Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Street Glide) Lowers, Air Deflectors, or Both?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:52 AM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default (Street Glide) Lowers, Air Deflectors, or Both?

For those that have tried (or currently use) both lowers and air deflectors...

How effective are each at reducing the wind/buffeting/turbulence for the rider?

I'm 6'4 and have engine guard-mounted foot pegs. When I throw my size 13s out there, I get quite a bit of wind coming up underneath the fairing... Would like less turbulence at freeway speeds.

I realize these two add-ons are completely different, but am wondering if one or the other (or both) might address my issue.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:59 AM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: (Street Glide) Lowers, Air Deflectors, or Both?

i think the lowers are best for head buffeting i dont have that problem since
i changed my windsheild to clearview

Old 06-25-2008, 12:05 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use lowers, wings on the fairing and the center fork deflector - makes a big difference.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I would highly reccomend that you try the $20 fork baffle first. The holes are pre drilled and tapped. Just two bolts to mount it. That made a huge difference in reducing the updraft on my chest and face.
&nbsp\\;
Dennis

Old 06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Im sure the lowers will work the best. I have the same issue, wind running up my leg into my face when on the highway pegs. Im actually working on developing a fix for that, but I digress.

BUT

The fairing deflectors DO help with your problem. Don't completely eliminate it, but they do help. For $30, its a cheap fix to try before you plonk down $600 on lowers. You may find it helps enough to make you happy.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just put the fork baffle and a Klockwerks curved windshield on my FLHX. Big difference, especially when you add elephant ears to the crashbar. Hd sells the ears for about $30 in vinyl, $60 in leather and they snap on.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I assume "air deflectors" means the type that fit on your fairing under the mirrors. If you mean the chrome deflectors that fit on the forks, these won't fit an SG.

I have both the fairing air deflectors (Freedom Wings) and lowers. From my experience the lowers make much more difference for the type of turbulence you mention, which is when your feet are on the highway pegs. Keep in mind that you'll probably need to relocate the highway pegs, as there are fewer options for mounting with the lowers attached. I have mine high, a few inches higher than yours are now, but some people mount them low. My legs aren't long enough to mount them low, but you will probably find that position best.

I don't see a downside to the lowers, except that engine temperatures may run a bit higher when in slow-moving or non-moving traffic since air will tend to be trapped around the lowers. While moving I see an actual decrease in oil temperatures with the lowers attached, and this is because the lowers channel air toward the engine that would otherwise pass around it. I also think they make the bike more aerodynamic, and seem to have increased my highway mileage a bit. On a recent trip to the TX Hill Country I averaged 45.5mpg peaking at 50.5mpg, so IMO they don't cause addition aerodynamic drag like you might think. So far with the vents open I get adequate ventilation on my legs and I don't see removing them in summer months. OTOH, the lowers create a vacuum behind them, sucking hot air from the engine near my legs, but surprisingly I don't find that this causes discomfort. FWIW to owners of other EG's or RK's, the chrome fork-mounted deflectors work almost as well as lowers for reducing buffeting\\; i.e., air coming up from under the tank. I had them on my old RK and never removed them.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:31 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree the OP should try the fairing deflectors first, then buy lowers if this doesn't help enough. I think these are worthwhile with or without lowers, but for me lowers made the biggest difference.

I'd like to mention that I also have the fork baffle between the forks, mentioned by Dennis (rochkes), but I don't think it works as well as the other two mods for the type of problem the OP is experiencing. Before attaching the lowers on my bike I had the baffle installed, and I had quite a bit of buffeting when my feet were on the highway pegs. When I mounted the baffle early in my ownership of this bike I really didn't notice much of a difference, but bought it thinking it channeled more air toward the engine for cooling. Some claim it does the opposite, but I think it should help.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:34 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

iclick,
I was very interested in your assessment of the lowers. I have only ridden one HD with lowers and it was an 04 Ultra. I had an 05 Heritage at the time. I first thought his brakes were dragging because of the rapid decel when I let off the throttle. I thought it was extra drag from the lowers, but after reading what you posted about it, I now believe I got the wrong impression about what lowers do to the aerodymamics of a bike.
&nbsp\\;
Dennis

Old 06-25-2008, 02:43 PM
MadDuck
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front fork air deflectors fit my 07 Street Glide fine.&nbsp\\; They did impact the engine guard so I removed it.&nbsp\\; They really do change the airflow to the rider and they are the best priced by far.&nbsp\\; The SG does look better without the engine guard.&nbsp\\; Leaner more purposeful.

Quick Reply: (Street Glide) Lowers, Air Deflectors, or Both?