttle&nbsp\\;control can return to zero before the ECM power is shutdown.This should eliminate rider induced zeroing issues.Additionally the new calibrations will be less sensitive to voltage changes due to an increased dead-band in the operating strategy. Under certain conditions and riding styles some customers may notice a slightly different throttle feel, or comment on reduced engine responsiveness. This is due to the increased dead-band and will feel similiar to a loose throttle cable adjustment on non-ETC vehicles".

Hang in their guys, HD will get it fixed.

I'll post as I know more.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:02 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts
Default RE: '08 High Idle Fix from the MOCO

&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;I'd prefer to avoid this "fix", hope they save it for the people who cause the problem.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 06:23 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

I also heard that holding your mouth in a semi-open position, farting 3 times, then run around the bike twice forwards and one time backwards, fall on ground, do the Curly shuffle then twist the throttle to and fro till it squeals like a pig also sets the idle back to ~1000 rpms.&nbsp\\;I can't verify this though, I have a lowly '07.

[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=escape.gif]&nbsp\\;[sm=icon_beat.gif] [sm=joke.gif]

Old 06-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

So how hard can it be to not touch the throttle and let it idle for a couple of seconds before you shut her down!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:37 PM
OnTheFence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic

To posters inquiring about having issues with high RPM's at idle on '08 bikes, Harley Davidson has come out with a TechTip addressing this issue.

In short, "the new calibration will leave the ECM powered up for 10 seconds after key is OFF to complete housekeeping, allowing the rider more opportunity to release the throttle grip, so the throttle&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;control can return to zero before the ECM power is shutdown.This should eliminate rider induced zeroing issues.Additionally the new calibrations will be less sensitive to voltage changes due to an increased dead-band in the operating strategy. Under certain conditions and riding styles some customers may notice a slightly different throttle feel, or comment on reduced engine responsiveness. This is due to the increased dead-band and will feel similiar to a loose throttle cable adjustment on non-ETC vehicles".
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;
Why does this sound like....well a bit of nonsense?&nbsp\\; Doesn't it sound odd to anyone that shutting off the Ignition switch, which also kills lights, radio, horn, cruise control, and guages. Somehow leaves power applied to ECM, the&nbsp\\;Twist Grip Sensors,&nbsp\\;the Throttle Control Actuator and the throttle position sensors. My days of&nbsp\\;Avionics are long gone and surely things have advanced quite a bit. But I am skeptical that a computer program is controlling whether power is actually on or not.
&nbsp\\;
I can buy the&nbsp\\;fact that the ECM&nbsp\\;may need an upgrade for this issue. But the&nbsp\\;idea&nbsp\\;to wait 10 seconds for someone to take their hand off the throttle sounds silly.&nbsp\\; Not to mention contradictory to the theory of operation in the Electrical manual, that clearly states that the Throttle Plates are actuated and checked for proper values, at which time the throttle plate position for idle is stored.
&nbsp\\;
Almost sounds like they have the problem dialed in. But don't have to admit there was a problem. They just adjusted a few parameters to overcome user problems.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008, 08:36 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic

In short, "the new calibration will leave the ECM powered up for 10 seconds after key is OFF to complete housekeeping, allowing the rider more opportunity to release the throttle grip, so the throttle&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;control can return to zero before the ECM power is shutdown.This should eliminate rider induced zeroing issues.Additionally the new calibrations will be less sensitive to voltage changes due to an increased dead-band in the operating strategy. Under certain conditions and riding styles some customers may notice a slightly different throttle feel, or comment on reduced engine responsiveness. This is due to the increased dead-band and will feel similiar to a loose throttle cable adjustment on non-ETC vehicles".

Reminds me of the drug commercials on TV, get rid of your heartburn but you may sufffer side effects such as projectile diarrhea, bleeding ulcers, facial sores, loss of vision, etc., but damn it, heartburn is gone.&nbsp\\; Let's see, you have a choice.&nbsp\\; Learn to take your hand off the throttle before you shut it down or let the MOCO "idiot proof" it and get a "loose cable" feel and reduced engine responsiveness.&nbsp\\; I've got almost 5K on my '08 and you guys are right, it can be duplicated.&nbsp\\; Raise the idle to about 1500 and shut the bike off.&nbsp\\; Start it up and it's right where you left off.&nbsp\\; It has happened on my bike twice, both times induced on purpose to show someone else.&nbsp\\; Funny thing is, I picked this thing up at the dealer, drove it exactly the same way I have driven all my shovels and have never had any of the throttle problems unless I want to make them occur.&nbsp\\; I'm with the rest of these guys who ask, "How big a deal is it to stop, idle a couple seconds and shut it off?&nbsp\\; I still back into parking spaces instead of flyin' in and shuttin' off.&nbsp\\; Maybe it's my idle time backing up that elimintes the problem, who knows? ..........

Old 06-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Moby
Cruiser

From this forum, I became aware of this problem and the fix if it occurred. Last week my wife and I were touring through PA and WV. I always turn off the bike with my hand off the throttle and RPMs at 1,000. On several occasions, when starting the bike in the morning, idle RPMs were at 2,500 and stayed there until we rode off. I have no idea why this happened. I tried rotating the throttle past zero and that reduced RPMs a little\\; but didn't return idle to 1,000. Sometimes the next start-up would be normal, other times the idle was high. I wasn't quite certain I remembered the cure\\; but after this happening several times I cycled the ignition on/off four times (I think three might be all that is needed) and it solved the problem. I don't like this happening\\; but I sure don't want to reduce throttle response with the current fix.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Lincolnhog
Tourer

now if they can find a fix for randomly shutting down

Old 06-29-2008, 05:08 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mountainkowboy

So how hard can it be to not touch the throttle and let it idle for a couple of seconds before you shut her down!
Exactly. i dont get it[]

Old 06-29-2008, 05:08 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

The same thing happens to the new bikes at our shop.The mechanics start the bikes and they idle at 2500 rpms and have to be reset with the series of on/off four times routine.&nbsp\\;Sporatic it seems, but HD is assuring our techs a fix is on the way.That tech tip is supposed to be a temporary fix. I'm confident a fix is on the way.

Quick Reply: '08 High Idle Fix from the MOCO